Wrestling Forum banner

WWE too serious to be popular ?

2628 23
Why so serious ?

Suddendly I had an illumination. WWE is unpopular not because it's unrealistic or not bloody enough, but simply because WWE is too serious and far away from what pro-wrestling was during its peak. WWE is popular with kids alright, but is now unpopular with pro-wrestling fans and only focus to short pushes. I don't see WWE using this tactic on long duration.

WWE is unpopular among us because it's too serious and isn't pro-wrestling anymore. Pro-wrestling isn't a sport or a serious business. Pro-wrestling always was and is sport entertainement. Pro-wrestling isn't about star pushing, jobbing or realism.

Gimmicks, unrealistic stuff, paranormal activities, dramatisation and Good vs Evil battle are part of pro-wrestling. There are needed for specific groups of fans and can be entertaining. For the same reasons, there shouln't be over superstars and jobbers. Everybody and all wrestlers can be potentially loved and all fans must have a wrestler to cheer without hating messages. Jobbers weren't total jobbers in the past.

---> Nowadays everybody is generic (without crazyness and uniqueness) and 3/4 of the roster is buried.

People in the forums and new fans are nowadays too serious and try to compare pro-wrestling with sports and MMA. The origin of this seriousness comes from the fact that WWE is itself focusing on seriousness (a few super stars and realism).

This product isn't pro-wrestling and doesn't catch the attention of the pro-wrestling fans. WWE is probably missing its main audience and losing many fans due to its seriousness, in long time it will be a nightmare and a huge failure.

Wrestlers are also too muscular, they now lack agility and quickness.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for your answers. We need to come back to spectacle. Nowadays everyone are generic.

Papa Shango was a real draw.

But I actually do agree that there's room for way more gimmickry than is present. The downside being that guys don't get to hone their gimmicks in the territories anymore, and if they did, they'd have to drop them when they hit WWE anyway for trademarks.
Yes sadly. the worst hing is that most current big superstars from WWE were born in Indies. Those wrestlers use their gimmicks and personnalities from Indies (CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, "Stone Cold" Steve Austin, etc.) Since a long time ago, WWE hasn't created a superstar from nothing. WWE already takes the risk of trademarks.

WWE isn't in the "comic-book" era anymore.
I know we aren't in "comics-book era", but gimmicks are good to draw popularity.

WWE is wrong when they try to push only a few guys and job all others. They aren't a sport and don't need ultimate and invincible champions who can destroy everybody. The roster has to be mobile and able to evolve.

· Registered
4,724 Posts
I agree. Everyone is generic. There may be a total of 10 (I'm being generous) actual characters on their programming.

I miss the over the top gimmicks.

· Ex Con With A Heart Of Gold
10,891 Posts
You mean the era when everybody knew who The Rock and Stone Cold were?
You mean the era of The Undertaker feuding with Mankind?
The era when the B show got better ratings than the A show gets today?

Don't be so dismissive. I mean, I know you love your CAW wrestlers with names
like "Mikey McGuillicutty" but the Attitude Era did have some good things about.

· Banned
4,575 Posts
There definitely has to be a middle-ground between WWE and CHIKARA. They definitely need to add some gimmicks. The last one was, who, The Boogeyman?

· Inappropriately tinkly music.
7,092 Posts
Thanks for your answers. We need to come back to spectacle. Nowadays everyone are generic.

Yes sadly. the worst hing is that most current big superstars from WWE were born in Indies. Those wrestlers use their gimmicks and personnalities from Indies (CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, "Stone Cold" Steve Austin, etc.) Since a long time ago, WWE hasn't created a superstar from nothing. WWE already takes the risk of trademarks.

I know we aren't in "comics-book era", but gimmicks are good to draw popularity.

WWE is wrong when they try to push only a few guys and job all others. They aren't a sport and don't need ultimate and invincible champions who can destroy everybody. The roster has to be mobile and able to evolve.
Incidentally, I don't think there's anything wrong with treating it like a sport in some respects. The title should be the centre of the show. The commentators should call the action, not retread details of some entirely different storyline (and they certainly shouldn't be the focus - see Cole and King). Sometimes matches should just be about working your way up the rankings: there's no reason Zack Ryder or Dibiase shouldn't beat Yoshi Tatsu one week, DH Smith the next, and then get a match with Bryan for the US title, with or without a storyline.

The sporting aspects can be used well, as long as its balanced with personality.

· also known as a BUSTER
13,290 Posts
Bloody hell Taro, make your mind up lol.

Seriously though, you are right to anticipate that the next big trend will be everyone wanting crazy gimmicks again. Fashions tend to go in cycles. There'll be a few years of ROH/MMA-like guys dominating and then the wheel will turn again. Basically, completing a 360 from what started with ECW and the subsequent Attitude Era.

In this respect, I think Mike Quackenbush will be proven to have been ahead of his time.

· Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Bloody hell Taro, make your mind up lol.

Seriously though, you are right to anticipate that the next big trend will be everyone wanting crazy gimmicks again. Fashions tend to go in cycles. There'll be a few years of ROH/MMA-like guys dominating and then the wheel will turn again. Basically, completing a 360 from what started with ECW and the subsequent Attitude Era.

In this respect, I think Mike Quackenbush will be proven to have been ahead of his time.
I am not only speaking about crazy gimmicks, but about the capacity to produce different and diverse wrestlers or long booking. WWE is now totally boring and they only push 10 guys and bury everyone else (shooting themselves in the foot when they have to developp credible new opponents).

Simple gimmicks and complicated storylines have to be created firstly. Later the crazy gimmicks will come again (fashion circle) in my opinion they will be a good way to gain new fans (kids and adults) and a huge popularity. I won't speak about money and merchandising.

Mike "Master of thousands holds" Quackenbush is great and made a good choice.

maybe we're too serious nowadays - cant just sit back and enjoy without analyzing it all to death

try just watching for a weeks without spoilers, reading forums, posting ideas, etc....it can be refreshing
Internet killed spontaneity and surprise probably, but you use it too.

· Registered
2,515 Posts
Im not sure if its "character" that wrestlers need, althoguh I do think that it would help a few of them. I think that they just need to be able to be themselves. WWE just tries to make everyone fit their version of what a heel should be or what a babyface should be. WWE needs to start letting the wrestlers perform with a little more freedom.

· Banned
2,204 Posts
WWE ISNT SERIOUS ENOUGH IN ANY STRETCH OF THE IMAGINATION!!

Gekisou Sentai Car Rangers, Shrek and The Abridged Series has shown us that its okay to let loose and have some fun with what you got as long as it was productive and entertaining in its own right

wrestling by now is rather infamous for appealing to the lowest common denominator

but Chikara is the only true exception because they replace seriousness with creative original and funny refrances and athletically based Jackie Chan stuntwork, it had nothing to do with dumbing anything down and using headlocks and restholds and weak punches for ten minutes straight

but even i have reservations for the infamous hypnosis dance from Cage Of death

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.