Over the last two and a ha;f months the belt went from
Cena to Punk
Mysterio wins tournament
Mysterio to Cena
Punk wins unfification
Punk to Mexican JBL
Mexican JBL to Cena
Cena to Mexican JBL

What the hell is going on is an understatement here. Four different guys have WWE Title runs in the last two and a half months. Some years happen without four different guys having the belt (2007, 2006 and 2005 being recent examples). Hell in 2004 there was only three runs that even occurred during the year and Brock Lesnar entered the year already having been champion for three months. Ever since 2009 they have started having more title changes but they are actually getting worse. At this rate Cena is going to beat Flair's record by Mania. In all honesty five different guys have held each World Title this year so ten different guys have been World Champion during the year (Miz, Ziggler, Edge, Christian, Randy Orton, Rey Mysterio, John Cena, CM Punk, Mark Henry and Mexican JBL). Last year had eleven different guys (Cena, Orton, Sheamus, Jericho, Undertaker, Edge, Miz, Batista, Mysterio, Swagger and Kane). Meanwhile 2009 had nine, 2008 had eight, 2007 had seven and so did 2006 and 2005 had four. You see the trend there. Also keep in my mind this is just different guys not different reigns. I want someone to keep the belt for six months just to restore credibility (but not Mexican JBL because that would accomplish nothing).

·
Sheriff of Piltover
2,880 Posts
First of all, Bradshaw is an American ADR, not the other way around. Secondly, I don't mind the title changes as long as it makes for a good story. I don't want a PPV were I can predict who is going to win based on the fact that the title doesn't change that often, but that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
688 Posts
It's because the WWE has no direction, I also blame Cena to be honest. The dude has had 10 reigns and the 10th one lasting 14 days, why does he agree to that? I'm sure he has power backstage.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Cena & Orton should have just held the belts from the moment Orton beat Christian on SD until Mania. To be fair, right now, Punk needs his lengthy reign.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
It's getting worse I agree. The problem is also the fact they have two world titles, 50% more chance of someone winning it these days, although I dread to think how often that (single title) would be tossed around in this day and age.

·
Ted the Moth
12,865 Posts
Nothing new. But to be honest it's things like this that make the WWE seem really fucking thoughtless. Why is it that you had your champion tap like a bitch to Superman, only to let him win it back two weeks later? Just reiterating the point that "by the way, audience, John Cena is still way better than him." No damn point.

It was almost poetic in a messed up sort of way, because Del Rio's first WWE championship reign is pretty identical to Edge's. While the payoff from that was a great feud with Cena (with an equally great feud with Foley as interim), for this? I can't even understand why they'd do it. The title picture is a great big clusterfuck. Getting the title off Del Rio would have made more creative opportunities, which is the only excuse for doing that to Del Rio imo. But they did nothing, it's so messed up.

·
Registered
22,514 Posts
I think I understand why Cena is getting all these pointless reigns. They are trying to get him 18 number of reigns so going into Mania, he can brag to The Rock about how he has won more world titles than anyone else in the history of WWE. Stupid but they are trying to come up with material for him to use against The Rock since he got verbally buried and COMPLETELY DESTROYED 13th July 2011 over on YouTube.

Cena played with Rock's fire and shortly before Money in the Bank, he BLEW UP!

·
Administrator
58,995 Posts
I don't think creative has a clue what they are doing from the long term perspective. They are simply booking week by week and it's evident by the WWE title matches. That, along with the fact that I don't think they trust anyone with a long title reign unless it's Cena.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
I don't think creative has a clue what they are doing from the long term perspective. They are simply booking week by week and it's evident by the WWE title matches. That, along with the fact that I don't think they trust anyone with a long title reign unless it's Cena.
True, minus the upcoming Mania etc with The Rock, I bet they have no idea what they are doing with insert name here _____ in 2 months time+

·
Registered
339 Posts
you people whine when Cena is champion again yet when he drops it you still complain. Gotta love the IWC. In my opinion the internet has ruined the business. Before I just used to tune in every monday and friday. No expectations, no over analyzing storylines, no spoilers.

·
Banned
4,257 Posts
It's not the best situation, but it's more bearable than having Cena and Orton year-long title reigns.
The last WWE title reign that really meant a shit was Cena 2006-07.

·
Registered
22,514 Posts
you people whine when Cena is champion again yet when he drops it you still complain. Gotta love the IWC. In my opinion the internet has ruined the business. Before I just used to tune in every monday and friday. No expectations, no over analyzing storylines, no spoilers.
The problem is not Cena winning/losing the title. It's how they are tossing it around and treating it like a joke. If they plan on giving Del Rio a proper reign, why take the title off him at NoC and then give it back 2 weeks later? No good reason other than their stupidly annoying treatment of Cena. They give him and take the title from him monthly now. If you want him to give him meaningless reigns just to get the numbers up, at least give it some time and not hand it back and forth between Cena and whoever two weeks in between each reign.

·
Registered
22,514 Posts
Hopefully Del Rio will hold the strap until Wrestlemania now.
If that happens I will automatically skip championship matches and segments. But thankfully, I'm doubting it. People will get bored by WM time of him. But on the bright side, it would mean Cena is out of the title picture for some meaningful feud again.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I really think they're trying to get Cena to beat Flair's record. Flair had a dream end with a full celebration at the WWE- a few weeks later he's doing his australian wrestling tour and then he goes to TNA. You know how bitter the wwe can be; by getting Cena to 17 reigns, they won't have that particular record tarnished by Flair.

·
Premium Member
5,644 Posts
It should have just stayed on Punk the whole time, then ADR wins his 1st title in Mexico

·
Recognize
21,503 Posts
The title has officially become meaningless to me after last night. I really don't care what the fuck they do with it anymore. It's worthless after all this fucking ridiculous booking and is going to take some serious work to bring it back to being anywhere close to a prestigious title. I'd say the last two reigns that really meant something were Cena in 06/07 and HHH in 08. Both of them held the title for longer than 2 minutes, they defended it in some pretty good feuds and the title actually felt like it was something important.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts