Wrestling Forum banner

WWE SuperStars Max Bench*

8K views 37 replies 30 participants last post by  Alo0oy 
#1 · (Edited)
http://www.wwe.com/inside/wwe-superstars-max-bench-press-26161895/page-2

Keep in mind, some (with an *) numbers are for reps and not maxs. Also, take into account their height and body weight. For example, Antonio Cesaro is extremely lean where as Big Show is heavy set.

Based on body type (height, weight, BF%) I think Roman Reigns and Cena are the strongest on Bench overall. Swagger is just upsetting.

Ryback = 550 lbs.
What is the most you have ever bench pressed?
Five hundred fifty pounds. Even though right now I feel like I’m good for between 560 and 580, 550 is my official best.

How important is strength training to a WWE Superstar?
Strength training is pivotal in my performance. It’s extremely important. At the same time, remaining healthy is also a priority. With all the power moves that I do in the ring — moves that you don’t see a lot of guys do today — it is extremely important for me to keep my strength as high as possible, while keeping my health the same level.

Who is the most impressive bench presser you have witnessed in person?
Myself. I’m thoroughly impressed with myself each and every day that I wake up.

What’s the best way for a person to increase his max bench press?
You gotta train heavy. Set goals for yourself and then each and every week slowly chip away at it until you reach your goal and don't stop. So if my goal is to bench press 580 pounds and I’m at 550, I’m going to try to better that number every week and try to go 555, 560, 565 until I get to 580. You might have some weeks that you’re stronger than others, but your goal is to keep moving forward.

Titus O'neil = 545 lbs.
Five hundred forty-five pounds.

Strength training is very important. But implementing some conditioning, along with your strength training, is even more important.

In WWE, Big E Langston. Outside of WWE, Mo Collins, who I played college football with. He was a first-round draft pick of the Oakland Raiders. He benched about 575.

Be on a four- to six-week strength cycle where you’re doing low reps, with an adequate amount of weight, to work up to a one-rep max.

Antonio Cesaro = 405 lbs.
Four hundred five pounds, but who cares how much you bench?!

What’s important is your functional strength. You can’t be a WWE Superstar without doing strength training. Well, looking at some of the guys, you apparently can. But I highly recommend not doing it. If you want to be the best in the ring, you have to be in the greatest shape that you can. To me, it’s about being in better shape every single day. That’s how you should live your life. You should be better every single day. You should be better tomorrow than you were today.

Who cares?! (Editor’s note: When pressed for an answer, Cesaro revealed it’s Big E Langston.)

Ask Big E Langston!

Kane = 520 lbs.
Five hundred twenty-five pounds with no [bench] shirt, no wraps, nothing.

It’s very important. If you’re stronger than your opponent, you definitely have an advantage.

Mark Henry. He is an incredibly strong man. Everything Mark does in the weight room is impressive.

Eat a lot. Go heavy and go hard!

Jack Swagger = 457* lbs.
Three hundred fifteen pounds for 16 reps. So that comes out to about 457 for a max.

It’s very important, because it protects your body and keeps you safe. When you get bumps and bruises, the better shape you’re in, the faster you recover.

Leading up to WrestleMania, the Mark Henry vs. Ryback bench press challenge with 225 pounds was very impressive. The speed and sheer amount of reps that they did was phenomenal. It was cool to see live.

Go lower weight, higher reps at first. You get stronger than when going for just one or two reps. And also do a lot of supersets. Do bench press and then light dumbbell flys. You can also do that with incline bench, then flys. Have about six total different ways to work the muscle and go low weights and keeping working at it. You’ll see the results.

Roman Reigns = 445 lbs.
Four hundred forty-five pounds, but that was on a Monday morning before Raw.

It’s pretty crucial, because there’s obviously a standard and if you don’t match up to it, you get destroyed.

I’m going to take full credit for this: Big E Langston. While we were in developmental, I spotted him on 575 pounds. I’m convinced that he would not have been able to do it without me there.

Negatives. Focus on negatives and do a lot of dips.

Big Show = 500* lbs.
Five hundred pounds for 12 reps.

Strength training is very important. With the way we knock our bodies around, it’s very important to keep a good physical fitness routine to protect your joints, back, shoulders and neck. The more functionally strong you make yourself, the longer you can keep your career.

Big E Langston.

When I first started out, I wasn’t benching 500 pounds. I think the first time I ever benched, it was about 350 pounds. Then, I would do one- to two-rep sets, trying to go heavier, giving myself plenty of rest in between each set. When you’re trying to put that kind of mass on, it’s a different theory than high reps. It’s low rep, heavy weight and controlled. If you’re going to be a legit bencher, it’s not bouncing the weight off your chest like some kind of goofball screaming in the gym. The guy I like to watch work out is John Cena. He throws around a massive amount of weight and you’d think he’s sitting there doing his taxes. He’s not a yeller or screamer in the gym. He’s a very efficient weight lifter.

John Cena = 465 lbs.
Four hundred sixty-five pounds.

I think it all depends on style and approach. It’s not an integral piece, but certainly being strong will help you.

Big E Langston. Five hundred seventy-five pounds raw.

Bench!

Big E Langston = 575 lbs.
Five hundred seventy-five pounds.

It’s essential, especially for me. Some people use their agility, some people use different facets of athleticism, but strength is very important to what I do in the ring and I think it shows.

In person, I haven’t seen anyone bench more than me.

The best way to improve the bench press is by bench pressing — like anything in life. But I like to do different things — like bench pressing with chains and bands — as a way to put different stress on the muscle and vary things.

See less See more
#15 ·
Getting back into lifting myself as of late. Obviously I'm nowhere close to these guys' level but it's fun to watch their videos.

Big E's was pretty cool. You know you're doing something right when people stop what their doing just to watch you lift weights. I hope Big E continues to move up the ladder and becomes at WWE Champion some day and definitely I.C. Champion in the near future. Maybe he could also become a new Paul Heyman guy which could help lead to those title opportunities.

It'd be better than Foodback.

#32 ·
Big E's was pretty cool. You know you're doing something right when people stop what their doing just to watch you lift weights.
Granted he was surrounded by WWE cameras and is a fairly popular superstar. Although the fact that he's benching that much with no spotter blows my mind.

#25 ·
That's ridiculous from Langston. Him and prime Lesnar must have some crazy stats.

#27 ·
I really cant imagine a prime Kane not being able to bench as much as Ryback, i highly suspect he was strapped the fuck up to pull that off.

There's a story about Kurt Angle who managed to bust out 3 reps at i think 425 and was proper hyped... then Kane came in a rocked out a set of 10 without even trying haha.

#28 ·
Kane was/is probably stronger than Ryback, he lifted Big Show easy back in the day and he was just huge, he also powerslammed Khali easy at I think wm23, anyways most of those stories on internet are not true.
One of those stories said Kane bench pressed 650 and injured himself doing 660 in some local gym lol.

#30 ·
12 X 500lbs bench is crazy.

Just did a quick research and read that Andre the Giant in 1992 was rumoured to have been spotted at 4AM in his normal clothes casually bench-pressing 505lbs.

And apparently all of the Superstars listed here can bench more than da Game :HHH

#33 ·
And apparently all of the Superstars listed here can bench more than da Game :HHH
:trips

Holy shit at these numbers BTW. I'm really into lifting myself, and it's mind-blowing how strong pro athletes are. Cesaro is a freak for a guy that isn't huge like Big E, Ryback or Cena.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.