1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
If you read that sweatshirt and believe there's a racial issue, then the issue is with you.

·
TONI POR TODO!
4,539 Posts
One kid name a monkey in his sweatshirt and the other has a tiger. Both animals are intelligent and survive succesfully. Just because one is a major predator and the other not, doesn't mean there should be some racial controversy there...

·
Baby It's Violence
7,115 Posts
I mean, you could make a connection, but I'm sure it wasn't meant like that. Same with the people who rage and got "professional offended" when Georgia's Department of Corrections's Christmas card was done with a cotton field in the background, while they have black employees.

People need to stop being offended over anything and reaching for connotations that most likely weren't made. It's annoying as shit when its done so often.

·
WeeWoo WeeWoo
20,074 Posts
Honestly, I don't think it was intentional, but that makes it somewhat even worse because how goddamn dense and stupid do you have to be to approve that without thinking? The sweatshirt design is ugly and stupid anyways, but that ad is just...something else. fpalm

·
Banned
2,360 Posts
If you read that sweatshirt and believe there's a racial issue, then the issue is with you.
and of course a Hulk Hogan fan has no issue with this what so ever. your daughter ain't dating a black guy is she?

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
I mean, I'm not saying they intended for that ad to be racist, but they've GOT to have PR people on payroll to say, "hey, uh, this might be a bad look, let's switch these sweatshirts in case someone gets the wrong idea here."
Probably those PR people thought it would be better to leave things like they are exactly because someone would notice and this would be all ove the news. Some people like to believe that any publicity is good publicity, so there might be the chance that there was purpose behind this.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I mean, I'm not saying they intended for that ad to be racist, but they've GOT to have PR people on payroll to say, "hey, uh, this might be a bad look, let's switch these sweatshirts in case someone gets the wrong idea here."
Pretty much my thoughts. I believe Einstein was the one who said "Never attribute to malice what can equally be attributed to stupidity." Or to put it in another way "[They] aren't bad people, they're just idiots."

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
this has nothing to do with offense or not offense...but everything to do with people not researching or looking at context for 'internet headlines'. There was a SELECTION if hoodies the kid could wear. The black kid had the option of the tiger shirt, another shirt, and the monkey shirt. In this particular instance, it was the monkey shirt. The black child could have worn any sweatshirt and one was "coolest monkey" or whatever. Just like the white kid could've had the same thing.

If there was a billboard or a magazine ad print with this black kid wearing the shirt is the ONLY thing used then I'd laugh and say "holy shit H&M talk about whoops haha" but this isnt the case

·
Premium Member
38,759 Posts
Even in kid on the right in the ad is looking at the hoodie the kid on the left is wearing and is thinking, um you really think that is a good idea lol

Not sure how in this day and age the person approving the ad wouldn't think this wouldn't cause a backlash even if it's not meant to be racist.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.