Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey does anybody know how much control the wrestler has over his/her attire? I know guys dress to their character like taker is graveyardish/demonish and like maybe hornswoggle USED to dress lepracaughnish. Do the wrestlers/divas like choose patterns and like designs on their clothes? How about like when things are added to their attire like maybe a hoodie, or even the minute details that I notice guys on here complain about like Cody Rhodes not having knee pads or Orton losing his wrist tape. Is that their decison, or is it supposed to be like that to make their character seem more heel/face? All I know is that the attire really fits everyone so perfectly. Oh, how about like the normal basic attire- do guys decide if they want trunks, a singlet, or tights (or in the case of zack ryder a mix) and for divas like skirts (which I think wwe did away of or so since Mickie lost hers) or leatherish pants I guess. (whatever you really want to call their attire nowadays)

·
Registered
13 Posts
From what I understand, Undertaker was once telling Punk that he needs to "dress more professional" if he's going to be a belt holder, and Punk said something like "Wel, Cena get's to walk around in his jean shorts." and Undertaker whined to managment and Punk had to lose the belt.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
In Bret Hart's book he says that the one time Vince saw him in pink and black that he liked it so much he said that's what he would wear from then on

·
Registered
184 Posts
Well, jericho had free control for his attire for his debut. He wrote this in his book when im not mistaken.
He wanted the hair of Gene from Kiss :D

·
Premium Member
10,169 Posts
From what I understand, Undertaker was once telling Punk that he needs to "dress more professional" if he's going to be a belt holder, and Punk said something like "Wel, Cena get's to walk around in his jean shorts." and Undertaker whined to managment and Punk had to lose the belt.
There is a difference between wrestling attires and everyday clothes though. Maybe not with Cena, however.

Wrestling attires will ultimately depend on gimmicks, but the wrestler will get some input.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Basically the wrestler can come up with it himself as long as
A) It doesn't violate his gimmick (eg. The Undertaker wearing a dress)
and
B) Management approve it.

Cody Rhodes said recently he took the idea of his jacket from some comic book, brought a shot to Management and they said go for it.

·
The Ayatolla of Rock N Rolla
5,058 Posts
Oh yeah I remember that.

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
This was about how he dressed on a day-to-day basis, in the back whilst at shows etc.

There is a woman who does the outfits for the WWE guys and depending on what plans they are for the guys gimmick depends how much input he gets on his attire. For example a guy might be told exactly what to wear and the woman makes it because Vince has a set idea. Or they send the guy to the tailor with a vague idea and say work something out with her, at which point the guy will go and get to give a large ammount of input into it.

·
Premium Member
4,757 Posts
A perfect example of idiotic backstage politics, if this is true that is.

And back onto the actual topic, I believe superstars get a fair amount of input depending on their beliefs/gimmick, for example Michelle Mccool has the Christian cross symbols on her attire because she's a Christian.

Vince obviously needs to approve aswell.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
As far as i know, from reading Books, they can decide what they wear, as somebody said as long as it doesn't violate the Gimmick. And i guess WWE can take a veto if they dont like it, and they even can make you wear something just cause it fits.

·
Buried SCOTT STEINER
6,532 Posts
What did Undertaker mean by Punk's attire by dreesing more "professional". I don't see nothing wrong about Punk's attire.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
RVD had all his ring gear custom made outside of WWE during his run there. But I think most of the WWE's stuff is designed in house though?

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
i think it all depends. if it's a set character like a doink the clown or something, they're basically given an outfit and are told to wear it. the undertaker is a little different...he can modify it some etc. but people with real names, i believe are given an idea, and then they make it their own.

speaking of taker, i miss his FIRST outfit...maybe it's just me...idk.

·
Premium Member
10,516 Posts
What did Undertaker mean by Punk's attire by dreesing more "professional". I don't see nothing wrong about Punk's attire.
'Punk was not dressing like a champion when he was a champion' ie no suit, looking scruffy etc.

And i'm sure that they have a lot of freedom when it comes to their attire. However Vince Mcmahon could tell them to change it if he wants them to. Like Miz changed from his shorts to trunks because Vince Mcmahon said he looks better with them. Zack Ryder also recently changed his attire because those half tights or w/e you wanna call it looked stupid.

·
Asuka
96,262 Posts
You actually believe that bullshit?

That's so easy to see right through. For starters, if there was an issue with the way Punk dressed, Vince wouldn't have given him the belt at all, not to mention 2 world title runs previously. And if Vince didn't have a problem with it, you can be assured Undertaker didn't. Secondly, "dress more professional" coming from a guy like Undertaker? The guy is a fucking biker. Thirdly, the guy he was trading the belt with before Taker showed up, Jeff Hardy, looked even more "unprofessional" than he did. Fourthly, Punk dropping the belt was inevitable. Undertaker was just returning and hadn't been seen in months, and they wanted a big time face to carry the belt in Jeff Hardy's absense. In fact, I said Undertaker would immediately go for the belt when he returned, Punk would win at Breaking Point and Taker would win the title at HIAC, and it happened. It was easy to predict that formula, it's straight out of WWE's playbook.

There's no dress code conspiracy against Punk, it's totally absurd for people to believe in that shit. I guarantee as soon as Sheamus loses the WWE title, some report is gonna claim that Cena complained to management that he needs a tan and people are actually gonna buy it. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
5,644 Posts
WWE Management once asked Christian to cut his hair, but he said he wanted it to mean something when he cut it. So he won the IC Title at JD2003 cut his hair, beat down The Rock and got a new catchphrase.

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
A lot of the guys that reverted to the speed tights instantly got taken more seriously. The ones I can think of are Orton, Miz, CM Punk and in some ways even Chris Jericho. There's pretty much universal praise for Miz ditching the board shorts. Punk was wise and ditched by the time he signed with WWE.

Sometimes body type plays factor like with Jack Swagger. Swagger is in fantastic shape but he doesn't have the classic chiseled look so the singlet suits him perfectly.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts