Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read this and let me tell you I find this alarming period.

http://www.tmz.com/2010/10/26/vince-mcmahon-sues-connecticut-over-wwe-linda-mcmahon-lawsuit/

Vince McMahon is raising hell in Connecticut -- the WWE honcho just filed a lawsuit claiming the CT Secretary of the State had no right to ban WWE clothing from the polls ... just because his wife Linda is running for U.S. Senate.

Vince's beef is with a new directive from the Sec. of the State's office that gives officials the power to turn away anyone who wears WWE clothing within 75 feet of a polling place ... because it could be interpreted as a solicitation on behalf of Linda McMahon's candidacy.

In the documents, filed today in federal court in Connecticut -- McMahon claims the ban will "threaten the constitutional rights and liberties of voters who have expressed a desire to wear WWE paraphernalia to their poling places."

Vince also states in the docs that he will fight the power -- and "intends to wear WWE paraphernalia when he enters the polling place to cast his vote on November 2, 2010."

Vince -- who also notes that Linda is not employed by WWE -- is demanding that a judge immediately reverse the ban.

So far, no word from the Sec. of State.

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
Oh Lord lol

·
Bowing down to the BEAST INCARNATE
4,567 Posts
Well, for one, there are more alarming issues at the end when the United States of America are concerned, but, then again, The Constitution was based on the principle of freedom of speech, among other things, and if that right is being taken away from Americans, I don't see why Vince McMahon can't 'fight the power'.

·
New Game. New Rules. New Era.
4,440 Posts
Isn't that the same rule at even the Presidential election that voters can't wear clothing to the polls promoting a candidate? Give it a rest Vince.

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
It may not technically be campaigning for Linda McMahon but thats what Vince wants to do. The only reason anyone knows who Linda McMahon is is because of the WWE. I just can't wait for the stupid election to be over. It's not like its going to change anything.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, for one, there are more alarming issues at the end when the United States of America are concerned, but, then again, The Constitution was based on the principle of freedom of speech, among other things, and if that right is being taken away from Americans, I don't see why Vince McMahon can't 'fight the power'.
I think this is the one time Vince is in the right.What if someone from the Levi Strauss or Knight family ran for political office, does everybody wearing Levi jeans or Nike shoes get turned away?

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I find it funny that Vince is doing this to protect these "first amendment rights" and stand up for freedom of expression, when his company has been known to take signs from people because it might interfere with kayfabe or refer to a wrestler who no longer works with the company. If you showed up to a WWE event in a TNA shirt, chances are you would be either told to cover it up, or leave. I find this just a tad hypocritical.

·
BLUE IS BACK
9,773 Posts
vince makes perfect sense... linda does not work with the WWE, therefore you can't just ban them, because the person is known by something else..

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I agree with WWE. Their shirts are quite different from a campaign shirt, and who wears them anyway? People who support Linda and people who wear WWE clothes are generally nothing alike lol. It's not like the "WWE Universe" is going to show up with their merchandise.

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
It's a stupid rule, but Vince is acting like the rule is made especially for him. The rule's been there, Vince. No matter what, Linda will ALWAYS be connected to the WWE. Just what do you think you're doing with "Stand Up for WWE?" You didn't want the WWE to be involved, but you just did, hence why the shirts are banned.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I find it funny that Vince is doing this to protect these "first amendment rights" and stand up for freedom of expression, when his company has been known to take signs from people because it might interfere with kayfabe or refer to a wrestler who no longer works with the company. If you showed up to a WWE event in a TNA shirt, chances are you would be either told to cover it up, or leave. I find this just a tad hypocritical.
I think it's more about a person right to vote then freedom of speech or that is how I am taking it.

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
vince makes perfect sense... linda does not work with the WWE, therefore you can't just ban them, because the person is known by something else..
I agree with WWE. Their shirts are quite different from a campaign shirt, and who wears them anyway? People who support Linda and people who wear WWE clothes are generally nothing alike lol. It's not like the "WWE Universe" is going to show up with their merchandise.
You guys have to remember that WWE did a direct response to the opposition with the Stand Up for WWE campaign. By doing that, you have offically involved the WWE in a campaign for one specific side; Linda's.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Um, Vince is right, legally speaking. Linda is not professionally affiliated with WWE, and so long as neither her name nor her likeness appear on the shirt, people have the constitutional right to wear WWE merchandise. You can't change that.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
The company that takes away the signs they don't want others to see, are complaining that they've lost their freedom of speech?

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Imagine the awkward silence at the election when someone shows up wearing a TNA shirt.....

·
Recognize
21,378 Posts
:lmao The image of Vince going to vote, most likely in a Purple fricking Cena shirt has me lmao. There's no way he will pick something subtle like an Orton or HHH shirt. I can't wait for the pictures of him getting banned from the polling station lol.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Ok so even if Vince's Stand up for WWE campaign could be linked to Linda's run for senate, you still ( as far as i know ) have the right to wear whichever fucking t shirt you want to wear, be it a pro Nazi T shirt, be it a pro WWE shirt. I am not sure on legistlation reagarding elections. America's law are ass fucking backwards anyway.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
:lmao The image of Vince going to vote, most likely in a Purple fricking Cena shirt has me lmao. There's no way he will pick something subtle like an Orton or HHH shirt. I can't wait for the pictures of him getting banned from the polling station lol.
:lmao I've got that image in my head right now as well. That or something like Cole on NXT that one time:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Vince is one to talk about first amendment rights, confiscicating signs and forcing people who are wearing TNA shirts to leave WWE shows. what a hypocrite.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts