Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
wwe studios are ina loss....almost all movies didnt make a profit...The main hurdle of wwe studios is that it has the wwe label to it...wrestling isnt considered cool now so the movies wwe make the people dont take it seriously....if the wwe studios formed in attitude era the movies would have been more profitable as wrestling was more mainstream and stars like The Rock and Steve austin were legit household names....The Rocks movies were still profitable like the rundown and walking tall....The condenmed made $22 million in dvd sales alone that too after stone colds peak....Imagine the rocks movies in theatres in 2000 and movies staring austin in 98/99...the movies would have been box office success..Why didnt the wwe thought to make wwe studios back then?...the wwe are going nowhere with thier films...

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
The problem isn't the stars so much. It's down to the audience, if anything.

WWE Films will always come secondary to WWE programming, therefore ANY WWE film must:
1) Make the wrestler look good.
2) Can't really be controversial.
3) Not have huge shoots to inconvenience the wrestler
4) Must "showcase" the wrestler.

Basically these four things (plus more, I forget) means that Films can't be made in a standard way. They're shackling their own projects and it hurts the final cut. Simples.

The Rocks movies were still profitable like the rundown and walking tall....The condenmed made $22 million in dvd sales alone that too after stone colds peak
Not WWE Films, just "happened to star" ex-WWE stars.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Good point. They had their first film after the AE ended but it was so soon after it ended that a lot of the AE fans were still there, plus wrestling was more popular back then. And they put their biggest star in it, and with WWE/F back then being more popular, a spin off to an already popular franchise (The Mummy), there was only one outcome.

Just so happened to rake in $160,000,000 worldwide, which would look even better in todays standing, numbers wise, seeing as there has been inflation and all.

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
But you can't make a serious movie without taking time off, I prefer Rock and Austin in the arenas...
The Rock built this studio but Cena is just a terrible actor, who the hell wants to see his movies?

·
Banned
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good point. They had their first film after the AE ended but it was so soon after it ended that a lot of the AE fans were still there, plus wrestling was more popular back then. And they put their biggest star in it, and with WWE/F back then being more popular, a spin off to an already popular franchise (The Mummy), there was only one outcome.

Just so happened to rake in $160,000,000 worldwide, which would look even better in todays standing, numbers wise, seeing as there has been inflation and all.
This...they should have had Austin in movies in 98/99...He was already getting roles in Mainstream dramas like The Nash bridges for 6 episodes...imagine a moviemade in 99/2000 with austin/rock in leading roles...it would have made shit load of money

·
Registered
897 Posts
Honestly, the first few weren't bad in terms of a return on investment. See No Evil, The Marine, The Condemned and 12 Rounds all made back their budget and a profit at the box office and in DVD sales. It's when they started to stray from what "wrestling" fans will want to go pay to see that they got in trouble. Does the casual wrestling fan want to go see John Cena kick ass and blow things up or watch John Cena's emotional performance in a drama? Easily the first.

Am I expecting a WWE Studios movie to make hundreds of millions of dollars? Nope.

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
This. The reason why the movies aren't that profitable is because they are terrible. They look like B-level direct to DVD quality and people aren't going to waste their time or money on that.
Much like another poster says, the primary product, wrestling will always take priority over the movies, therefore not as much time or effort will be put into it as a Hollywood film.

However, I think that Superstars could be reduced to "That's What I Am" style cameos, or they could use the less relevant Superstars since they aren't being used much on TV anyway (i.e. make a buddy comedy starring Hawkins, Ryder & Baretta).

I also think The Rock should be the face of WWE films, that way he can continue his acting career, without the stigma of being seen as having "sold out" and "walked out on the WWE Universe." If the Rock primarily does WWE Films, Cena and Punk can't take shots at him and say "I'm here and you're not."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts