Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Ex Con With A Heart Of Gold
10,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://ir.corporate.wwe.com/file.aspx?IID=4121687&FID=11147320

"lower receipts from our other licensed films"

"As a result, our financial statements reflect a loss of $1.5 million related to The Chaperone primarily due to the recognition of advertising costs."

Okay then.

How are they going to answer the poor performances of The Chaperone and presumably That's What I Am?

The next movie is called "Inside Out" and it stars Triple H and Michael Rappaport from such hit movies as...
Yeah, I can't think of any either.
Ever since 2009 they've squeezed out one limited release or straight to DVD dud after another.

Last 6 movies as co-producer or producer...

Behind Enemy Lines 2: Columbia (Co produced, movie for Ken Kennedy, straight to DVD)
Marine 2
Legendary
Knucklehead
The Chaperone
That's What I Am

That is a pretty rough assembly. Collectively these films had a box office draw of less than 400,000 dollars.

Lets see what the next titles are...

Inside Out (2011) [5]
Family Reunion (TBA) [5]
Bending The Rules (TBA) [5]
Barricade (TBA) [5]
No One Lives (TBA) [6

Sounds like made for t.v. horseshit that will not make a dime.

Do you think WWE Studios will get scrapped soon? It doesn't seem to be producing like it once did.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
curious as to what their dvd sales look like.

i dont think they would keep it going one additional second if it wasnt turning a profit somewhere. vince scrapped his football league without even playing the first championship game, afterall.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I am confused, in the same section it said
During the quarter, WWE Studios recognized revenue of $8.6 million as compared to $3.4 million in the prior year, with the growth in revenue driven by the release of our latest film, The Chaperone.
so it made more money in 2011 than 2010 right?

the whole section:
During the quarter, WWE Studios recognized revenue of $8.6 million as compared to $3.4 million in the prior year, with the growth in revenue driven by the release of our latest film, The Chaperone. The growth in revenue also reflected, to a lesser extent, receipts from our film 12 Rounds. Revised long-term, ultimate projections for this film resulted in a $2.8 million impairment charge. Film profits declined $5.5 million from the prior year quarter driven by the aforementioned impairment charge, lower receipts from our other licensed films and the previously disclosed change in our distribution model for films. Under our self distribution model, we record a film’s advertising costs and distribution expenses in our results as incurred. As a result, our financial statements reflect a loss of $1.5 million related to The Chaperone primarily due to the recognition of advertising costs.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I am confused, in the same section it said

so it made more money in 2011 than 2010 right?

the whole section:
No it made more revenue, but also more losses, so it made less money overall compared to the previous year's quarter. As it said profits were down 5 million.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
cool, thanks for the explanation

I don't know why they are obsessed with making movies, why not stick with what they know.

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
not surprising because of the amount of crappy movies they have not to mention guys who can't act even if their lives depend on it

is it true that "legendary" grossed only 200 grands ?

talk about a legendary fail

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
I think all the WWE movies are on Netflix so that hurts DVD sales quite a bit. I know for sure Thats What I Am, Knucklehead, CHaperone and Legendary are on Netflix.

I'm gonna recommend That's What I Am. It's a very heartwarming movie. It's cliched to death but it's a very good movie overall and by far the best film WWE studios has produced.

·
10,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, the domestic release of Legendary only made 200,000 dollars. Other releases were very limited, to say only several theaters for several days, before going to DVD.

DVD sales are in the millions, 5 million to 20 million for a better performer.

·
Banned
4,257 Posts
I believe that these shitty excuses for movies are tax write-offs.

·
Premium Member
19,291 Posts
I think all the WWE movies are on Netflix so that hurts DVD sales quite a bit. I know for sure Thats What I Am, Knucklehead, CHaperone and Legendary are on Netflix.

I'm gonna recommend That's What I Am. It's a very heartwarming movie. It's cliched to death but it's a very good movie overall and by far the best film WWE studios has produced.
Agreed. I actually got a little teary eyed in one scene of the movie, where people were picking on the red headed kid. I actually googled him and got relieved that his ears really aren't that big. It does have a good message, and was decent. The Chaperone I thought was acceptable, though the ending is just really ridiculous and corny.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
I don't really expect WWE Movies to make as much money as a Hollywood blockbuster. To me, WWE Studios is no more than an indie film company that just happens to have a major wrestling organization as its parent company.

·
Registered
7,523 Posts
a wrestling company having a fucking movie studio is a joke to begin with. This is just Vince trying to show how far removed from wrestling they are so he gets sponsors. The movies are awful to have released 3 shitty movies since last november and lost money on them all goes to show that no one wants to watch these lame ass movies

·
10,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I also don't like WWE Studios because I feel it shits all over kayfabe. The monster Kane, The Devil's Favorite Demon, doing a B movie?

Or when Sheamus was supposed to have injured Triple H very badly, enough to keep him from the ring and television for months, we saw commercial after commercial of him filming a slapstick comedy and action adventure movie. There goes credibility of a shelving right down the toilet.

·
Recognize
21,378 Posts
I really don't understand why everybody shits on WWE for making movies. It gets exposure for their stars, lets them branch out into other areas and despite the confusing nature of the quotes above, they seem to be making money or at least breaking even. What's the problem? It's not like they're shutting down to become a movie studio. The WWE product is still their absolute top focus yet the IWC seems to want to condemn them for trying other things. I don't see what the big deal is tbh.

·
Registered
21,621 Posts
I'm sure WWE don't mind losing $1.5mil to allow HHH to be a movie star, they'll continually make money off DVD sales and such so that figure will lower over time as well so it's not such a big deal. They might not be happy with other films/wrestlers losing money but at the same time these films serve as advertising for the company as well.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I really don't understand why everybody shits on WWE for making movies. It gets exposure for their stars, lets them branch out into other areas and despite the confusing nature of the quotes above, they seem to be making money or at least breaking even. What's the problem? It's not like they're shutting down to become a movie studio. The WWE product is still their absolute top focus yet the IWC seems to want to condemn them for trying other things. I don't see what the big deal is tbh.
Who exactly has WWE Studios helped? They're straight to dvd and the main consumers are wrestling fans. It's kind of funny how wrestlers hate that Rock left for Hollywood when really they're just mad because they're stuck doing C movies.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Who exactly has WWE Studios helped? They're straight to dvd and the main consumers are wrestling fans. It's kind of funny how wrestlers hate that Rock left for Hollywood when really they're just mad because they're stuck doing C movies.
I would actually like the Rock to return and be the face of WWE Films. That way he can continue to make acting his priority without the stigma of being looked at as a "sellout" attached to it.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I would actually like the Rock to return and be the face of WWE Films. That way he can continue to make acting his priority without the stigma of being looked at as a "sellout" attached to it.
I would be surprised if they havent tried getting the Rock yet. I'm sure he just has a serious schedule going with filming other movies. Rock dropped off the radar for a bit (even tho his shitty movies Game Plan, Race to Witch Mountain and Tooth fairy made a lot of money anyways) but recently his return to action has been great. Faster was awesome, Fast Five was great (sequel on the way with Rock returning) and he just signed to do a GI Joe and Journey to the___ sequel. Backtracking to WWE films would likely hurt his career credibility or at least slow down his momentum, which he cant afford (credibility wise since he is coming out of his kiddie movies)

Only way it would work is if the Rock filmed the movie with a loaded cast of WWE stars (Cena Orton HHH) where the Rock plays a similar role to "the rock". WWE films cant make a legit movie, so some spinoff film where wrestlers play extensions of themselves as oppossed to acting would work. I would probably actually watch the film if the Rock interacts with Cena HHH and Orton.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I would be surprised if they havent tried getting the Rock yet. I'm sure he just has a serious schedule going with filming other movies. Rock dropped off the radar for a bit (even tho his shitty movies Game Plan, Race to Witch Mountain and Tooth fairy made a lot of money anyways) but recently his return to action has been great. Faster was awesome, Fast Five was great (sequel on the way with Rock returning) and he just signed to do a GI Joe and Journey to the___ sequel. Backtracking to WWE films would likely hurt his career credibility or at least slow down his momentum, which he cant afford (credibility wise since he is coming out of his kiddie movies)

Only way it would work is if the Rock filmed the movie with a loaded cast of WWE stars (Cena Orton HHH) where the Rock plays a similar role to "the rock". WWE films cant make a legit movie, so some spinoff film where wrestlers play extensions of themselves as oppossed to acting would work. I would probably actually watch the film if the Rock interacts with Cena HHH and Orton.
the funny thing is that they kinda did that before

WWE stars in the book where they are their wrestling selves but also they where undercover agents working for the National Security Agency.

I read it 4 years ago and it was both hilarious (Are they serious ?) and cool (batista,cena,HHH tori wilson where all in it doing crazy secret agent shit) at the same time so i honestly think a movie like that would be awesome.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts