Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 238 Posts

·
The EST of NXT
Keep That Same Energy
40,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

They're not wrong. No one watched it.

However, Britt vs Thunder Rosa had the right amount of violence with great wrestling to go with it.
The Bunny, Penelope, Tay Conti, and Anna Jay just put on a garbage wrestling match.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts

View attachment 115174

However, Britt vs Thunder Rosa had the right amount of violence with great wrestling to go with it.
The Bunny, Penelope, Tay Conti, and Anna Jay just put on a garbage wrestling match.
I don't think it is some big draw, but I don't see it as something that hurts the show either. It depends on who is involved and what the story dictates.

I also wouldn't use the New Years Eve show as the barometer of anything. That is the death spots of all death spots. That is actually one day that you can experiment with stuff because your ratings are sunk regardless.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I think it was unnecessary and devalues blood going forward when the girls (or guys) are doing it in a throwaway match on Rampage. If it were a blood feud that unexpectedly went that way, and it made sense and it called for it, then cool. But this one obviously didn’t.

on top of that it was so obvious that I thought it just looked bad too. There were interminably long camera cuts and then they’d pan back and Bunny/Conti would have juice. Idk, just didn’t mean anything other than saying “look, we can do it too!”

·
The optimistic Asuka fan
7,313 Posts

I guess the WWE comment will motivate some people to defend that match and the complete approach. Nevertheless: the road of violence in wrestling has a dead end and I am not sure it was a good idea, to go that early in the company's history so far. When you use violence and gimmick matches so early, you set standards for the future, which are not easy to accomplish all the time. Especially at the women roster they could have go on more longer with just improving the match quality, instead of betting on violence/gimmick.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I think it was unnecessary and devalues blood going forward when the girls (or guys) are doing it in a throwaway match on Rampage. If it were a blood feud that unexpectedly went that way, and it made sense and it called for it, then cool. But this one obviously didn’t.

on top of that it was so obvious that I thought it just looked bad too. There were interminably long camera cuts and then they’d pan back and Bunny/Conti would have juice. Idk, just didn’t mean anything other than saying “look, we can do it too!”
They have been feuding for over a month, involving attacking each other and using brass knuckledusters so it had been building to a show down, they didn't just do the street fight out of nowhere.

The cut away while they bladed where bad but that's a problem in most matchs involving blood. Guess not everyone can blade like Bret Hart.

·
Baby It's Violence
10,159 Posts
I liked both matches, but obviously Britt/Rosa was the much bigger match to begin with given both of they are much better wrestlers and bigger stars overall.

WWE saying this is kinda funny. I mean didn't they just do a Seth/Rey feud where Seth literally ripped out Rey's eye, and didn't they also legitimately in storyline burn the Fiend to a crisp?

·
Premium Member
1,418 Posts
So WWE think Saudi blood money, breaking employment laws, firing staff based on worthless contracts and then making a story out of it, making racist t-shirts, medical negligence of its talent, exploiting dying children for PR and breaking anti trust laws is acceptable...

....but an awesome women's hardcore match on AEW is brutal?

Seriously?

·
Respect My Pimphand..
16,083 Posts
yes because no woman EVER got over by bleeding coughBeckyLynchcough. And WWE totally did ride that wave for all they could.

oh and letting the near 300 pound UFC fighter split a man’s head open with an elbow hard way and give him a concussion.
Yeah, Lesnar literally caved in Orton's head and probably caused brain damage. Just look below, that's far worse than anything AEW has put on, including Gage/Jericho.

·
Registered
8,081 Posts
We also had Shayna Baszler in story bite the back of Becky’s neck like a wolf and had blood gushing from it.

Oh and a feud recently where the “good guy” lit another man on fire and burned him alive:

oh and another one where a guy had his eyeball gouged out, etc.

This is straight from Vince’s playbook against Ted Turner back in the 1990’s.

·
Registered
22,966 Posts

View attachment 115174

dude, just put a WWE logo on your avi and get it over with

Baker / Rosa had the same or more violence and was voted match of the year and is still very well regarded

that street fight was great too

·
Sassy Southern
Bless Your Heart
7,344 Posts
It has always been obvious that WWE and AEW are two different products with different goals. Its been long known of Vince's obsession with Hollywood and wanting WWE to be accepted as this "sports entertainment" identity beyond those of us in the wrestling bubble.

So of course they are going to act like they are against some of the things that AEW does, even though they have done some of those same type of things in the past also without realizing it.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
You can tell who rage reacts to the title without reading the full quote.
Rage? I couldn't care less. I think both WWE and AEW are a joke. You can find me tearing AEWs mediocre programming to shreds in the AEW section.

Oh, now they care about the general public and children? Yeah, only because sponsors and the like are paying them. When McMahon was confronted about his violent and edgy programming corrupting children in the late 90s, he didn't give a fuck. When WWF and WCW were combining for a 34 share with teenagers in early 99, was he worried about the kids? When they were drawing 10+ million combined viewers, were they worried about the general public? Of course not. Well, they don't have to worry about the children anyway, because kids don't watch this shit anymore.

McMahon complained about blood and guts from WCW pre Attitude era, his morals went out the window when he realized he could make huge money. Now that he couldn't draw a fly to shit, he needs to be subsidized by big corporations in order to be profitable. And of course, now he cares about kids and the community. He sure didn't when he had the kiss my ass club, or the Katie Vick incest angle, or the Hot Lesbian Action stuff.

Tony Khan is a mark who doesn't know what he's doing, but let's be honest, McMahon is nothing more than a carny piece of shit who will say whatever he needs to in order to make money. In 1997, he told us he wasn't going to insult our intelligence anymore and would go to more edgy and contemporary programming. In 2009, he said he was going PG so he could tell more sophisticated(lol) stories. He's full of shit and his lackeys are full of shit.

·
Waiting for Kawato
4,171 Posts
I do not disagree, as I don't find that stuff remotely appealing (though I don't think there was any difference between this and the Rosa-Baker one) but this is comic hypocrisy, as ever, from them. That this is real, and the setting people on fire and gauging out of a man's eye (bet the kids loved that stuff) is staged, does not make any god damn difference. It's not like these are examples from a very different world 15 years ago or something, they're both from the past couple of years.

1 - 20 of 238 Posts