Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
I'm the world's greatest superhero. I can do whate
20,606 Posts
I figure all the older stars would have to be gone before they put any real effort into making new stars.

In five years, Taker might be gone but that's it. In ten years? Maybe Orton and Reigns.

Point being, they're not going to stop depending on the older stars for a long time.

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
The way people talk I would have assumed the entire pushed roster consisted of guys over 40. Regardless of what you think of the talent, just recently you had Drew McIntyre, Braun Strowman, Apollo Crews and Street Profits with belts. The WWE is getting people into those spots, it's just not as dynamic as it could be.

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
I'm literally shocked that this hasn't been talked about any more than it has. :rolleyes:

If this was news about AEW, or of the Khan's family fortunes, this would be about 30 pages already. :whistle:
The WWE has been trashed on internet forums for the past 19 years. Get with it.

·
Registered
8,751 Posts
If you don't keep up with today's consumers you deserve to slowly die. Once a big company stops innovating, stick a fork in them, they're done eventually.

They've also lost the trust of their fanbase. It's not like they haven't pushed some new people, but they aren't taking. Drew is a new main eventer, is getting superman booking and booked as good as they have booked anyone in a while, yet he's often in the least viewed segments on RAW despite his push. They've thrown titles on multiple former fan faves like Braun, Becky, Asuka, Sasha, etc but none of that has moved the needle either.

Nothing they are doing is making a dent. That speaks less to them doing things wrong and more to the audience just not giving a shit what they do anymore.

It's too late. Their TV deals are the only thing they can hang onto now, and that won't last

·
Registered
395 Posts
Typical populist article.

I never understood this entire “wwe relies on old stars “ shit.

They do bring older stars sure but that’s not for a bandaid but it’s to get older fans who don’t care about current stars to check them out and with that to keep watching if they also liked the new stars.

Also the age brackets for wrestling aren’t the same as those of other sports.

In other sports many athletes peaks in their early to mid 20s and once they hit 30 they are considered old.

In wrestling due to the nature of the business where you need not just athletic skills but also character work which takes years to build, a 30 year old star is considered young talent.

Hell most top guys in wrestling don’t peak intil their mid 30s so to say wwe “relies” on “old “ timers who are in their early / mid 40s means the person who wrote this article knows nothing about the business and is just pulling shit of his ass to cater to the smarks.

In wwe you almost never see a top guy below 30 . By this way of thinking if we retire every wrestler above 40 and push guys in their 30s then the average wrestlers career will not be longer than 10 years on average which is not enough to attract future new stars if they know that they won’t hit the main event until their 30s and then get shoved and retired once they hit 40 cause now they are “too old”

Furthermore in wrestling , longevity usually means more fan following and thus drawing power and many wrestlers hits their peak late ( the undertakers best ring work as well as phisique was in his mid 40s)

The shows have been mostly full timers for a long time now, they pushed many guys with super strong booking - Roman, Drew , Seth, The Fiend etc, and getting they all failed to become mega mainstream starts . And these stars are not portrayed as inferior to the older guys as they all beat up the old guys - Seth and Roman best HHH, Seth beat Brock and retired Sting, Drew made Kurt Angle tap out to his own finisher , Roman beat taker at mania , etc

Popularity of wrestling has nothing to do with the age of wrestlers or booking , just like how declining popularity of cable tv has nothing to do with the quality of the shows but more to do with the fact that streaming platforms are just better and more convenient in every way.

I don’t watch live wrestling because I hate commercials so it’s better off to just stream it later without wasting time for that and also having the option to fast forward content that I am not interested in.

Also with internet and spoilers and backstage reports of who will be getting a push , everything becomes too predictable so if I know that a guy I don’t like will be winning a match and a feud with a guy I like, then I don’t need to tune in for that match while before I would tune in as I would not know who the winner will likely be.

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
This was the sort of attention I figured the WWE would get with the XFL. This is a good thing, because this might make them step up their game. But the actual article in the OP is smarky trash. It seriously sounds like Tony Khan or a disgruntled Heyman commissioned it. Bizarre in its rhetoric and IWC talking points.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts