Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
13,306 Posts
Good tbh. I think the only way for things to get better is if they get worse. I hope WWE sinks to such depths that it has no choice but to sort its shit out.
by that time, will it not be too late?

the analysts in the article are only pointing out the obvious - these reliance on older stars as "band aids"; the inability to build up guys like Reigns to that level of stardom previously experienced; NXT and AEW ratings ratings improving in the past month. The problem is that investors usually only care about the short term. WWE will have issues in 2022 when the negotiations start for their TV contracts.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
by that time, will it not be too late?

the analysts in the article are only pointing out the obvious - these reliance on older stars as "band aids"; the inability to build up guys like Reigns to that level of stardom previously experienced; NXT and AEW ratings ratings improving in the past month. The problem is that investors usually only care about the short term. WWE will have issues in 2022 when the negotiations start for their TV contracts.
Okay but Vince needs to stop mircromanaging and create good content!

·
Premium Member
17,152 Posts
I had to think about it, and "popular" is the most notable word I'd use for Variety.

This isn't really news for this forum. We know Raw is declining, and the person responsible. I would love to know the data that Tony Khan presented to TNT to convince them he could get the demos and ratings enough for a 4 year contract. Everything points to the exact opposite if you're looking at WWE.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts

Do they expect a medal for reporting on what been obvious to everyone in wrestling for years?

Everything in this article is one big DUH to everyone here.

·
Hiding in the shadows
1,105 Posts

Do they expect a medal for reporting on what been obvious to everyone in wrestling for years?

Everything in this article is one big DUH to everyone here.
Of course they're not looking for some type of award and yes, this is all common knowledge, amongst the wrestling community. This "call-out" is for those who couldn't give two shits about what they put on TV. They just want to make as much money as they can, with as little of an investment as possible. As any potential Investors and/or any potential Shareholders, looking at WWE as a buy, this is called "guidance". Turn on any business news channel and that's all they talk about.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Now is a good time to build new stars. They just need to shy away from constantly bringing back old guys like Taker and Austin.

• Hogan didn't have Bruno and Backlund running around hogging his spotlight
  • Bret finally gained ground as FOTC when Hogan was gone
  • Austin and Rock didn't have Bret og Shawn Michaels hogging the spotligt
The old stars must go. I appreciate the fan service and love the nostalgia. But theyre shooting themselves in the foot by constantly reminding people of a bygone, more popular era. Why must Austin stunner some heel for a cheap pop, and then disappear again. Imagine if Hogan came back for a nostalgia show in 96, squashed and legdropped midcard heel Steve Austin and then disappeard again. That would make Austin look like a geek and hurt his credibility.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Lightshed believes WWE has plenty of time to fix their roster in before going back into TV negotiations for RAW and SmackDown, especially with the talent pipeline they have with WWE NXT. They speculated that a longer-term approach is likely the right way to go, even if ratings return more slowly. It was also speculated that Triple H, who heads up NXT creative, could be a big help in fixing the main roster issues.
NXT has been around for years and yet the main roster's ratings to continue to fall.

When are there going to be serious questions asked about how successful NXT is, or rather isn't for the company as a whole?

·
Hiding in the shadows
1,105 Posts
I'm literally shocked that this hasn't been talked about any more than it has. :rolleyes:

If this was news about AEW, or of the Khan's family fortunes, this would be about 30 pages already. :whistle:

·
Hiding in the shadows
1,105 Posts
NXT has been around for years and yet the main roster's ratings to continue to fall.

When are there going to be serious questions asked about how successful NXT is, or rather isn't for the company as a whole?
I'm sure it's been talked about over on the NXT board, but with the news coming out of Florida, that NXT/WWE wants to hire new/more script writers is a sign of desperation. Any shred of what NXT was, is long gone and if they do go ahead with this "creative concept", it's going to be just another WWE show, but with even shittier ratings. In my opinion, that's where they are now... just another WWE show. I have lost all interest in NXT over the past few months, except the NA Championship show and the Winner Take All show. The rest is just more of the "entertainment" you'll see Monday's and Friday's.. well, at least for now that is! :p

WWE really needs to swallow their own Kool-Aid, cover-up that bruised ego and put NXT back on the Network. Start over, reset, re-work, re-think, anything... because this show is completely meaningless right now.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Bad timing to call out a sports company on ratings in the middle of a pandemic when they can't have a full roster, full staff, etc.

·
Hiding in the shadows
1,105 Posts
Bad timing to call out a sports company on ratings in the middle of a pandemic when they can't have a full roster, full staff, etc.
Bud, WWE ratings have been on a downward slide long before the CV-19 pandemic.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts

This is something that isn't really being discussed that much and I have no idea why. It's becoming more obvious the WWE is at an impasse where HHH is building up certain talent in NXT and Vince has absolutely no intention of using them.

If you go back to a random NXT event from 2018 (I picked WarGames), there are 9 out of 21 wrestlers elevated to a main brand. Kairi Sane (WWE career is over). Nikki Cross (tag team). Lars Sullivan(lower card, injured). Matt Riddle (just debuted, lost 2nd match clean). Shayna Baszler (who knows what they're doing with her?). Aleister Black (talk of repackaging). Richochet (jobber). Viking Raiders (tag team).

I wouldn't exactly say they are laying the groundwork for near future main event stars in the company.

In the last year alone they've brought back AE/RA stars like John Morrison, Matt Hardy, The Big Show, and Edge.

There is a very big problem brewing under the surface, aside from the ratings collapse

1 - 20 of 28 Posts