Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What if the WWE dropped the roster split and created an official rankings ladder?

I'm not talking about that Top 10 TNA Rankings shit that they were doing a few months ago. I'm talking about ranking every superstar on the roster and having positions change after every match. Its official name could be "WWE Rankings".

Rules and Structure of "WWE Rankings":
  • There would be 3 lists: Superstars, Divas, Tag-Teams. When a tag-team officially disbands, they are removed from the Tag-Team Rankings. This would be a good excuse for the WWE to actually build a legitimate tag-team division.
  • The Superstar Rankings will obviously be given the most focus. The WWE Champion will always be ranked #1 even if he is defeated in a non-title match. Same deal with the Diva rankings.
  • If a superstar pins or submits another superstar who is ranked higher than him, he takes that superstar's spot in the rankings and everyone below is bumped down one spot.
  • Similae to championships, ranking positions cannot be changed via disqualification or countout.
  • If a superstar or diva is injured, he/she will simply fall down in rankings over time as others score victories and move up. The longer you are out, the better chance you have of being at the bottom when you return.
  • Rookie superstars/divas always start at the bottom.
  • Only matches from RAW, Smackdown! and Superstars would affect ranking positions.
  • You can go from the bottom to the top instantly by getting a victory over a top star. There is no limit as to how many positions you can climb with one victory.

Why We Need a "WWE Rankings" System:

It's just another Friday night where us wrestling fans tune in to watch Smackdown!. The first match of the night is Kofi Kingston vs. Cody Rhodes.

Normally, this would just be a great opening match. But the problem is that there is no build up or reason for this match what-so-ever. It's just a time-filler. Let's say Cody wins. So basically, the only significance of this match is that Cody went over Kofi and WWE Creative will have to hope that fans keep a mental note of this (even though they were not invested in the match at all) for Cody's victory to really mean anything in the big scheme of things.

Now let's imagine the same opening match but with the WWE Rankings in effect. First, I will just say that I really enjoyed the short recorded promos Koji and Ziggler did during their entrances on Old School RAW. I vote for them to bring that back. It's a quick way to add a little bit of heat to the match. So anyway, the match will be introduced by the ring announcer as an "Exhibition Match" and each wrestler's ranking will be announced so that we know what spot is up for grabs. So for example, let's say Kofi is #15 and Cody is #17. The commentators will emphasis how the winner will move up the ladder, and the loser will move down. So now winning and losing has significance. Now when Cody goes over Kofi, he takes the #15 spot, Kofi is dropped down to #16, and the guy who was previously #16 is now #17.

After the match, the rankings will appear on our TV screens and WWE can do some flashy stuff to show Cody's name moving up. Now this victory is more memorable and has meaning, instead of being your typical opening match. And even if the average fan doesn't remember it happening after a couple weeks go by, all they have to do is refer to WWE Rankings on WWE.com, and when they see Cody at #15, they will know that he had to have gone over some big names to get there.

Conclusion:

Implementing the "WWE Rankings" system would have no effect on storylines as Creative can create feuds between whoever they want at any time. #3 can feud with #12 if they so choose, but it would go down as a significant victory for #12.

Ultimately, this would intrigue people to watch under-card and mid-card matches more to see who is going to go up. It would add a nice "sport" component to go with the "entertainment" component. I als0 think it would be cool to display the Top 30 in a small marquee across the bottom of the screen maybe 3-4 times throughout the show and put "See WWE.com for full rankings" at the end.

I know some of you will feel that this will never work and maybe you are right. But in my opinion, it could be both effective and entertaining if done correctly. Let me know your thoughts and ideas.

·
Banned
3,750 Posts
WWE isnt sport and shouldnt be treated as such. This would be WAY to complicated for the kids. If any indy company did this then it'd be great but doing this with an already global promotion like WWE or TNA even would be a huge mistake.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
No. It would ruin what makes wrestling great.

HHH can disappear for 8 months, but when he returns it's still a huge deal to beat him. But by your ranking system, it's highly possible that he'd be ranked near the bottom by then, and by definition it wouldn't be a big deal.

Jericho would go months without winning a match, but due to a mix of his history, charisma, and in-ring work, it would always be believable that he could win the WWE title in a wonderfully dirty fashion.

It also devalues the mid-card titles, since instead of Bryan being officially the #2 or #3 wrestler on Raw by nature of his title, he's likely the #8, since the "main event" wrestlers would logically be ranked above him.

·
Banned
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No. It would ruin what makes wrestling great.

HHH can disappear for 8 months, but when he returns it's still a huge deal to beat him. But by your ranking system, it's highly possible that he'd be ranked near the bottom by then, and by definition it wouldn't be a big deal.

Jericho would go months without winning a match, but due to a mix of his history, charisma, and in-ring work, it would always be believable that he could win the WWE title in a wonderfully dirty fashion.

It also devalues the mid-card titles, since instead of Bryan being officially the #2 or #3 wrestler on Raw by nature of his title, he's likely the #8, since the "main event" wrestlers would logically be ranked above him.
If HHH comes back and beats a main eventer in his first match, he goes right back to the top in rankings. Plus, people will know HHH is only at the bottom because of an injury and it will score him some underdog sympathy from the fans.

Same deal with Jericho. He could lose a bunch of matches and then one day beat someone who is highly ranked and be at the top again.

It would not devalue the mid-card because if Bryan beats a main eventer, he gets ranked above that guy and everyone that was under him. His title wouldn't hold him back in the rankings. It's all based on win/loss.

·
Registered
4,592 Posts
They have the P25 and they do put guys who win more matches and build more momentum on that , I see what you're saying but isn't the P25 good enough?

·
Banned
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They have the P25 and they do put guys who win more matches and build more momentum on that , I see what you're saying but isn't the P25 good enough?
The whole idea is to add value to each and every match on every show. P25 is never seen or recognized on TV and anyone who doesn't regularly surf WWE.com doesn't even know WTF it is. Plus the P25 is not based purely on W/L, it factors in promos and other variables, some of which make no sense.

And for the poster who said it would be confusing to kids. I am curious as to how? I'm sure most of them can count and comprehend where their favourite wrestlers stand on a numeric list.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts