Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watched WWE Raw highlights on YouTube this week with Seth Rollins AOP and Kevin Owens stuff thought it was good so I decided watch smackdown on sky this week thought got better storylines what they shown in months and only fast forward one match what was Ali and Shorty G vs The Revival

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
The matches were decent. Agree with you there. Not buying Owens as the Babyface to go against Rollins and crew. Honestly Rey Mysterio was more intimidating in that backstage segment.

3 hours is still the deal breaker. Even 2 hours is too long. NXT got popular a few years back because it was a short show with serious wrestling. Raw and SmackDown just drag on and on too long and kill the viewers attention.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,354 Posts
Issue has never been quality, it's not like 1999 was fucking Emmy award winning stuff and yet it's beloved.

Issue is no face of the company in which to build around. Storylines, characters etc are all there but they feel individual segments rather than one big whole.

They need that one person to build around to bring the whole thing together.

·
Registered
7,677 Posts
They've tried to find that face to build their shows around but nobody has took. Seth has failed and is a heel now, so there's no top face on RAW. Owens, let's face it, he's just their temporary fill in as top face until they find someone they like more (possibly Orton). Becky is over with existing crowds but doesn't seem to move the needle for the company, in that they could put anyone else in her place with her push and the numbers wouldn't change much. Brock isn't a FOTC despite his booking.

Smackdown, it's Bray, Roman and Bryan. Roman is a midcarder now, and while he may be pushed again, right now he isn't that guy. Bray already seems to be cooling off, though at least he sells the most merch I guess. Bryan is a multi tool performer but his moment seems to have passed already.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I do not think it has improved at all. Around Survivor Series season it had a couple pearls in the ocean here & there, but on the whole it's still pretty much the same.

I don't like what this draft has done to both rosters. The arrangement is off balance and it shows.

To me, only NXT seems to be consistent. There's a fire & drive within that show that the other two are lacking in.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
I haven't seen much from the last few months, but I saw a few highlights and watched the full Smackdown this week too and thought it was a genuinely good show.

Much improved.

The most noticeable difference right now is how they pivoted away from cool, smarky heels and put a greater emphasis on building actual heat without paying it off too soon. Corbin the poster boy, but I also mean in within-show booking. Both Roman and Otis got one of the biggest pops of their careers this week after heels used dog food + ham to get heat.

I much prefer this style of show than the wink wink nod nod Paul Heyman worked shoot style of show.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Is it improved over where it was in November 2018? Yes. That was probably the lowest point overall in their programming. But if that represented a zero before the reset, I'd say it's humming along at a 3 out of 10 right now. It's still largely terrible versus what it easily could be. For all of the marathon production meetings and incessant rewrites each week, the end result is a Grade D production that seemingly has minimal thought and continuity to it. Again, so easy to fix but unlikely to happen.

·
Registered
11,354 Posts
Is it improved over where it was in November 2018? Yes. That was probably the lowest point overall in their programming. But if that represented a zero before the reset, I'd say it's humming along at a 3 out of 10 right now. It's still largely terrible versus what it easily could be. For all of the marathon production meetings and incessant rewrites each week, the end result is a Grade D production that seemingly has minimal thought and continuity to it. Again, so easy to fix but unlikely to happen.
How would last November be considered a zero?

You had rise of Lynch as a character and fantastic Charlotte vs Rousey match at survivor series. You had brilliant Bryan and lesnar at same show and then great Bryan heel turn after.

Ok Corbin as gm was annoying on raw but no worse than main event angles they have run last 20 years this time of year ie I did it for the rock, Katie Vick, Hornswoggle as Vince's son, DX vs Hornswoggle and land of little people under the ring or big show being fired and getting rehired and title shot

·
Southern Pride
2,900 Posts
I really don't feel that either show has improved much. Smackdown especially. I cannot believe how lackluster that show feels on FOX.

One or two things on each show develop that grab my interest (like Lacey turning babyface on Smackdown, Rollins aligning with AOP for example) but that hasn't changed how I feel about both shows right now. Creative is still the same.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
How would last November be considered a zero?

You had rise of Lynch as a character and fantastic Charlotte vs Rousey match at survivor series. You had brilliant Bryan and lesnar at same show and then great Bryan heel turn after.

Ok Corbin as gm was annoying on raw but no worse than main event angles they have run last 20 years this time of year ie I did it for the rock, Katie Vick, Hornswoggle as Vince's son, DX vs Hornswoggle and land of little people under the ring or big show being fired and getting rehired and title shot
WWE before their reset in Dec 2018 was in a morass. Really, really boring programming (even moreso than now) with no storylines at all apart from Baron Corbin being overexposed as GM. The annual RAW/Smackdown Survivor Series cross-show invasions did produce the iconic picture of Becky Lynch bloodied up, but this was accidental. Daniel Bryan's sudden heel turn was unexplained.
The ratings were in free-fall...it's the entire reason why all of the McMahons went on TV for the reset.

Have there been terrible storylines in the past? Certainly. The aforementioned Katie Vick angle was worse than anything that aired in 2018 or 2019. But throughout the 2000s and into this decade - and during the depths of the New Generation Era, there were bright spots - stories and characters - amidst the darkness. In the fall of 2018 the company was on complete autopilot. There were no bright spots. Becky getting color was not a storyline, it was an accident.

·
Registered
11,354 Posts
Lynch completely changed her character to one we had never seen a woman on wwe tv perform. Yes the bloody face was an accident but her character was already becoming established with the fans and you have a storyline built across the two shows in November which would event culminate at mania

People seem to confuse storylines and characters not getting over to the degree expected and lack there of.

I mean this time last year we had Ambrose changing his character and feuding with Rollins, it didn't work as I predicted at the time because nobody wanted to see shield guys feuding again but doesn't mean it didn't happen

You had shane/Miz storyline that started at crown jewel and went all the way to mania.

Bryan did explain heel turn

[YouTube]

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I think it's gotten worse. Everyone saw a Seth Rollins heel turn coming, and its because the fans gave up on him with his boring face character? So the solution is to align him in an open secret with AOP?. Let's take a look at some WWE logic over the past few months....they panic about AEW so they send Balor to NXT, and then promote NXT at Survivor Series by letting them win an overall stat.....but for what? there was no prize, just to show the audience that NXT is no longer a development brand while paying its performers significantly less than main roster money? or was the NXT win meant to promote the show against AEW? What is WWE trying to do here with SmackDown and Raw?. Any new fan will be slightly confused as to what WWE is trying to do, and every casual WWE fan sees the crap with NXT is mostly to promote a fight against AEW....both reasons are backstage politics coming to the forefront and everyone sees that, and most fans want nothing to do with it because creative takes an ever bigger hit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah they made small good changes. Even the crowds are getting better.

Its the just the entitled vocal minority iwc projecting their depression on WWE.

·
The Babyface of WF
10,826 Posts
If it's improving then it's incredibly minor because they still haven't found their guy to build the brand around and plenty of potential is still going to waste, I enjoy my way but to say it's objectively improving is reaching.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
I don't feel it has much, it just feels that way because different people are getting pushed giving some things a fresh feel but most of the shows are unwatchable for me and I only watch SOME highlights. They still have the same illogical booking style, lack of continuity, lots of bad promos and pushing the wrong people. On top of that I kinda hate how much they don't care about keeping much of anything kayfabe anymore. Once Total Divas became a thing they stopped giving a shit about anything kayfabe. I kinda dislike how much behind the scenes and shoot style stuff they show on their YouTube channel where wrestlers are out of character.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts