Wrestling Forum banner

41 - 60 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
7,456 Posts
Except she's not. Fact is she was ruined when they made her Asian Lady Goldberg. When you spent that much time winning dominantly there's basically nowhere for you to go when that gimmick is over. She's even more fucked because she can't speak English so she's limited in how she can truly get over.
Not really. She's managed to always stay within the top 5-6 most over women on the roster despite lots of high profile losses so clearly her english hasn't been as big an impediment as many claim. And, to my mind, she's been more over than Charlotte for most of her time on the main roster. Even today, as a completely unsympathetic heel, and not being pushed like Charlotte or Becky, she's still been more over than Charlotte has been over the past year.

Asuka manages to stay over because when you strip everything away, she can still get over by her look, physical charisma, and her having good matches. She's not Goldberg, she was never booked like Goldberg if anyone actually saw her matches on NXT, as she's more like a Benoit or Daniel Bryan if they won a ton of matches. And because she's still elite among the women in the ring, she'll continue to get the match time to show that and remind audiences of how good she is. This is why she's drawn increasingly better reactions lately again because of the strong run of matches she's worked the past month.

It's always been the case that the people with the most staying power are the people who at the end of the day are unique looking, have physical charisma and can work. The writers aren't always gonna be around to write segments for people to promo, and they can't always book people to win, but those who have charisma, and can work good matches, are always gonna stay at a reasonable level of overness. This is why Nia Jax and Carmella had waning popularity while Asuka's still endures and she continues to get multiple title shots. She'll very likely get another big push at some point while other options people suggest continue to fail. She's also been the workhorse and "Ace" of RAW in terms of matches the past 4 monthd, especially with AJ out. So yeah, she's a lot more than just a "streak".

To my mind, Asuka is doing a way better job as a heel than Bayley. Both in terms of personality, in the ring matches, and yes, mic work. There's a reason why they turfed Paige and handed the mic to Asuka. It's because, yes, the WWE knows that Asuka speaking Japanese is still more preferable on the mic than Paige

·
Registered
19,984 Posts
Image result for doctor who eye roll gif

Asuka's position pre and post Charlotte, as well as it's similarities to literally everyone else who has a feud with Charlotte, speaks for itself.

NO ONE has ever left a feud with Charlotte in a better place. In fact most of the time it does them irreparable harm, and if by some chance they do manage recover it happens months and months later, usually on another show while Charlotte is strangling someone else's momentum.
These don't even make sense as criticisms though.

1. Well of course there's going to be a drop off when you go from spending 2½ years as the unbeatable to someone who can be touched. Which is again NXTs fault not the main rosters fault. Eventually she was going to lose to somebody.

2. In the women's division what the fuck are you really supposed to do after you lose a feud in the top of the division? I'd like some examples on this.

It's not like WWE is a full blown women's promotion with multiple titles where somebody can go to a feud that's slightly below world title but still valuable.
So what you're talking about isn't a Charlotte problem, it's a woman's division issue as a whole, either you're in the title feud or your not finding much to do. So yeah when you lose in the women's division everybody ends up doing random matches until they get another title shot or run. Case in point what the fuck is Alexa Bliss doing?

·
Registered
19,984 Posts
Not really. She's managed to always stay within the top 5-6 most over women on the roster despite lots of high profile losses so clearly her english hasn't been as big an impediment as many claim. And, to my mind, she's been more over than Charlotte for most of her time on the main roster. Even today, as a completely unsympathetic heel, and not being pushed like Charlotte or Becky, she's still been more over than Charlotte has been over the past year.

Asuka manages to stay over because when you strip everything away, she can still get over by her look, physical charisma, and her having good matches. She's not Goldberg, she was never booked like Goldberg if anyone actually saw her matches on NXT, as she's more like a Benoit or Daniel Bryan if they won a ton of matches. And because she's still elite among the women in the ring, she'll continue to get the match time to show that and remind audiences of how good she is. This is why she's drawn increasingly better reactions lately again because of the strong run of matches she's worked the past month.

It's always been the case that the people with the most staying power are the people who at the end of the day are unique looking, have physical charisma and can work. The writers aren't always gonna be around to write segments for people to promo, and they can't always book people to win, but those who have charisma, and can work good matches, are always gonna stay at a reasonable level of overness. This is why Nia Jax and Carmella had waning popularity while Asuka's still endures and she continues to get multiple title shots. She'll very likely get another big push at some point while other options people suggest continue to fail. She's also been the workhorse and "Ace" of RAW in terms of matches the past 4 monthd, especially with AJ out. So yeah, she's a lot more than just a "streak".

To my mind, Asuka is doing a way better job as a heel than Bayley. Both in terms of personality, in the ring matches, and yes, mic work. There's a reason why they turfed Paige and handed the mic to Asuka. It's because, yes, the WWE knows that Asuka speaking Japanese is still more preferable on the mic than Paige
I mean I don't feel a way about Asuka one way or another. But I do know her fans have been cranky ever since she loss her 2½ year undefeated streak. Nothing since has been good enough, because apparently if she isn't unbeatable she doesn't work for them.

·
\m/
22,620 Posts
Carmella didn't benefit from feuding with Charlotte. She got a fluke win over her and eventually Charlotte won the title back and Carmella has been pretty irrelevant ever since.
Carmella beat Charlotte twice on back to back PPVs and then proceeded to do the same to Asuka. She had a 130+ day reign the idea that Carmella who was basically a jobber before then didn't benefit from feuding with Charlotte is downright false. Charlotte won the title afterwards but then proceeded to lose it to Becky next and when Charlotte won the title from Asuka again it was only so that they could put both titles on Becky at Mania.

·
Registered
19,984 Posts
Carmella didn't benefit from feuding with Charlotte. She got a fluke win over her and eventually Charlotte won the title back and Carmella has been pretty irrelevant ever since.

Not true. Most Asuka fans just want to see her get at least 1 good singles title run on the main roster.
It's definitely true, most Asuka fans have been complaining every single moment that doesn't involve her being treated as the unbeatable. Because NXT has conditioned to believe that the Asuka character only works if she's the unconquerable.

·
\m/
22,620 Posts
Carmella only got 1 PPV win over Charlotte. She beat her via MITB+IIconics attacking her and then beat her with a fluke roll-up after she injured her leg. Beating Charlotte didn't really do anything for Carmella because people still didn't take her seriously as champ.
So the chicken shit heel won via underhanded tactics. What does it matter? That doesn't means she didn't benefit from the feud which is the main point at hand. She got to beat the top woman of the division right after she had ended Asuka's streak.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
In all honestly its hard to talk about Asuka's booking on the main roster without stirring up an argument because..

Some Asuka fans, especially the diehards will say Asuka's been misused, mistreated, underutilized. And they would be right.

Then you have the other side who will counter agrue that Asuka has all these accomplishments and accolades she's booked better than most..and there right to.

Asuka is right on that middle line of she's not being jobbed out like a lot of the other women but she cant seem to break past a certain point.

Her accomplishments so far.
First woman ever to win Royal Rumble (thats HUGE)
High profile match at WM34.
Part of first ever womens TLC triple threat
Smackdown Women's Champion.
Retained against the biggest hottest star in the company at that moment.
Won the tag titles and currently holds the record for longest tag champs with Kairi

Now her booking blunders
Lost her streak and to become champion at WM34
Made out to be a joke agaisnt Carmella and James Ellsworth
After retaining at Royal Rumble was off tv for near 2 months and was an afterthought with her title
Lost her SD to Charlotte before WM35 and went to the preshow
Lost back to back matches for the Raw title.

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
If the Raw loss was some 5 minute squash I'd agree it was all unfair on her etc etc etc. But it wasn't, it was an extremely competitive match that was back and forth. Only the Rock Bottom (which I loved and I hope Becky does more) really clinched it for Becky.

I love Asuka and she's my number one, but having a competitive match with the champ and losing clean, especially when you're a heel, is not a burial or anything like that.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Wow,this topic is still alive.

FYI, Asuka know what's up, her fans need understand her position,she will not always become on top when the market want different thing. Her job is to make the match looks good whether she win or lost plus she doesn't have strong backup like the "other girl". If market not interest with Becky's appeal anymore, I'm sure WWE will pull the plug from her.

·
Registered
444 Posts
If WWE cared about Asian performers, they would have just stuck her with a manager and let he run like Brock Lesnar. But she's SLANTY GODDAMMIT and thus she's simply not going to get a fair shake.
u r racist

She is, she's just more Kane and Jericho than Rock and Austin, and that's okay.
kane and jericho were never the top guys lol, your trollin is obvious

·
Registered
233 Posts
She needs to win that damn title AFTER WrestleMania. She's in her best right now.
there isn't a better women's wrestler on the roster. she managed to pull three consecutive good long tv matches against three of the most stale women on the roster.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I don't think she's screwed in any way. She's the third, or fourth most featured women in the whole division. That's not too bad for someone who can't speak english.

Go watch Kaientai in the attitude era if you want to sea talented asian wrestlers getting screwed.

41 - 60 of 111 Posts