Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think we can all agree the product today is nowhere near as good as what it has been in the past. And i'm starting to feel that the reason the product is ruined is because the WWE is too focused on pleasing children rather than the people that actually care about good quality wrestling. And of course WWE are going to listen to the kids because at the end of the day who is going to be spending $80 on cena tees and cap and sweatbands etc.
This brings me on to the lack of hardcore in WWE. When was the last time we actually saw thumb tacks the last time we saw a 4x4 the last time we saw someone bleeding the fuck out of their forehead? It's been too long since we have seen the hardcore stuff in WWE just because all the company cares about is selling cena merch. These are the moments everyone loves: Mankind getting thrown off the top of a cell, stone cold putting his middle finger up everytime he delivers a stunner and the list could go on. Even when kane fell through the table on fire(vs/ Daniel bryan), people were using fire extinguishers before he had even gone through the table! Unlike when MVP was set on fire in Unforgiven 2006 and he ran around the ring before being put out! THE PG ERA HAS RUINED THE WHOLE PRODUCT!
This finally brings me on the the point of how well companies like ECW would do now because people like me who care about the product could easily just move over and watch ECW(let's face it TNA is awful). Maybe WWE could just relaunch ECW killing two birds with one stone and get all the annoyed fans to the non-PG ECW and can keep all their kids watching WWE.

·
Registered
976 Posts
You must be new here.
^ I agree, this topic has been beaten to death as it is. THE ATTITUDE ERA IS GONE, LET IT GO. The reason for all that blood and hardcore stuff, even though pretty entertaining, is gone for safety precautions. Not because of being "PG", the product now can infact be a little edgy time to time, (ex. CM Punk pouring Paul Bearer's "ashes" on the Undertaker)
Now on to your question, Paul Heyman has said himself that the extreme gimmick was only temporary and wouldn't have lasted and that he would have went the same route of WWE but more adult friendly.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
A modern wrestling fan clamoring for "hardcore matches" is like a music fan in the early 90's clamoring for the return of disco.

I was a huge ECW fan, and I still enjoy watching an old show occasionally. But its time is over now.

"Hardcore" wrestling is dead, gone and totally passe. And for the better, considering the health of those involved.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
^ I agree, this topic has been beaten to death as it is. THE ATTITUDE ERA IS GONE, LET IT GO. The reason for all that blood and hardcore stuff, even though pretty entertaining, is gone for safety precautions. Not because of being "PG", the product now can infact be a little edgy time to time, (ex. CM Punk pouring Paul Bearer's "ashes" on the Undertaker)
Now on to your question, Paul Heyman has said himself that the extreme gimmick was only temporary and wouldn't have lasted and that he would have went the same route of WWE but more adult friendly.

If the idea of hardcore wrestling was a "gimmick," entire promotions wouldn't have been based on it.

You say the whole thing is gone for "safety precautions." Why is eliminating the whole thing a precaution but implementing safety measures isn't? Unless you think hardcore wrestling kills everyone who engages in it.

The fact is, wrestling has always been dangerous, and if it was feasible then, it is now. I haven't watched them but I know there are some extreme promotions out there. The only explanations for WWE stopping it is that it doesn't fit in today's show, and that the contemporary public might disapprove.

Edit:
A modern wrestling fan clamoring for "hardcore matches" is like a music fan in the early 90's clamoring for the return of disco.

I was a huge ECW fan, and I still enjoy watching an old show occasionally. But its time is over now.

"Hardcore" wrestling is dead, gone and totally passe. And for the better, considering the health of those involved.
They said the era of the superhero who urged you to say your prayers and take your vitamins was "definitely passé," too.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
ECW was really bad, no thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,645 Posts
I personally don't see the problem with WWE opening a separate brand - hell they can even use Smackdown to offer an alternative TV-14 wrestling show. Diversity is good and the WWE has a monopoly on the market - why not take advantage of it by appealing to your current fan base and also attracting a new fan base? Would sure help get new subscriptions for the network too.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
WWE is so pussified in this day and age

1 - 8 of 8 Posts