Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As i was watching Smackdown, i noticed something that i thought was odd

In the swagger/kofi match, swagger did an abdominal stretch on kofi while he was in the ropes. My confusion is that how come a guy can BREAK a hold by grabbing the ropes, or sit against a corner, yet a move can be APPLIED while he is in the ropes??

·
GOAT
4,523 Posts
I'd have thought that the referee was counting to 5 during the process, they used to when Tajiri would do something similar (for example)

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Yeah, it's essentially a legal submission move being applied illegally. As Husky stated, the ref just enforces it with a count.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah but its annoying, a guy can duck between the ropes to avoid a move, yet a submission is applied with a count

I Suppose its just one more thing we put down to being 'WWE' lol

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Usually when someone ducks the ropes the ref responds, because it's bordering on a ring out. The ref's 5 count when a submission is applied in the ropes is simply a warning for the aggressor to let go, otherwise they'll get a DQ. I'm sure that doesn't just apply to WWE.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
and yet u posted?

·
Fighting the feeling...
Behind!
2,528 Posts
Yep the ref normally counts to 5 whilst any submission is being applied in the ropes, unless you watch TNA where it seems they makes the rules up as they go along :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts