Wrestling Forum banner

1461 - 1481 of 1484 Posts

·
The face that runs the List
10,237 Posts
Currently watching the PPV. I have no clue why they are giving so many eliminations to the green as fuck Bianca and why Tamina is even employed but ok

Haha great crowd they booed the shit out of her when she eliminated Alexa

So glad they gave the Rumble accolade to a woman who didn't win dozens of titles and really needed this win to guarantee her presence at Wrestlemania

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Holy shit, that Rumble was brilliant. I haven't liked WWE in a long time, but that was a tremendous piece of business:

* Brock Lesnar is one of the best workers in the world today, and I'm sorry, but if you think otherwise you're just wrong. You're wrong! He escalated the tension with him going through everybody perfectly. His dancing when MVP came out and his "oooh" face at Keith Lee were priceless. He got to work with a bunch of guys you'd never usually see him with, and he sold for them as much as he should have.

* Ricochet gets something out of kicking Brock in the balls. Drew gets something out of eliminating Brock. That reaction Drew got in the wake of that? That's people accepting him as a star. He immediately gets to eliminate someone else in spectacular fashion.

* Brock is out and AJ Styles is in. One great worker holding it together to another.

* Matt Riddle and Keith Lee got some shine, and that is going to help them as stars for NXT. They don't need to eliminate the most people or make it right until the end to do that. Lee got more out of looking determined to be out there with Brock Lesnar than probably anything he's done in his career. And if you were paying attention, there was a little something between Baron Corbin and Matt Riddle...

* Edge is back! We all heard the rumors, but you don't really appreciate that until it's happening. He looked great. He didn't just do a veteran walks in and gets dumped by a slumming heel. He was there right until the end and he's obviously doing something either with or against Orton, which fits and this told that story.

* Roman Reigns eliminating Edge was an odd choice, because you risk him getting booed, but it's a prelude to the star they are trying to create popping him and tossing him out to win the whole thing. Reigns doesn't look shitty doing that. He gets to make it right until the end. If he's going for the Universal Title, it makes sense to have him there.

* Seth coming out at #30 was fucking brilliant. The guy who won last year. The shit-kicking heel with the thugs. That was clearly to set up that program and get Alistair Black in there in place of Big Show. And when Seth is out there, everybody in that ring had a conceivable chance of winning. Orton and Owens probably weren't on the tip of everybody's tongue, but it's not like they aren't presented as WWE top guys.

* Seth being cornered by the babyfaces with his cronies gone, and him trying to play to Roman Reigns was fucking ace. And then he got his ass tossed. That was tremendous.

* Edge tossing Orton is smart as hell. Instead of just doing that whole "Orton turns on Edge because he's Orton," Edge turned on Orton because he's Edge...and Orton's Orton. The Ultimate Opportunist. No one wants to boo Edge, but they took his heel tendencies and put them into a babyface presentation and didn't make him look like a naive fool.

This was just an excellent piece of business. I thought Patterson must have been involved, but when you look at the stories that were emphasized and how they basically all flow into Raw, this might have been the first Paul Heyman Royal Rumble production. He is earning those dollars and I'm sure Vince wanted to kiss the motherfucker on the mouth.

SmackDown will need to get itself into gear for Mania season now, but there are possibly stories to come out of it. I'm not a big fan of the McMahons being around or authority figures, but this would be a good trigger point for someone to come in and try to "coach" SmackDown. If you wanted a reason to bring up some NXT faces you can simply have Vince McMahon say "SmackDown didn't cut the mustard at the Rumble, so now you have to coexist with these hungry young NXT stars and up your game. Baron, you did fine." Good excuse for The Undisputed Era to crash a New Day/Morrison & Miz match, for example.

But they can also just move towards SmackDown exclusive stories wtih Wyatt targeting Reigns or Reigns targeting Wyatt. Hopefully Bryan and Nakamura do something. Miz & Morrison will probably do some Dirt Sheets at the expense of The New Day. I do hope they run with Baron Corbin vs. Matt Riddle, because that could be the most interesting use of Corbin.
THIS. SO MUCH THIS. THIS SHOULD BE STICKIED OR SOMETHING

·
Registered
295 Posts
Holy shit, that Rumble was brilliant. I haven't liked WWE in a long time, but that was a tremendous piece of business:

* Brock Lesnar is one of the best workers in the world today, and I'm sorry, but if you think otherwise you're just wrong. You're wrong! He escalated the tension with him going through everybody perfectly. His dancing when MVP came out and his "oooh" face at Keith Lee were priceless. He got to work with a bunch of guys you'd never usually see him with, and he sold for them as much as he should have.

* Ricochet gets something out of kicking Brock in the balls. Drew gets something out of eliminating Brock. That reaction Drew got in the wake of that? That's people accepting him as a star. He immediately gets to eliminate someone else in spectacular fashion.

* Brock is out and AJ Styles is in. One great worker holding it together to another.

* Matt Riddle and Keith Lee got some shine, and that is going to help them as stars for NXT. They don't need to eliminate the most people or make it right until the end to do that. Lee got more out of looking determined to be out there with Brock Lesnar than probably anything he's done in his career. And if you were paying attention, there was a little something between Baron Corbin and Matt Riddle...

* Edge is back! We all heard the rumors, but you don't really appreciate that until it's happening. He looked great. He didn't just do a veteran walks in and gets dumped by a slumming heel. He was there right until the end and he's obviously doing something either with or against Orton, which fits and this told that story.

* Roman Reigns eliminating Edge was an odd choice, because you risk him getting booed, but it's a prelude to the star they are trying to create popping him and tossing him out to win the whole thing. Reigns doesn't look shitty doing that. He gets to make it right until the end. If he's going for the Universal Title, it makes sense to have him there.

* Seth coming out at #30 was fucking brilliant. The guy who won last year. The shit-kicking heel with the thugs. That was clearly to set up that program and get Alistair Black in there in place of Big Show. And when Seth is out there, everybody in that ring had a conceivable chance of winning. Orton and Owens probably weren't on the tip of everybody's tongue, but it's not like they aren't presented as WWE top guys.

* Seth being cornered by the babyfaces with his cronies gone, and him trying to play to Roman Reigns was fucking ace. And then he got his ass tossed. That was tremendous.

* Edge tossing Orton is smart as hell. Instead of just doing that whole "Orton turns on Edge because he's Orton," Edge turned on Orton because he's Edge...and Orton's Orton. The Ultimate Opportunist. No one wants to boo Edge, but they took his heel tendencies and put them into a babyface presentation and didn't make him look like a naive fool.

This was just an excellent piece of business. I thought Patterson must have been involved, but when you look at the stories that were emphasized and how they basically all flow into Raw, this might have been the first Paul Heyman Royal Rumble production. He is earning those dollars and I'm sure Vince wanted to kiss the motherfucker on the mouth.

SmackDown will need to get itself into gear for Mania season now, but there are possibly stories to come out of it. I'm not a big fan of the McMahons being around or authority figures, but this would be a good trigger point for someone to come in and try to "coach" SmackDown. If you wanted a reason to bring up some NXT faces you can simply have Vince McMahon say "SmackDown didn't cut the mustard at the Rumble, so now you have to coexist with these hungry young NXT stars and up your game. Baron, you did fine." Good excuse for The Undisputed Era to crash a New Day/Morrison & Miz match, for example.

But they can also just move towards SmackDown exclusive stories wtih Wyatt targeting Reigns or Reigns targeting Wyatt. Hopefully Bryan and Nakamura do something. Miz & Morrison will probably do some Dirt Sheets at the expense of The New Day. I do hope they run with Baron Corbin vs. Matt Riddle, because that could be the most interesting use of Corbin.

Absolutely agree with this whole thing. This Rumble was one of the smartest and best booked ones in a very long time. Everything clicked and worked. Can't believe I'm saying it as I thought alll my hope in WWE was lost but I'm again excited for the product. Can't wait to see Edge hopefully tomorrow.

·
Life is Good.
3,914 Posts
Edge and Drew were definitely the highlights of the entire party. 😍

It's been a long time since I have enjoyed a WWE ppv to such grand extent. Brilliant show.

·
Registered
22,576 Posts
Honestly the only "down" part of the show was Lacey vs. Bayley. And it was always doomed to be a downer coming right after the Women's Rumble.

The Women's Rumble to me was pretty entertaining for the 1st 2/3 of the match. Bianca looked great, Alexa was solid, you had the Mandy/Otis stuff, some other good action. But then towards the end, when the match was winding down, you had bunch of women like Xia Li, Tegan Nox, Shotzi Blackheart, etc. in the match and you just know they're not going to win. Oh and fucking Santina too. Yay. Charlotte winning is fine, if not anticlimactic at this point in her career. Overall a fun Rumble, but the ending could have been better.

Bray and Bryan had a great, brutal match. This is how you use the Fiend character. He looks unbeatable, he looks like a monster. But you still tell a story of the guy fighting underneath and surviving. And no one could have pulled this off better than Bryan.

Roman and Corbin, though I hate the feud, had a fun FCA match. Took advantage of their environment. They had fun with the match. And the closing sequence of Roman hitting a Spear on the Dugout was a great visual.

Becky and Auska had a solid match, though not as good as their match last year. That Suplex bump Asuka took off the apron was brutal. And I liked the story they were telling except for that spot where Becky was.....kind of knocked out but not really so the referee didn't call for the bell.....I don't know, it was weird and really didn't help anyone in the match. Finish was cool though with Becky making the mist backfire in Asuka's face.

The Men's Rumble was really unlike any I've ever seen. To see 1 guy in Brock eliminate all these guys starting at 1 was quite the spectacle. And in those moments you got some cool spots with Kofi, Big E, and Rey going 3 on 1. And the stuff with Lee was really cool, as dumb as he looked later on. And then they make Drew look like a star by hitting a hellacious Claymore on Brock to send him out. And not only that, they had Ricochet get a measure of revenge on Brock in there as well.

So you have that 1st half which was already cool, and before the momentum goes down, FUCKING EDGE RETURNS AFTER 9 YEARS! Damn. And the thing is, they could have had Edge come out as #29 or #30. But no, they have him go out there at #21 and he lasted a long time in the match. That's another thing that made this match great. Even the stuff with Rollins at the end was great. He uses his crew to eliminate everybody he can until they all fight off his crew out of the stadium which furthers that Raw feud.

And then you have Seth, who just Curbstomped Roman like 3 minutes before, begging him to help him. That was great. Of course Rollins gets tossed by everybody. And from there Drew goes onto win and they make a new star. Awesome stuff.

·
The Man
15,247 Posts
It's not ridiculous. It's Brock fucking Lesnar. That's what he should be doing. And you load up Brock so he can unload and make someone look like a million bucks. Here he made everyone who got in the ring with him look ballsy. But he made Keith Lee look amazing, Ricochet look resourceful and Drew look like a fucking true superstar. How many guys can Brock make in one night? He can't be 15 guys and get tossed by the other half of the roster.
I get you're licking his balls but really that entire first half of the rumble was basically a waste to watch. Brock had a few amusing moments similar to his "I AM A MERCENARY" shit like him dancing but really it was just killing time.

·
Nostalgic at heart
13 Posts
I certainly understand why they booked the Men's Rumble the way they did but I hated the fact that Brock literally eliminated the entire field of the match until Drew McIntyre showed up and eliminated him with the Ricochet assist. Hadn't it been from Edge's epic return, I don't know if the Men's Rumble would get as many rave reviews.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
I get you're licking his balls but really that entire first half of the rumble was basically a waste to watch. Brock had a few amusing moments similar to his "I AM A MERCENARY" shit like him dancing but really it was just killing time.
Everything kills time by how we measure time. There was plenty of good shit in that time.

·
Registered
345 Posts
The only bad thing I have to say about the men's rumble match is the fact that Lesnar's dominance lasted too long. I mean, Drew entered as number 16. Lesnar owned the ring for more than half the entrances! This was an eccelent Royal Rumble match. The women's match was alright

·
Team AEW
2,774 Posts
Finally managed to watch the full show, first time in forever I even watched so much of WWE stuff. Some notes:

- Asuka vs Becky was pretty good, and I liked the storyline promos they showed. Shame Asuka couldn't win the belt, Becky is unbeatable at this point, which could be good I guess, but I don't see her as being totally suitable for this role. Asuka could use the time in Main Event instead. Still, they kinda protected her in loss, and even though I'd prefer Asuka not to tap, at least you can say it wasn't really clean. Again, kinda made sense in the context of the story, but I'd much rather prefer Becky being shown as a woman that just can't beat Asuka. She should've lost here and then have a mental breakdown or something, NOT turn heel, but work her way back up. Being the champion all the time is pretty boring, you've got to lose some of these matches, or people may lose interest. But then again, they say Becky is #1 merch mover in the company, so I guess not.

- Charlotte wins the Rumble, I was like... whatever. I thought Shayna looked good by the end, she has a strong presence but lacks any impact-full moves, in the ring she looks weak. Still would prefer her over Charlotte. What is Flair gonna do anyway now? Every champion she'll choose is an already played out story. Maybe they'll take the title off Bayley and we'll see Charlotte challenge for SD title, who knows. Not interested anyway.

- Bayley vs Evans did not interest me in the slightest.

- Bryan vs Fiend was okay. Didn't think it was worth it for Bryan to take so much punishment. But the guy is an awesome seller, so I kinda look forward for what he does next.

- Men's Rumble was a near perfectly booked match. I loved it. Well, of course I'm biased, because I'm a Drew McIntyre fan, but they did ALL that they could to put him over, and then some more. They did way more than I even expected and honestly wanted. McIntyre eliminated all the people, who fans did not fans to see here - Lesnar, Corbin, Rollins, Reigns. Roman even took the heat for Edge's elimination, and that was a big risk, imo. That crowd was ready to boo Roman, for any reason, and they got provoked to do so, but it was pretty much planned this time. It's unbelievable, and Drew was over as hell. You smark Houston fans, who booed Roman last night - you should know, that Vince MADE YOU cheer Drew McIntyre, who is also his chosen guy, for now. Looks like Drew is the man, at least for the time being.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Great take.

I think it was a Heyman production. Look at how sharp the Raw stories were coming out of it as compared to the SmackDown ones. Roman Reigns is SmackDown, but he's also Roman Reigns, so you use him like that anyway. Corbin and Dolph got a bit of time each, but did anyone else from SmackDown really get emphasis? This whole thing was Brock, Edge, some NXT guys, Orton, Styles and Rollins. You had the angle with the babyface brawling with the disciples.

I dunno, I definitely think Heyman was more involved than, say, Bruce Prichard. It wouldn't surprised me if this had some Pat Patterson influence again. Something about it felt pretty old school. Vince did see him recently. And they did hire Sylvain Grenier. Would it be too much of a conspiracy theory to suggest Vince approaching Pat about helping out and asking what it would take, and then Patterson's boy ends up producing even though he was largely regarded as a pain and being fairly shit during his WWE run?
I agree, definitely an old school way of thinking for the Rumble match. None of the modern 'producers' have the ability to get someone that over that fast. The match itself was expertly done, instead of one long, continuous match it felt like 2-3 combined. Brilliant, whoever was responsible for it.

Also, Brock doesn't get anywhere near the credit he deserves for doing what's asked of him. He trolls the audience better than anyone for heat, but when he needs to take the bump for you, he does his best.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I thought the Rumble was pretty good. Personally I would have liked to see one of the NXT girls or just someone different on the main roster then Charlotte win it, although I understand where they going with this, and Charlotte challenging Ripley is certainly intriguing.

Drew winning the men's rumble I thought was a good choice.

The strap match I actually thought was great.

Becky and Asuka was good as was Bayley and Lacey.

They stopped doing Kofi's athleticism stunts. (about time that ended).

All in all I thought it was a good pay per view though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Reigns vs Corbin
100th time we have seen this? really predictable and boring. end was the only good part.

Women's Rumble
not bad. shayna coming in 30th was no surprise. flair vs shayna wasn't either but could have gone either way. giving shayna a title shot at WM without being on the main roster would have been a bit dumb.

Bayley vs Evans
guess they wanted all the top titles defended and that is why this was on the program? hopefully bayley winning with the tights doesn't mean this continues but SD has a pretty weak female roster.

Fiend vs Bryan
given there was no chance that bryan wins, I couldn't really get into the match. was decent but not sure what the point here is.

Becky vs Asuka
second best match of the night. was fine expect for the overacting of ref and becky like they were going to stop the match.

Men's Rumble
up to this point I thought that the PPV was slightly below average. then this happened. was the second best rumble I have seen after 1992. the brock part was unique and great. of course a low blow knocks him out but we needed at least half of a typical rumble. with reigns and drew at the end I was about to throw the remote through the tv BUT then roman lost. think they could have booked drew better in the past if they knew he was gonna win the rumble. they really need to look further into the future so the story lines are more coherent.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
How many years is that in a row now that Reigns is the last guy eliminated?? My memory is bad, but it seems like it happens every year lol

·
Nostalgic at heart
13 Posts
I believe it's the 3rd year in a row. And the year where he defended the WWE title in the Rumble, he was the 28th guy eliminated (Ambrose ended up being the last one eliminated)

·
Bleep, bloop, bloam, goodbye to your home.
7,711 Posts
Men's Rumble, RAW had 23 eliminations, edge had 3 and Corbin + Roman had both 3 combined. Not a good day for Smackdown.

Women's Rumble is more interesting: NXT got 17 + Beth's elimination if you count her as part of NXT. Raw had 5 and Smackdown had 4. Raw would have 6 if you count Lana eliminating Liv but she was already eliminated.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
You generalize all WWE fans sucking Vinces cock, so do I generalize the same thing with AEW and Cody. But thats not right, right?
That's now what happened at all. I singled out multiple marks in this thread for throwing a temper tantrum because I didn't enjoy the Rumble.

·
Registered
992 Posts
That's now what happened at all. I singled out multiple marks in this thread for throwing a temper tantrum because I didn't enjoy the Rumble.
So people cant enjoy the Rumble or you will call them marks, just because you didnt enjoy the Rumble? But people wo dont enjoy AEW are called trolls in that section. Still dont get my point, ah dont bother ;)

1461 - 1481 of 1484 Posts