Wrestling Forum banner

1441 - 1460 of 1484 Posts

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Holy shit, that Rumble was brilliant. I haven't liked WWE in a long time, but that was a tremendous piece of business:

* Brock Lesnar is one of the best workers in the world today, and I'm sorry, but if you think otherwise you're just wrong. You're wrong! He escalated the tension with him going through everybody perfectly. His dancing when MVP came out and his "oooh" face at Keith Lee were priceless. He got to work with a bunch of guys you'd never usually see him with, and he sold for them as much as he should have.

* Ricochet gets something out of kicking Brock in the balls. Drew gets something out of eliminating Brock. That reaction Drew got in the wake of that? That's people accepting him as a star. He immediately gets to eliminate someone else in spectacular fashion.

* Brock is out and AJ Styles is in. One great worker holding it together to another.

* Matt Riddle and Keith Lee got some shine, and that is going to help them as stars for NXT. They don't need to eliminate the most people or make it right until the end to do that. Lee got more out of looking determined to be out there with Brock Lesnar than probably anything he's done in his career. And if you were paying attention, there was a little something between Baron Corbin and Matt Riddle...

* Edge is back! We all heard the rumors, but you don't really appreciate that until it's happening. He looked great. He didn't just do a veteran walks in and gets dumped by a slumming heel. He was there right until the end and he's obviously doing something either with or against Orton, which fits and this told that story.

* Roman Reigns eliminating Edge was an odd choice, because you risk him getting booed, but it's a prelude to the star they are trying to create popping him and tossing him out to win the whole thing. Reigns doesn't look shitty doing that. He gets to make it right until the end. If he's going for the Universal Title, it makes sense to have him there.

* Seth coming out at #30 was fucking brilliant. The guy who won last year. The shit-kicking heel with the thugs. That was clearly to set up that program and get Alistair Black in there in place of Big Show. And when Seth is out there, everybody in that ring had a conceivable chance of winning. Orton and Owens probably weren't on the tip of everybody's tongue, but it's not like they aren't presented as WWE top guys.

* Seth being cornered by the babyfaces with his cronies gone, and him trying to play to Roman Reigns was fucking ace. And then he got his ass tossed. That was tremendous.

* Edge tossing Orton is smart as hell. Instead of just doing that whole "Orton turns on Edge because he's Orton," Edge turned on Orton because he's Edge...and Orton's Orton. The Ultimate Opportunist. No one wants to boo Edge, but they took his heel tendencies and put them into a babyface presentation and didn't make him look like a naive fool.

This was just an excellent piece of business. I thought Patterson must have been involved, but when you look at the stories that were emphasized and how they basically all flow into Raw, this might have been the first Paul Heyman Royal Rumble production. He is earning those dollars and I'm sure Vince wanted to kiss the motherfucker on the mouth.

SmackDown will need to get itself into gear for Mania season now, but there are possibly stories to come out of it. I'm not a big fan of the McMahons being around or authority figures, but this would be a good trigger point for someone to come in and try to "coach" SmackDown. If you wanted a reason to bring up some NXT faces you can simply have Vince McMahon say "SmackDown didn't cut the mustard at the Rumble, so now you have to coexist with these hungry young NXT stars and up your game. Baron, you did fine." Good excuse for The Undisputed Era to crash a New Day/Morrison & Miz match, for example.

But they can also just move towards SmackDown exclusive stories wtih Wyatt targeting Reigns or Reigns targeting Wyatt. Hopefully Bryan and Nakamura do something. Miz & Morrison will probably do some Dirt Sheets at the expense of The New Day. I do hope they run with Baron Corbin vs. Matt Riddle, because that could be the most interesting use of Corbin.
Agree on every single detail.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Really enjoyed the show, especially the men's Rumble. Brock smashing everyone through the first half of the match was brilliant. While the Beast was waiting for his next victim, I was scrolling through Twitter watching everyone have a nuclear meltdown. And it was awesome.

I mean, look at Brock's history and style. That was the perfect way to play it. Keith Lee got more out of a fucking shoulder block than a hundred flips against Dominik Dijakovic. And Drew McIntyre is a made man. Even Ricochet got a small measure of payback after getting low blowed last week.

And then Edge. Damn, I wish I had never heard the rumours. But it was still incredible to see him back- in better shape than he was in for the last couple of years of his WWE run. And he worked long enough and took enough bumps for us to know he can do this going forward. Edge vs. AJ Styles at Mania, please (provided AJ's okay after doing that silly flip bump).

The Falls Count Anywhere match was a nice bit of redemption for Reigns and Corbin after the abysmal TLC match, and the Strap Match was the best thing the Fiend's done to date. Thank fuck the red lighting is gone too.

Really, the only slight downers on the show was Charlotte winning and Bayley vs. Lacey. I don't even begrudge a Charlotte victory on its own- it was always going to happen one day- but I really don't need Charlotte vs. Becky at Mania. It's overdone.

Luckily, to balance things out for the women, we had a pretty damn good Becky vs. Asuka match, and Bianca Belair being a total boss in the Rumble. And Liv and Mandy's outfits... damn!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Men's Rumble was superb. Drew was booked perfectly, credit to whoever put him over by eliminating Brock after his run, and then end with Roman. Rocketed him to the top of the mountain with those two eliminations.

Edge was a mark out moment. Others may have been aware he'd return by I honestly didn't, so I was off my seat. He looked brilliant as well, in shape and timing was great.

Rest of the show was not bad/not good. But a wonderful main event. If Road Dogg produced that one I'll eat my hat.

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
Men's Rumble was superb. Drew was booked perfectly, credit to whoever put him over by eliminating Brock after his run, and then end with Roman. Rocketed him to the top of the mountain with those two eliminations.

Edge was a mark out moment. Others may have been aware he'd return by I honestly didn't, so I was off my seat. He looked brilliant as well, in shape and timing was great.

Rest of the show was not bad/not good. But a wonderful main event. If Road Dogg produced that one I'll eat my hat.
Great take.

I think it was a Heyman production. Look at how sharp the Raw stories were coming out of it as compared to the SmackDown ones. Roman Reigns is SmackDown, but he's also Roman Reigns, so you use him like that anyway. Corbin and Dolph got a bit of time each, but did anyone else from SmackDown really get emphasis? This whole thing was Brock, Edge, some NXT guys, Orton, Styles and Rollins. You had the angle with the babyface brawling with the disciples.

I dunno, I definitely think Heyman was more involved than, say, Bruce Prichard. It wouldn't surprised me if this had some Pat Patterson influence again. Something about it felt pretty old school. Vince did see him recently. And they did hire Sylvain Grenier. Would it be too much of a conspiracy theory to suggest Vince approaching Pat about helping out and asking what it would take, and then Patterson's boy ends up producing even though he was largely regarded as a pain and being fairly shit during his WWE run?

·
Registered
8,491 Posts
Charlotte wins AGAIN. I mean, I was against Becky/Shayna, but at least it would have been novel. Charlotte vs. Becky AGAIN?! Guess those reports from last April were true after all. YIKES. The women's shit looks BAD.

The men's stuff sounds better.

I like Drew, it sounds like they made him a beast last night, but it still feels really sudden. I hope they can maintain what they did last night from the sound of you guys. At least Drew would look the part against Brock and the match should be good.

·
KNEE DA PEOPLE
2,394 Posts
That Rumble match was spectacular.

Brock's reactions when Lee came out were fantastic. Him saying "Big boy" and looking at Heyman and asking "whos this motherfucker?" had me rolling.
The pop from Drew eliminating Lesnar was fucking loud and Edges return holy fuck, we all saw it coming but still.

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
Lol, god bless Roddy Strong and his efforts, but Brock did more to make Keith Lee with his face, a few words and taking one tackle than Strong will probably ever be able to do for him.

·
Registered
284 Posts
but because it is Brock, and it's Brock working with a bunch of guys you wouldn't normally see him against.
You and I have very different definitions of "working" with. Him tossing guys out almost immedietly only sends the continued message that no one else is in Brock's league.

Brock has not buried 95% of the roster. He probably hasn't even worked with 95% of them. "Buried" is an overused term and people don't know what it means,
I know what it means, which is why I didn't use it. I said they won't buy 95% of the roster as a threat, and I'm right. You can talk all day about Keith Lee getting a shoulder tackle on him or how Morrison looks better because Brock threw him really far, but I don't buy it.

Look at what Roman did for Keith Lee vs what Brock just did. Roman made him look good just by working with him 10x more than what Brock did.

I know we won't agree, but I'm just hopful that finally Brock might actually have a legit match with no distractions, low blows, or anything else and just puts over Drew. Only guy he's done that for since he beat Taker is Goldberg.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Thats so funny because you can say the same thing about Cody and AEW, so basically you are very similar to any WWE militant. But I guess you will not see it ;)
You clearly don't visit the AEW section often. I'm highly critical of multiple things that AEW does.

Of course being a sheep you wouldn't understand somebody being an objective thinker.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Your life would be more enjoyable if you hopped off the internet and stopped reading wrestling spoilers it seems. Even after the match you can't decide who was definitely going to win. You don't need to hedge your bets with two options after the fact, it makes your argument easy to pick apart. What wrestling company isn't predictable? AEW? Has MJF turned yet? Of course he has.
It has nothing to do with spoilers and everything to do with bland predictable booking.

MJF turning heel is not comparable to being easily able to predict who the final two men remaining in a 30 man Rumble match. That's just bad and ruins the fun.

Also the little "Well AEW did dis!" deflection isn't going to work as I've stated multiple times I have had no issues calling out AEW for similarly disappointing shows and matches.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
I don’t remember but was Otis and Tucker in the rumble last night? I don’t remember seeing them in it and they were announced to be in it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
992 Posts
You clearly don't visit the AEW section often. I'm highly critical of multiple things that AEW does.

Of course being a sheep you wouldn't understand somebody being an objective thinker.
You generalize all WWE fans sucking Vinces cock, so do I generalize the same thing with AEW and Cody. But thats not right, right?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
the victory pop was 50% for Drew, 50% for it not being Roman. haha.

Great storytelling in this Rumble. Action wasn't much to speak of, but they set up a bunch for the next couple months.
Yeah, that’s why they do this with Roman. I think they’ve overdone it with him in the Rumble, but it helped Drew’s moment, so I’m all right with it. But, seriously Roman has been the runner up, what 5 times? And then a third place finish, and the one he won. That’s obviously absurd.

The entire Rumble had excellent storytelling, though. The first half with Brock dominating, interweaving recent storylines with Rey, Kofi, and Braun. Giving Keith Lee a moment, with Brock hilariously stating, “who is this mother fucker?” Lol. The moment with Shelton was decent, too.

All of the Brock stuff was a build to be paid off when someone eliminated him - which was a huge moment for Drew. Coupled with the recent storyline with Ricochet. It was all well done. Then you have Drew dominate for a bit until Edge’s huge return.

You give Edge his moments, including the time with Orton. You load up the last part of the Rumble with big names. You keep the Seth storyline with the Raw babyfaces going, which was well done, and then you get to the final portion where everyone wants Edge or Drew to win, and everyone dreads that Roman is going to. They have Roman eliminate Edge to make the moment bigger and to not piss people off about Drew doing it. And then they cap it off by having a guy win that actually needed to win the big one and not a retread.

I thought it was nearly perfect. I’m not a huge fan of MVP, and he didn’t look great, but they probably should have treated him a little better. And the same could probably be said for Morrison and Riddle - but you’re not going to love everything. And at least Morrison had a cool looking elimination spot.

1441 - 1460 of 1484 Posts