1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
HBK is the best damn Wrestler ever!
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
21,621 Posts
WWE Raw is the longest running weekly episodic television program. Which basically means it's the longest running show that only airs once a week, where as some of the ones on that wikipedia list air multiple times per week.

·
HBK is the best damn Wrestler ever!
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
anyone got the exact list.. it goes by?

·
Banned
1,787 Posts
Technically it has no competition in weekly episodic tv shows because no show runs all year round except news or maybe soaps and gameshows(I really have no idea). I don't know what they go by and every time I hear this 'fact' I think BULLSHIT.

RAW is it's own genre. Prime time not just sports but also entertainment. I think they just take advantage of that fact with their marketing.

·
People are Sheep
1,727 Posts
RAW falls into the category of shows like Big Bang Theory, Two and Half Men, Seinfeld, Friends, The Office, etc etc. Shows that air once a week. Those shows could never go more than 10 seasons because you run out of material and the show gets stale.

RAW is like a soap opera for men and should really be regarded in its own unique category. So the fact that they say that is misleading but is technically accurate. They are basically Days of your lives but for men but since Soap Operas run daily they aren't weekly episodics. Just clever marketing really.

edit: the wiki list you have is for total episodes. So Soap Operas that have been running for 20 years 5 times a week are obviously going to dominate. Or talk shows like the Tonight Show.

·
Banned
401 Posts
RAW falls into the category of shows like Big Bang Theory, Two and Half Men, Seinfeld, Friends, The Office, etc etc. Shows that air once a week. Those shows could never go more than 10 seasons because you run out of material and the show gets stale.

RAW is like a soap opera for men and should really be regarded in its own unique category. So the fact that they say that is misleading but is technically accurate. They are basically Days of your lives but for men but since Soap Operas run daily they aren't weekly episodics. Just clever marketing really.
It can't though. It runs all year round, those shows don't or didn't.

I agree with the second part entirely though.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I seriously lol'd when they compared Raw's episode count to The Simpsons episode count.

How the hell can you compare Raw - a weekly episodic television show to The Simpsons - an animated TV show (that takes ages to produce one episode)?

Total bullshit.

·
People are Sheep
1,727 Posts
It can't though. It runs all year round, those shows don't or didn't.

I agree with the second part entirely though.
It does fall into the same category though. It is a weekly episodic. That has no bearing on how much of the year it runs. That is why I said RAW is unique and should fall into its own category and why it is misleading. Serialized shows like RAW don't run all year round because for several reasons. It takes several months to shoot the episodes, produce them, edit them etc. And big time shows with big time budgets like the ones I listed are only economically feasible if they air during the most profitable time of the year which is the fall season. That is why you see reruns during the summer.

·
Registered
285 Posts
It does fall into the same category though. It is a weekly episodic. That has no bearing on how much of the year it runs.
Raw is a weekly episodic TV Show.

Big Bang Theory, Friends, The Simpsons etc are not weekly episodic TV shows. Unlike Raw, these shows do not have new episodes every week (understandably).

·
People are Sheep
1,727 Posts
I seriously lol'd when they compared Raw's episode count to The Simpsons episode count.

How the hell can you compare Raw - a weekly episodic television show to The Simpsons - an animated TV show (that takes ages to produce one episode)?

Total bullshit.
Well Simpsons is a weekly episodic too. RAW is a serialized weekly episodic and the Simpsons is a series weekly episodic. The difference being a serialized show is a show that is connected from one episode to the next. You need to see the previous episode to know whats going on in the current one. Like Game of Thrones, 24, Prison Break etc. A series means there isn't an overlap really like Family Guy, Big Bang.

The only real difference between the Simpsons and RAW is that RAW runs all year, thats why the episode count is higher. A better comparison would be number of years running. Really though, a fucking high budget produced series lasting 24 years has never been done before, not even close. So the Simpsons is more impressive.

·
People are Sheep
1,727 Posts
Raw is a weekly episodic TV Show.

Big Bang Theory, Friends, The Simpsons etc are not weekly episodic TV shows. Unlike Raw, these shows do not have new episodes every week (understandably).
They are weekly episodics. They air new episodes once a week for the season they air on. When the season ends, episodes stop airing. That doesn't mean they aren't weekly episodics. If that were the case, then RAW and Smackdown would be the only two shows that fall under that category. Can you name me one other show that airs one episode a week all year round?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Well Simpsons is a weekly episodic too.
No it's not.

There aren't new episodes of The Simpsons every week and when new episodes are produced (say a season of 24 episodes) there is no guarantee that they will show a new one every week. Sometimes it's every 2 weeks and often The Simpsons goes into hiatus mid-season or is put on hold for something else.

The Simpsons is an animated cartoon series not a weekly episodic television show.

Can you name me one other show that airs one episode a week all year round?
I can name plenty of shows that air more than one episode a week.

Raw has one episode a week and therefore comparing it to TV shows that have set seasons is stupid, as I and many others have pointed out.

·
People are Sheep
1,727 Posts
No it's not.

There aren't new episodes of The Simpsons every week and when new episodes are produced (say a season of 24 episodes) there is no guarantee that they will show a new one every week. Sometimes it's every 2 weeks and often The Simpsons goes into hiatus mid-season or is put on hold for something else.

The Simpsons is an animated cartoon series not a weekly episodic television show.

I can name plenty of shows that air more than one episode a week.

Raw has one episode a week and therefore comparing it to TV shows that have set seasons is stupid, as I and many others have pointed out.
lol, weekly episodic means one episode a week. I'm sorry but you don't know what you are talking about. Comparing them is stupid, I agree, I stated that. But Those shows are weekly episodics.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.