Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alot of people on here bash 2009 but how come that was the last time the WWE actually got decent ratings? If it was that bad why were the ratings good?

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Half of Rawa from May of 2009 until like December of 2009 consisted of angles with the celebrity guest host. We don't like that shit. Ratings might have been high because people tuned in to see what Hugh Jackman might have to say, but the shows were horrible quality. Most of the matches were filler shit with Hornswoggle, Santino, etc. Khali was doin some real dumb shit. Dancing contests would take place. I would actually change the channel all the time and do other stuff than watch Raw sometimes, which is something I never do. I've always watched Raw. Smackdown was better in 2009.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Half of Rawa from May of 2009 until like December of 2009 consisted of angles with the celebrity guest host. We don't like that shit. Ratings might have been high because people tuned in to see what Hugh Jackman might have to say, but the shows were horrible quality. Most of the matches were filler shit with Hornswoggle, Santino, etc. Khali was doin some real dumb shit. Dancing contests would take place. I would actually change the channel all the time and do other stuff than watch Raw sometimes, which is something I never do. I've always watched Raw. Smackdown was better in 2009.
Damn that does sound bad lol I stopped watching wrestling from 2002-2009 and started back in 2010. From what I hear 2009 was one of the worst years in Raw history.

·
Banned
13,572 Posts
Raw 2009 sucked, Smackdown 2009 was fuckin awesome

·
Registered
22,784 Posts
MAKE THE PAIN STOP. I remember far too much of Raw 09 that I want to. God it was so fucking bad lol. Went to a Raw taping and usually, even if the show isn't particularly good, being their live makes it entertaining and fun. Usually. I didn't have much fun at all lol. Thank fuck SD and ECW tapings the next night made up for it :mark:.

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
Alot of people on here bash 2009 but how come that was the last time the WWE actually got decent ratings? If it was that bad why were the ratings good?
decent ratings :yum: raw did its best average viewership since 2001 that year all thanks to the celebrity guest hosts

so when people harp back to ratings = quality, remind them about 2009 :agree:

·
Banned
5,106 Posts
Guest hosts. Duh.

In terms of the quality of the show itself, it was an absolute travesty, one of the worst times Raw ever went through. A lot of the times, there was a long segment or two dedicated to some dumbass sketch of what that person was famous for doing (like Bob Barkers show, Jerry Springer's dumbass show), and the wrestling suffered horribly. There were a lot of times where the guest host for that edition of Raw was in a match or even in the main event, so those matches ended up being short, not very entertaining, and cartoony, comedy-type matches.

The main event scene during this time was an absolute joke. This was that infamous time during WWE where they were failing to make any new stars, and Cena, Triple H and Orton dominated the main event scene on Raw (a show that did not include Smackdown or ECW, since they were still their own separate brands and btw were much, MUCH better shows). The group Orton was in, Legacy, was built up a lot during this time, but they never really went anywhere and looked incredibly weak at times. I can remember one match had Triple H, John Cena and Seth Green face off against Legacy. It was a joke, a match that should not have happened but for what ever reason, it happened. Legacy was pretty much a joke for the majority of the year, but ended up getting their saving grace for a short while when DX reunited and they ended up going into a feud with them.

But DX is the next part. At this point, DX was nothing more than two 40 year olds attempting to make comedy on a PG rated show and constantly promoted their product. Not only did this make them very annoying, but it just made the product itself more embarrassing to watch. Their incredibly annoying segments with Hornswoggle didn't help either, but it did lead to an awesome moment where Triple H predigreed the little fuck. That's probably the only positive you'll see here.

There was also a time where Chavo Guerrero was actually jobbing to Hornswoggle in matches for an extended period of time, and it just ended up making the product drop an entire letter grade. Chavo Guerrero used to be a highly respected performer for the WWE, was at least considered an incredibly skilled in ring performer, and was always known as being a part of the legendary Guerrero family. But Chavo never recovered from this, and eventually left the WWE.

I could go on, but I'll stop there with the examples portion of this. So basically, it was a show that was dedicated to mostly comedy and kid friendly stuff. It was at this point that most IWC fans decided to defy logic and started calling it the "PG Era", a praise that never should have gotten popular, and yet somehow did, and ended up demonstrating the average intelligence of the IWC. The wrestling had little to no relevance anymore, there were no new or fresh feuds, and no stars were built until the end of the year when Sheamus started his first WWE title run. It's strange because over on ECW and Smackdown, the exact opposite was happening. On ECW, the wrestling was consistently great, Christian was actually a world champion for ECW and dominated the brand, putting on numerous great matches with different people, and wrestlers from ECW were being shipped over to the other brands and in a way ended up finding some success. And then on Smackdown, they had great feuds such as Jericho/Mysterio, Punk/Hardy, the wrestling was consistently great, and 2009 was the year Cm Punk started his rise into the main event scene and became one of the biggest heels in the WWE, although an incident with Taker ended up stopping his push for a while.

Don't let the ratings Raw got that year fool you. Ratings are not an indication of how good a show is. For the past three or so months, Raw has arguably been at it's best in a very long time, and has had a lot of quality wrestling with outstanding talent in the main event scene. WWE is an entertainment product, despite them still being a Pro Wrestling company. Right now we are seeing WWE go more towards the Pro Wrestling approach, with having guys such as Cm Punk and Daniel Bryan as their top dogs, but with guys like Cena, Christian, Mysterio, Henry, Jericho and Sheamus out, there aren't many big names on the show to keep people into it, so it's hard to build up new talent. In 2009 that wasn't the case. They had a lot of big name talent and they had the chance to build up quite a few new stars, but they didn't really try to.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
SD was hot that year. The whole year was awesome. I stopped watching Raw only watched it few times because of how bad it is, same thing happened to me in 2007.

Edit: Very deserving ratings for SD.

·
Banned
10,758 Posts
I loved the mainevent angle between HHH and Orton during the first half of 2009.Hated the Guest Host concept.

ZZ Top interacting with Santino and DX in Little People's Court are two of the worst moments.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts