Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Banned
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After AEW announced a two week Fyter Fest-labelled run of Dynamite for July 1 & 8, with what they described as PPV-quality cards, WWE began counter-programming.

First it was a title vs. title match for the 8th. Then they dusted off the Great American Bash name to officially make their own two week event. Big matches were booked for this Wednesday, headlined by two of the best wrestlers in the world.
Now, they’ve announced the USA Network broadcast will feature “limited commercial interruptions.” That gives it a more TakeOver-like feel... and gives you fewer reasons to flip over to TNT.
It seems that, in addition to wanting to have an answer for Fyter Fest, Triple H & company may smell blood in the water. NXT had a much larger audience than Dynamite last week, and significantly closed the gap in the demographic ratings too.

The Wednesday Night War is heating up, and you know what they say about love and war.
Here are the two cards for tomorrow night (July 1):
Fyter Fest, Night One
  • Jake Hager vs. Cody Rhodes (c) for the TNT championship
  • Kenny Omega & Hangman Page (c) vs. Best Friends for the AEW Tag Team titles
  • Hikaru Shida (c) vs. Penelope Ford for the AEW Women’s championship
  • Private Party (with Matt Hardy) vs. Santana & Ortiz
  • Jungle Boy & Luchasaurus vs. MJF & Wardlow
Great American Bash, Night One
  • Sasha Banks vs. Io Shirai (non-title)
  • Candice LeRae, Mia Yim, Dakota Kai & Tegan Nox in a Fatal 4Way Elimination match to determine the #1 contender for the NXT Women’s championship
  • Dexter Lumis vs. Roderick Strong in a Strap Match
  • Oney Lorcan vs. Timothy Thatcher
  • Rhea Ripley vs. Aliyah & Robert Stone; if Ripley loses, she has to join The Robert Stone Brand

·
Banned
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Funny thing is this is HHH trying to go for the knockout blow on Tony Khan. HHH wants to bury him and will do whatever it takes to do so.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
NXT looks the goods. I know Rhea is a big deal in the WWE whilst a strap match and the dream match between Banks and Shirai makes the NXT seem strong to me (Admittedly I don't watch NXT so maybe I'm wrong)

AEW isn't really offering any dream matches but Hager/Cody has been built up to for a little while as has Best Friends/Page and Omega. The AEW midcard looks really weak though.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I usually watch one or the other and then record the other show to watch the next day. Looking at the lineups, I'll probably watch AEW and record NXT.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
I really don't care about NXT's product nowadays. Cole's reign is tiresome, and the tag team division is dead. Other than that awesome Fight Pit match most of their stuff was forgettable.

But their card seems strong. Io vs Sasha is something I'm def checking out. Lorcan vs Thatcher should be great too.
AEW's card on the other hand is.... fine, at best. Tag matches are whatever, and Hager/Cody is heatless.

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
NXT is going to be the better show. Lorcan vs. Thatcher is going to be INSANE. I’m sure Strong will bust ass in the Strap Match too. Sasha and Io should do well, but I’m not sure how the other women matches/segments will do. It could go either way.

AEW really only has MJF and Jungle Boy to carry this thing through. It’ll also be interesting to see if they go into panic mode after their terrible rating. Will they try and force some surprises?

Shida and Ford could win a segment against the four-way or Lorcan/Thatcher, sadly. It’ll say nothing about the quality, but fap time is fap time. Cody can be a ratings getter, but against Hager? It really depends on where they put it, too. I can see Jack Swagger getting killed by Sasha vs. Io. Expect Brandi and Catalina out there in skimpy gear.

·
Registered
22,250 Posts
One thing I don't get is the limited commercial thing, as for whatever reason most shows all seem to take commercial breaks at the same time lol. Of NXT is in commercial 9/10 so is AEW and whatever's on ESPN lol.

But night 1 of NXT is heavy on women's wrestling that might backfire.

·
Banned
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
NXT is going to be the better show. Lorcan vs. Thatcher is going to be INSANE. I’m sure Strong will bust ass in the Strap Match too. Sasha and Io should do well, but I’m not sure how the other women matches/segments will do. It could go either way.

AEW really only has MJF and Jungle Boy to carry this thing through. It’ll also be interesting to see if they go into panic mode after their terrible rating. Will they try and force some surprises?

Shida and Ford could win a segment against the four-way or Lorcan/Thatcher, sadly. It’ll say nothing about the quality, but fap time is fap time. Cody can be a ratings getter, but against Hager? It really depends on where they put it, too. I can see Jack Swagger getting killed by Sasha vs. Io. Expect Brandi and Catalina out there in skimpy gear.
Dynamite might get more viewers than NXT this week because of Fyter Fest but we'll see if that happens since the biggest thing on night 1 is Cody Rhodes vs Jack Swagger which Im sure will lose thousands of viewers on its own.

One thing I don't get is the limited commercial thing, as for whatever reason most shows all seem to take commercial breaks at the same time lol. Of NXT is in commercial 9/10 so is AEW and whatever's on ESPN lol.

But night 1 of NXT is heavy on women's wrestling that might backfire.
Its commercial free for the first match.

·
Registered
535 Posts
But it’s really the same with AEW at this point.
Maybe. Maybe I'm biased.

But for the most part, the AEW stars that mean anything (e.g Inner Circle, Elite, MJF, Jungle Express, Archer, Brodie etc) seem to have a relatively stable direction of travel and freedom from inorganic promos (it helps) on a week to week basis.

Whereas Bazler and Forgotten Sons got pulled. Belair suddenly turned face, after a good showing at Royal Rumble, before facing the same opponent on Main Event for two months. Raiders shifted attitude back and forth for no reason before moving into juvenile comedy skits. Ricochet is doing 50/50 booking with lower midcard wrestlers on ME. They didn't seem to know what to do with Black in 2019 - now he's firmly midcard and lost in the shuffle.

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
Maybe. Maybe I'm biased.

But for the most part, the AEW stars that mean anything (e.g Inner Circle, Elite, MJF, Jungle Express, Archer, Brodie etc) seem to have a relatively stable direction of travel and freedom from inorganic promos (it helps) on a week to week basis.

Whereas Bazler and Forgotten Sons got pulled. Belair suddenly turned face, after a good showing at Royal Rumble, before facing the same opponent on Main Event for two months. Raiders shifted attitude back and forth for no reason before moving into juvenile comedy skits. Ricochet is doing 50/50 booking with lower midcard wrestlers on ME. They didn't seem to know what to do with Black in 2019 - now he's firmly midcard and lost in the shuffle.
Fair enough. I understand being cynical when it comes to WWE. But there isn’t one person in AEW who is being used to their utmost potential right now. Not one.

Most of the talents you listed are exactly where they’re supposed to be, haha. I mean, I get the overall complaint, but those might not be the best examples. :p

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Io vs Sasha is a match I want to see, especially for Io, but other than that maybe Lorcan vs Tatcher should be a good hard hitting contest. I'm kind of disappointed with both cards but it's still TV, not ppv.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts