Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
9,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a fairly regular WWE dvd collector, and I can't help but notice trends in a lot of the bogus bias presented in WWE's version of events and how fans today interpret wrestling history. It's almost like WWE likes to right the wrongs of their past and create animousity towards anyone who opposes/opposed the company's prosperity.

To be perfectly honest, a lot of it just makes me sick. I'm a life-long WWE fan, but I really hate the way the company tries to re-write history.

- One of these instances I touched on last week in another thread was the defection of Jericho, Benoit, Eddie, Saturn, and Malenko from WCW. One thing I absolutely HATE hearing on these boards is that these guys left WCW because they weren't "getting over" in WCW. Ok... first of all, I can tell you as someone who was a die-hard fan of wrestling during that era that that is complete and utter bullshit.

If that was the case, then why in the world did Jericho recieve such an overwhelming ovation upon his debut in WWE? That deafening roar was not an accident. Jericho was about as over as over gets during that time. I watched that episode of Monday Night Raw live when it went down. I didn't really even watch a lot of WCW during that time, and even I knew full well who he was. Same with Benoit and the Radicalz, as soon as the camera panned to them, JR was simply calling them by their names. He didn't even need to say they were from WCW. And NONE of them required any type of special attention by the WWE writers to get them over.

Things like this just annoy me a little. Granted, none of them were given world heavyweight championships during their time in WCW when some of the biggest names in wrestling history were in the WCW main event scene (ie Hogan, Goldberg, Sting, Luger, Nash, etc), but really, was that such a bad thing? People here make it seem like WWE SAVED these guys, made their lives infinitely better, and immedietly pushed them to the stars, when practically all of them stayed in the midcard scene in WWE for at least 3 years after arriving. Fuck, they wouldn't even put the strap on Benoit until 2004, FOUR years after he arrived. And look what they did with him after 04... nothing. WCW was even putting the title on Scott Steiner and Booker T in 2000 ffs, you mean to tell me NONE of these guys would have made it there eventually? I actually think they would have made it sooner in WCW tbh. Where is Hogan and Nash's input in these mass amounts of dvd documentaries WWE puts out? Why are Bischoff's segments extremely limited and all plucked from the same 2003 interview? Pretty fucked up if you ask me.

Basically they make it seem like WCW was a vile and horrible place to work, when clearly some younger talent were happy there. Rey Mysterio and Booker T stayed with the company until the doors closed, and look how long they hung around in WWE afterwards.

- Another piece of propaganda that really fucking annoys me is the notion WWE just took off and RAN with the "Austin 3:16" era immedietly after King of the Ring 96 when the phrase was coined and knew all along he was going to be a star. If that's so, then explain to me why he didn't appear on another ppv for nearly 6 months and it took Bret Hart re-signing and demanding to have his return match with Austin before WWE even considered putting him on another ppv card? 6 months is a pretty long fucking time if you ask me. And when you're getting your asses OWNED by WCW the way WWE was in 96, I dunno, maybe you make a bigger deal about something if you claim it was such a wonderful little idea this whole time. Maybe you let the then-WWE Magazine editor Vince Russo put him on the cover of the magazine at the very least... an idea Vince McMahon shot down.

- And speaking of Bret Hart, I find it just a little peculiar that Vince and WWE always loooove to dodge several facts surrounding the Montreal Screwjob. Sure, Vince admits fault in some of it, but not once ever mentions he signed Bret to a contract there was no way in hell he could afford. Nor does he ever mention one of the clauses in that contract stated Bret had CREATIVE CONTROL (yes that's right, the two words WWE absolutely loves to hate on WCW for) in the way he eventually departed the company.

Anyways, I just fealt like some of this needed to be said. Feel free to voice any other misconceptions WWE imposes on their fans through various mediums.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I have never heard it be said that those guys moved to the WWF because they weren't getting over. I think the known story is that they were over it's just that they were never given the opportunites to break through to the next level

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
It does annoy me, but to be fair.... calling a current superstart (Taker) the 2nd greatest of all time, giving Edge 10 world titles calling him one of the grreatets of all time etc.... good, easy and simple way to get them over, especially for the younger audience. Any smart business would do it, would make no sense degrading people who are there to sell tickets currently. But some of them do annoy, Hogan being called the 23rd greatest superstar of all time, atleast show some realism. Oh yeah, Edge and Christian are suddenly best friends :)

·
Registered
7,523 Posts
WWE can make it loo ok like they werent over cos they are Wrestling in North America on a grand scale. With WWE essentially owning the last century on Wrestling they can spin a lot of shit on their dvds and they have a lot of times. But the stuff with Beniot Eddie Malenko Saturn and Jericho they seem to say these guys were nothing in WCW and we made them over well no if when they all showed up how come the WWF audience was cheering if they didnt know who was walking down the ramp.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I have to agree with you partly, but i never heard anybody ay they couldn't get over there, it was more that they got held down. They didn't demand anything, just a fair chance to climb the Ladder.

·
Registered
7,523 Posts
That Shawn Michaels is the greatest superstar of all time.
well i heard HBKs friend has a lot of swing backstage but anyway that top 50 list was bullshit. Hogan at #23 i bet you all money if Hogan never left for TNA and was on terms with McMahon Hogan would be top 5 and Michaels would not be top 5. Edge Orton Cena Mysterio Kane have done nothing compared to the likes of Austin Rock Taker Hogan Flair etc it's cos WWE ram them down our throats cos and give them 10 world titles a year they consider them the best they have.

·
Banned
9,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I have never heard it be said that those guys moved to the WWF because they weren't getting over. I think the known story is that they were over it's just that they were never given the opportunites to break through to the next level
Even so... look how long it took for that to happen for Benoit, Jericho, and Guerrero in WWE. Saturn and Malenko never even reached the level they were at in WCW.

Truth be told, Jericho was only really on WCW television of a little over 2 years and became mega famous there. The rest were there for about 4. Kind of early to be demanding world title reigns over Hogan and Goldberg if you ask me. And I think we can all agree Saturn and Malenko were never world title material to begin with.

And honestly, I'm pretty sure the only reason Benoit left was because his booker Kevin Sullivan fucked his wife before he did. But of course, WWE didn't want to make Benoit seem like a spiteful teenager during that time.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
well i heard HBKs friend has a lot of swing backstage but anyway that top 50 list was bullshit. Hogan at #23 i bet you all money if Hogan never left for TNA and was on terms with McMahon Hogan would be top 5 and Michaels would not be top 5. Edge Orton Cena Mysterio Kane have done nothing compared to the likes of Austin Rock Taker Hogan Flair etc it's cos WWE ram them down our throats cos and give them 10 world titles a year they consider them the best they have.
This (except for Cena), annoys me how they think that throwing around World titles which are nowhere near even remotely prestigeous as they once were, automatically makes X 'the __th superstar of all time'. We meant to believe Edge, Eddie (all due respect but come on...) and Rey are bigger superstars and have had greater impacts, according to their little list, then Hogan, Sammartino and Thesz?

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
with Montreal screwjob there's so many misconception but one thing is all Vince fault for making Shawn vs Bret and put title to Bret on first place for 2 reason...
1) Bret always have that hatred toward Shawn publicily and Shawn never going to drop the belt lid down to bret so why bret laid down for shawn? if it's taker-austin-taker or anyone other than shawn then everything will be different. from all of shootings interviews-books with all superstars they have very negative remarks toward The Clique and shawn micheals, on Shawn DVD Vince-Patterson did say Shawn didn't do what he ask to do and he did admit it on his farewell Speech that he drives vince crazy. if that the case should you take on Shawn instead of Bret? Shawn pretty much a loner in locker room, so many guys hated him, Taker and foley didn't want to turn up on raw after screwjob. d'lo and savio vega said locker room was sad and quite after screwjob until Austin took the spotlight.
2)the clique and MSG curtian call: backstage power-politics-control wwe-buried talent for Instance The ROck who got buried by Shawn and Bret came out have a match with rock make him like a millions buck and this is why we never see HBK vs Rock.

you have to thank god for HHH got punish for curtian call and WWE replace HHH with Austin to win King of The Ring 96. The Clique use powers to put themself over and they would be like NWO HOgan-Nash-Hall destoy WCW

·
Registered
7,523 Posts
This (except for Cena), annoys me how they think that throwing around World titles which are nowhere near even remotely prestigeous as they once were, automatically makes X 'the __th superstar of all time'. We meant to believe Edge, Eddie (all due respect but come on...) and Rey are bigger superstars and have had greater impacts, according to their little list, then Hogan, Sammartino and Thesz?
WWE wants us to think that if they are a multi time world champ they are great. Edge they give the title to cos why not he is like a Taker who gets a pointless title run to prepare the next guy. Eddie well WWE uses Eddie cos they can milk eddie i love eddie and all that but WWE has tarnished he legacy with all the shit they do with his name and stuff. We are supposed to belive that all the young newer talent are more influental than the legends. Sammarino didnt made the list at 24 man want he the first big star in WWWF that Vince Sr wanted as the NWA world champ when he was on the NWA board. So when Vince took the WWWF out he made Bruno his champ and ran with him for 8 years and the current WWE put him in at 24 . Hogan got screwed around for the guy who made the business what it is gets 23 cos they think he left well he is gonna get put down in their books. Lou Thesz a 6 time NWA World Champ and arguably one of the best in ring wokrers ever got in at 21 and Cena got higher Cena who has been on top for 5 years got above a all time great WTF. I could go on for the duration of this list but WWE did a bad job and should of done best Personalties it would suit them more than screwing over Wrestlers. And why is JYD on this list his WWE run sucked

·
Banned
9,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If Sammartino wasn't on that fucking dvd, then :lmao @ that. I'm glad I didn't buy it in that case.

And Hogan being #23 is so lol-worthy, I'm not even sure where to begin commenting on it. In terms of WWE, he was #1 without a doubt. The only two people you could even present an intelligent argument for #1 besides him were Austin and Rock.

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
I agree with you for the most part but the reason Jericho and co left and went to the WWE was because they felt they couldn't break the glass ceiling in WCW and were being held down. With that in mind I totally agree with you that they all would have moved up the card in the 00's a lot quicker than they did in the WWF. Benoit was given the WCW world title a few days before he left but he quickly gave it back to Sid and they choose to ignore that fact.

I was a massive WCW fan back in the day (more than a WWF fan) and I can tell you that Jericho was booked quite strongly. He had a very similar character to the Miz, only Jericho pulled it off a lot better. Jeircho would walk around with his comedy side kick Ralphus (as Miz does with Riley), then Jericho wouldn't pick fights with the top name in the comedy and claim fake victories over him (as Miz did with Cena). Not to mention the great fued for the Cruiserweight title he had with Dean Malenko, where he eventually dropped the belt to Dean (Miz/Bryan situation).

Another thing that really bugs me about the wrestling industry is that everybody wants their favorite wrestler in the main event scene when sometimes, there's just no room for them. In boxing, you don't have all the better/more entertaining fighters in the main event scene, if you did, they'd get crushed. Imagine a fight between Mayweather and Vitali klitschko, Klitscho would beat the fuck out of Mayweather and the same principles apply to pro-wrestling. WCW couldn't push guys like Y2J, Eddie & Benoit to the main event scene at that time because they had guys like Goldberg, Nash & Sting who were both booked really strongly and also have the size and strength advantage.

The real reason Y2J and the Radicalz jumped ship to WWF was that they were in a better position than WCW was at the time and just like anyone playing for a sports team, you'd rather be playing for a winning team than a losing team.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
If Sammartino wasn't on that fucking dvd, then :lmao @ that. I'm glad I didn't buy it in that case.
And Hogan being #23 is so lol-worthy, I'm not even sure where to begin commenting on it. In terms of WWE, he was #1 without a doubt. The only two people you could even present an intelligent argument for #1 besides him were Austin and Rock.
He was, in the 20s somewhere, not sure the exact number, not gonna go wasting my time looking for it, all I know that Edge was above (was above Hogan too) him, which is literally laughable.

·
Banned
9,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The real reason Y2J and the Radicalz jumped ship to WWF was that they were in a better position than WCW was at the time and just like anyone playing for a sports team, you'd rather be playing for a winning team than a losing team.
I can buy that. Of course it's not something you want to admit to because I guess it's kind of an ego thing there. Even if you're rarely doing shit on the winning team, hey... at least you're winning! Kind of like a third string offensive linemen celebrating when his team scores a touchdown.

I just hate the way Jericho, Benoit, and Eddie have slammed WCW for this kind of thing in numerous dvd's, yet I haven't heard a single comment from Rey, Booker, Steiner, DDP, or anyone else that was actually prospering in WCW during those years. I mean fuck, if you're going to tell a story, fine... but tell the whole story.

·
Banned
2,820 Posts
You're upset with WWE for manipulating the truth to make themselves look superior to past competitors?

OH MY!

:rolleyes: It would be bad business to do anything other than what they have done. Smarks are hilarious. It's also quite amusing that you get work up other such insignificant details.

·
Banned
9,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You're upset with WWE for manipulating the truth to make themselves look superior to past competitors?

OH MY!

:rolleyes: It would be bad business to do anything other than what they have done. Smarks are hilarious. It's also quite amusing that you get work up other such insignificant details.
You're hardly one to talk considering nearly every post you make is just getting worked up over wrestling angles.

And yeah, forgive me if I have a problem with WWE distorting the truth about real life.

Moron.

·
You're a mong.
5,399 Posts
I'd not expect them to do it any other way than they do now, hence why it doesn't bother me. Easy to see why some people would be irritated by it as there are many holes in the stories told, but if I was in charge of the WWE, I'd not do it any differently myself.

·
also known as a BUSTER
11,974 Posts
The biggest myth that WWE perpetuate is that the Eric Bischoff era of WCW was better than what came before. The second is that Rhyno is a hardcore ECW original. Everyone still laps those things up.

WCW was obviously a horrible clique-y place to work, where young guys where held down, Cerbs. It's not Vince saying that, it's the talent. Those guys got over by having to work 100 times harder than everyone else had to. If what you're saying is that WWF was no better, at times, then you're right but...

·
Banned
9,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The biggest myth that WWE perpetuate is that the Eric Bischoff era of WCW was better than what came before. The second is that Rhyno is a hardcore ECW original. Everyone still laps those things up.

WCW was obviously a horrible clique-y place to work, where young guys where held down, Cerbs. It's not Vince saying that, it's the talent. Those guys got over by having to work 100 times harder than everyone else had to. If what you're saying is that WWF was no better, at times, then you're right but...
I'm fully aware it's the talent saying that. But my point was, we only hear from the talent that left. You would think as much of an iconic WCW figure Rey Mysterio was, we would have heard his side of things in those documentaries, and I'm saying it's not a coincidence we didn't. Jericho even states in the Rise and Fall of WCW they were basically told "not to get over". Those were his exact words. And it's pretty rich coming from a guy who was being pushed to the stars after only a year in the company, which was EXTREMELY uncommon back then, especially in WCW. And he complains about WCW politics for not getting a world title run and blames Nash for everything? pffffffft. I love Jericho, but that is complete bs.

And don't give me this crap about "having to work" to earn your spot. With the exception of the man beast that was Goldberg, every single person on that roster that was above them on the totem pole had been working considerably longer than any of them in major promotions. I liked Jericho, Benoit, and Guerrero as much as anyone. But to say any of those guys were ready to carry the ball for WCW and go against WWE's Austin, Rock, DX, Foley, etc is pretty ridiculous. People love to rip on Hogan and Nash, but those guys could at least hold their ground against the WWE.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts