Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even more financial data is coming in from WWE’s Fourth Quarter 2010 financial results and the numbers for WWE’s pay-per-view buyrates are not pretty.

Pay-per-view buyrates for Q4 2010 were down a staggering 23% from the previous year. Pay-per-view revenue was $13.8 million, down from $16.3 million in 2009.

Here is a breakdown of the buyrates by event: October’s Hell in a Cell did 210,000 buys, down from the 283,000 buys in 2009. October’s Bragging Rights did 137,000 buys, down from 181,000 buys in 2009. November’s Survivor Series did 244,000 buys, up from 235,000 buys in 2009. December’s TLC did 195,000 buys, down from 228,000 buys in 2009.

http://wrestleheat.com/wwe-financial-results-show-a-ppv-decline-of-23-from-last-year=2365

Would you say this is good or bad???
$13.8 million compared to $16.3, not as bad as it seems I think, youth movement in full swing in a shitty economy. Last year they had Taker, HBK, Y2J, Batista etc in full use.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
See, making PPVs more money was a smart way to go. They are down, but because of the price increase, they are not down as much as they would be.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,159 Posts
Guess they knew what they were doing with that price increase. Still a fairly dramatic hit in revenue, though.

·
Registered
9,255 Posts
I'm telling you if companies like Netflix got into the live streaming business they could make a fortune off of WWE and especially UFC. More and more people are cutting the cable and therefore have no access to PPV all because of the ridiculous prices.

But yeah it's pretty obvious why WWE came out with more PPV's. There's still a number of people who will buy every PPV and therefore WWE will recoup that lost revenue from fewer buys by having more events. I think the same thing is going to happen to UFC because more and more athletes are going to get into MMA and the talent pool will increase and UFC will have the flexibility to hold more PPV's. Plus there buy rates wont go down at the same rate WWE's has.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I hate to be just another guy blaming the product but I honestly feel like if WWE would hype more than just the world title and Cena matches people would be more likely to purchases PPVs

You also raise a good point about streaming services like Netflix. That could be a goldmine waiting to be found

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
The real question is are the PPV buys going down because the cost rising or the quality? Honestly I doubt it's the quality because there were always those hardcores that would buy no matter what. How much is Wrestlemania now? Like $60? I can't afford that let alone paying that every month for PPVs.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,159 Posts
Hey, look at that. The one PPV that had a compelling storyline going into it, Survivor Series, was the only one who's buyrate went up. That's hardly a coincidence.
A true tale of two Survivor Series builds, since the previous year's main event build was among the worst of all time.

·
Banned
4,201 Posts
Torrents are definetly making a big difference though, go look on pirate bay and the sheer amount of people who have downloaded Royal Rumble, there are about 4 or 5 different versions of it.

I would imagine WWE are going to start coming down hard on illegal downloads and streams.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.