Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

Sorry my knowledge isn’t up to scratch in this sense, but do the referee’s have anything to do with the structure of a match or do they literally just call as they see it? I know they will know who is going to be the winner or how the match will end (and when its time to do the 3 count) but do they have a say in any of the construction of the match or is that all down to the wrestlers?

·
Ted the Moth
12,865 Posts
WWE officials are the structure of a match. As well as assisting communication between wrestlers, they keep track of time and make sure wrestlers are okay after any particularly nasty bump. They even help for some spots like Edge/Cena TLC, when he's doing the big FU it's the referee that's actually holding the ladder down.

Referees are the glue man. Never take them for granted.

·
Parks and Recreation Dept.
7,372 Posts
They know the finish, they know when to go home (when the match needs to end) and if they're taking a bump as part of the finish, then obviously they know that.

Unless you're Tim White inside the Cell with Jericho and HHH.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Officials do indeed play a role in the flow of a match. As you mentioned, they are aware of certain scripted points in the match and have their parts to play in that. But they can also be a point of communication between the wrestlers and the promoters in the back. They can relay what move is coming from a wrestler to the other wrestler, they can tell the wrestlers to either pick up the pace of the match or to slow it down, and they can alert them when it is time to start wrapping it up. Their roles are very important and when you have a ref who doesn't know what he's doing, it shows.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for clearing that one up guys, instead starting a new topic I will keep in hear. On the premise they take control of alot of the match, who would you say was the best ref in the buisness at this time?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for clearing that one up guys. In that case as they take control of alot of the match, who would you say was the best ref in the buisness at this time?

·
Parks and Recreation Dept.
7,372 Posts
My favorite ref has always been Mike Chioda. Always takes his job seriously, takes a solid bump, and I've always loved his long, dramatic, "WILL HE JUST HIT THREE, ALREADY!" counts. For big-time main events, Chioda should always be the ref. I was disappointed - and rather taken aback - when he was suspended recently. What, he get caught smoking an innocent joint outside an arena?

Never liked Hebner, and I'm not saying that as a vengeful, scorned Canadian fan who refuses to forget Montreal. I just always thought there were better refs like Chioda and Jack Doan. Hebner buys into his own celebrity (see any TNA house show report, where he rips his shirt off to reveal a slogan that buys into the 'Earl Screwed Bret' chants) and beside that, his counts were way too fast to be dramatic on any level!

May seem like I'm nitpicking, but as some have pointed out, sometimes it's the ref who balances out how great a match can be.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts