Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
- For the second pay-per-view in a row, WWE officials reportedly came close to putting the WWE Title on Daniel Bryan. Bryan almost went over CM Punk at WWE's Over the Limit pay-per-view and was discussed as the potential winner at No Way Out.

Source: Wrestlinginc.com

Edit: Showed the report from Wrestling observer for more credibility

- Following his victory over Kane and Daniel Bryan last night, CM Punk now has one of the longest WWE Title reigns in years. Word is that while Punk's reign continues, that WWE officials may still not be sold on the reign continuing.

Once again the story is that WWE officials came very close to having CM Punk drop the WWE Championship to Daniel Bryan at last night's PPV, which would be the second consecutive PPV that WWE has considered the change.

WWE is reportedly very pleased with the way Punk has performed as champion, even though his title defenses are not headlining PPV events. But WWE officials are also very high on Daniel Bryan and there is a feeling that Punk chasing Bryan could make for a better feud.

Source: WrestlingObserver

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,155 Posts
Punk's WWE Championship reign needs to be built up before it ends, and Daniel Bryan needs to be built up in the meantime, too. Wrestling should be constantly teasing us.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Either you put it on him or you don't. this being close to doing it crap means nothing. Wasn't this the same thing we went through with Del rio almost going over edge at numerous times?

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,155 Posts
Punk is dropping it to the MITB winner, by the usual cheap cash in IMO.
Ugh. So lame. So tired. So predictable. So unworthy. Edge-Cena was a special case, it was the inaugural cash-in, it established Edge's "Ultimate Opportunist" persona to a tee, it was, in that instance, the proper way to conclude Cena's marathon reign.

Punk's reign 6-1/2 years later? Not so much. All of that hard work, all of that time, and in the end, we'll have another cowardly chickenshit heel get a reign where he's the "undeserved" champion and we can all just set our watches to him losing it--probably to John Cena--as WWE falls into its favorite pages of the standard playbook.

Obviously, it hasn't happened yet but I am dreading this.

Used to be, a world championship changing hands was an event. And it still is, technically, but with each "Hardcore Title" cash-in for years on end, that is diminished.

Reactions: mblonde09

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Here are other news I just found:

- WWE officials reportedly came close to putting the WHC on Dolph Ziggler. Ziggler almost went over Sheamus at WWE's Over the Limit pay-per-view and was discussed as the potential winner at No Way Out.

Source: outofmyass.com
um, how was Ziggler close to winning the WHC at OTL when he wasnt in the WHC match???:confused:

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Here are other news I just found:

- WWE officials reportedly came close to putting the WHC on Dolph Ziggler. Ziggler almost went over Sheamus at WWE's Over the Limit pay-per-view and was discussed as the potential winner at No Way Out.

Source: outofmyass.com
Who is "Outo FM Yass?" Is that a radio station's site? I've never heard of them.

·
Plotting time travel mission.
8,641 Posts
Ugh. So lame. So tired. So predictable. So unworthy. Edge-Cena was a special case, it was the inaugural cash-in, it established Edge's "Ultimate Opportunist" persona to a tee, it was, in that instance, the proper way to conclude Cena's marathon reign.

Punk's reign 6-1/2 years later? Not so much. All of that hard work, all of that time, and in the end, we'll have another cowardly chickenshit heel get a reign where he's the "undeserved" champion and we can all just set our watches to him losing it--probably to John Cena--as WWE falls into its favorite pages of the standard playbook.

Obviously, it hasn't happened yet but I am dreading this.

Used to be, a world championship changing hands was an event. And it still is, technically, but with each "Hardcore Title" cash-in for years on end, that is diminished.
Punk has been protected pretty much for months now and that is fine, but I feel WWE would rather Punk lose the title in this cheap fashion, than a well established rivalry. But either way Punk is not the main focus of RAW nor does he main event PPVs or RAW, so they don't invest as much into his storyline than they do with Cena storylines. That is why I feel his reign won't end in a big shocking way.

The heel that beats Punk will probably go an have a big feud with Cena, main eventing PPVs after Summerslam or something.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Even though this is probably not true, they should have. Punk, who is like one of my favorite wrestlers has had a long reign and I really thought this AJ thing was just a mind game to get Bryan the WWE title. Now it's just status quo.

·
Banned
4,010 Posts
Even though this is probably not true, they should have. Punk, who is like one of my favorite wrestlers has had a long reign and I really thought this AJ thing was just a mind game to get Bryan the WWE title. Now it's just status quo.
Agreed. WWE is trying to stretch this AJ chooses storyline out too far now. They should have pulled the trigger last night and went in 1 direction. That would have kept the story going forward, now we have to spend the next month with AJ waffling between (at least) Punk and Kane (I hope they include Bryan but the ending to last nights match has me worried). Unless AJ makes a choice on a Raw or Smackdown headed toward MITB then we went from a great forwardly moving storyline into a "holding pattern" for the next month. Stupid.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Is Barrett still due to return by then?, he seems a lock for that spot.
Apparently, he isn't due to return till August, way past MITB.

Then again, we could see Edge vs Kennedy Part 2, where the MITB winner gets in a feud with Barrett and loses the briefcase.

·
Banned
4,921 Posts
Terrible decision by not having D-Bry go over. Fourth straight PPV where the wrong guy went over in a Goatface match.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts