Wrestling Forum banner
1041 - 1060 of 1197 Posts

·
Registered
Resident Centrist
7,452 Posts
Triple H's vision with NXT did better with the ratings though.

Besides, the likes of Tommaso Ciampa, Adam Cole, Johnny Gargano, Finn Balor, Malakai Black, Velveteen Dream, Pete Dunne, Ricochet, Kyle O'Reilly, Roderick Strong, Bobby Fish, Matt Riddle, and Keith Lee helped carry the show over the last 3-4 years whenever they were around.
NXT 2.0 has been going for just over a month, we can't say whether or not it's a failure or will be worse off than Triple H's NXT until it has been around for at least 6 months to a year, it's impossible to already call it a failure when it has barely taken off. And while NXT had good ratings at the stary of the war with AEW they were regularly getting in the 500k area under Triple H.

Triple H's NXT isn't objectively better nor is it the other way around, it's all purely preference.

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
Ratings aren't the best but I'm probably having more fun the last 5 weeks with NXT 2.0 than I've had with any wrestling in years. NXT from 2017-up to the reboot bored the absolute shit out of me, it was a brand for years focused on workrate and appealing to people that want to see long matches, pushing guys who can't cut promos and didn't have characters. They had some bright spots there, Kross/Lee/Priest were the best guys out of NXT during that time, but outside of them there just wasn't much I enjoyed. Triple H just wasn't able to create characters, he created a show full of "good wrestlers" but to me that's fucking boring, but without complex and larger than life characters a wrestling show sucks.

I hope it continues the way it's going, they managed to get me to like NXT, which was damn near impossible for years.
You mentioned Kross. Do you think Kross would worked well with this "new" NXT? I wonder what the ratings would be if he(and Scarlett) were still there.

·
Registered
Resident Centrist
7,452 Posts
You mentioned Kross. Do you think Kross would worked well with this "new" NXT? I wonder what the ratings would be if he(and Scarlett) were still there.
I'm not sure to be honest, Kross is one of those guys who can adapt to pretty much any situation, I feel his character was probably more suited to the older style of NXT, but I've got no doubt they could easily transition him to 2.0 if he ever decided to come back.

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts
Starting to think the new rebrand is doing way more harm than good! It's like younger fans don't care about all of these new characters or the overly sexual nature of some aspects of the show!
I still feel it's too early to tell. Stuff like this doesn't happen overnight for better or worse. These ratings aren't setting the world on fire but they're also still in the range NXT has done before. In 4-6 months we can say more definitively I think. Still... it's clear NXT is back to being a straight developmental show and they've alienated their core base at the same time.

It's going to take time to see if these new wrestlers get over or not like Meltzer said.

Probably doesn't help that AEW is a real alternative with a (usually) much better show now. Part of NXT's luster was that it was an alternative to the main roster stuff and didn't have Vince fingerprints all over it. Who needs NXT now when AEW is there and taking some of the main guys people enjoyed from NXT anyways? I'll be surprised if Johnny Gargano stays, I think he's either off to AEW or maybe NJPW Strong. Dude's been a fixture of the show forever and liked by their fanbase. idk if the NXT audience wants to watch a show with the Toxic Attraction types nearly killing themselves with a suicide dive cause they're so green.

Even though I personally enjoy the NXT shows they're very main roster WWE with a mix of early 90s WWF. IMO they do stuff like vignettes and character work better tho. I liked the Gacy promo and the Kyle/Von Wagner thing. Probably Jeremy Borash's work. We even had another "can they coexist?!" angle last night.

·
Custom User Title
7,057 Posts
I think its been roughly a month or so since the rebrand and it's painfully clear that people just aren't interested in NXT 2.0. The massive oversexualization of the women's division and storylines, incredibly weak new characters, and massive regression on focusing on the in ring product is driving people away.

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts
I think its been roughly a month or so since the rebrand and it's painfully clear that people just aren't interested in NXT 2.0. The oversexualization, incredibly weak character work, and massive regression on focusing on the in ring product is driving people away.
You may be right. I'm willing to admit if I'm wrong lol. Just historically these massive types of changes/downgrades in quality take time to reflect in business or ratings. Who knows tho, I'm far from some expert.

edit: another thing

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I think its been roughly a month or so since the rebrand and it's painfully clear that people just aren't interested in NXT 2.0. The oversexualization, incredibly weak character work, and massive regression on focusing on the in ring product is driving people away.
Of course people won't tune in a show that barely has any wrestling. If people want a show only with characters and with no (good) wrestling they watch some tv series or movies.

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
As I predicted they’d go down every week. I think they can still get a bit lower but I doubt they go under 500k. They may even see a slight uptick with H Havoc. But this is not a good show. Most of the performers are not worthy of being on a regular mainstream cable tv show. The only reason NXT hung around the 800k mark was because of the wrestling. The incredible athletic wrestlers with some light storytelling. But this is just a mess. It’s Vince grooming a bunch of big guys, most with 2 left feet and no charisma for his traveling circus with some light wrestling/6 minute matches with the same moves over and over. I cannot imagine this is what USA signed up for.

·
Currently lying down wearing a blue suit
17,344 Posts
Gee, it’s almost like the core fanbase was actually happy with the consistent great wrestling that they showcased on the show over the past few years, and that they pissed off a good portion of those fans by taking the good wrestling away from them with a downgraded revamp that few of those folks asked for.

·
Registered
Resident Centrist
7,452 Posts
Not a great number with them going down but it's funny watching the usual concern trolls come in here and go "TOLD YOU SO!! IT'S ALREADY A FAILURE!! HAHA THIS SHOW SUCKS I WAS RIGHT!!" They act as if 6 weeks is enough to determine if the show is a failure or not.

The reality is the ratings are going to go down for a bit, I could see them dropping to the late 500k mark at the most but people here are too narrow minded to look to the long term plan, they want it all now.

I reckon it'll rise again soon enough once things have been in place for a few more months. But nobody here actually wants NXT to be successful let's be real, you'll pretend you do but you don't, you want it to fail.

·
Custom User Title
7,057 Posts
Or maybe its the fact that the show really didn't need a revamp, on top of the fact that the show has pretty much utterly gone to shit as a result of this revamp? The primary focuses right now are on mostly the wrong people. Bron was pushed way harder than he should have right now. Mandy Rose as the central focus of the NXT Women's Division is fucking laughable considering Toxic Attraction as a group is crashing and burning right now.

And they are overloading the show with too many green talents at once, and gimmicks that are incredibly shallow. Fact of the matter is, its not bringing in younger viewers, because Vince, Kevin, Johnny, and Bruce have no fucking clue what is actually cool these days. The new "edgy" direction is driving off pretty much everyone. You might like it, but the ratings are reflecting otherwise. If they keep dropping like they are, I wouldn't be shocked if USA Network just ends up pulling out of the contract sooner rather than later.

And I don't see this as "building up WWE's future" considering all of them are going to be ruined anyways once they hit the main roster and Vince's tendencies to repackage people or bury them on a whim kicks in (undoing all of the work that this new NXT was SUPPOSED to put in).

·
PSYCH | SAIYANS
14,502 Posts
This time last year they didn’t meet the nba opening night and go head to head with the ring ceremony and mlb playoffs. The nba was off this time last year due to covid and baseball was also on a modified schedule. There’s no nba game next week with Kevin Durant, James Harden, Giannis, Steph, Lebron to compete with.

I watched nxt but I watched the ring ceremony first because it was the first one in 2 seasons with fans there to see the rings and banner

·
Currently lying down wearing a blue suit
17,344 Posts
Not a great number with them going down but it's funny watching the usual concern trolls come in here and go "TOLD YOU SO!! IT'S ALREADY A FAILURE!! HAHA THIS SHOW SUCKS I WAS RIGHT!!" They act as if 6 weeks is enough to determine if the show is a failure or not.

The reality is the ratings are going to go down for a bit, I could see them dropping to the late 500k mark at the most but people here are too narrow minded to look to the long term plan, they want it all now.

I reckon it'll rise again soon enough once things have been in place for a few more months. But nobody here actually wants NXT to be successful let's be real, you'll pretend you do but you don't, you want it to fail.
Dude, I actually LOVED this show since I started watching it in December 2017.

My first 2 main-events during that time were Aleister Black vs Adam Cole and Tyler Bate vs Pete Dunne.

BOTH of those matches were really solid (ESPECIALLY the latter which was great for a couple of guys who were both under 25 years old at the time).

NXT was pretty much exactly what I wanted out of a wrestling product.

The workrate itself was consistently pretty damn good.

The matches were generally longer, but exciting.

The characters were mostly booked really well, and they were also usually over too.

The crowds (pre-pandemic) were mostly hot for the show.

The most pushed male acts were generally great workers, and they USUALLY put on the best matches too.

The storylines usually either made sense, were fun, had plenty of continuity, or a combination of these three factors.

The women were mostly talented (and some of them were really hot appearance-wise too).

The TakeOver ppvs were usually pretty good.

Dude, I WANTED this show to succeed, and I sincerely believed that NXT from mid September 2019 through early September 2021 deserved to have AT LEAST 900+ K viewers because their episodes were consistently pretty good.

Unfortunately, the mediocre revamp has quickly turned into yet another main-roster show that wants to quickly showcase a lot of green acts who probably shouldn't be on national TV this soon. It's NOT wise trying to shove every new guy on TV, and to introduce them all at once because it's alienating plenty of folks among the core audience.

I ACTUALLY went out of my way to watch NXT live on the WWE Network WHILE I was still on campus late at night in more than 1 occasion (an hour before I had to attend a late-night review session for an upcoming exam during a tough Fall 2018 semester) because I was THAT excited with the product. I couldn't even wait later once I got home from school to watch NXT.

These are 2 AWESOME matches that I was blessed to see while I was chilling in school (before those late-night review sessions):

Those matches were just awesome, and those are just 2 examples too.

3 years later, and I wouldn't even care much if I missed watching NXT 2.0 if I happened to not be home on Tuesday nights.

The difference in quality between now and 2018 is absolutely dramatic. The sooner Vince and Bruce bail on NXT 2.0, the better because they've managed to kill my love for this show.

·
PSYCH | SAIYANS
14,502 Posts
I don’t know about Kross. I think he could have pulled off the impact character. But I’m pretty sure Scarlett would have excelled and been used more than the old version used her

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
I cannot agree with @DammitChrist. I used to enjoy NXT a lot when it had the likes of Bray Wyatt, Leo Kruger, Corey Graves, Nakamura, Asuka and Paige. But in the last few years the show has clearly lacked, in my opinion, the kind of larger than life characters and defined gimmicks that makes me love wrestling, with very few exceptions like Cameron Grimes or Ember Moon. I'm sorry but I just cannot be interested in watching a brand carried by guys like Gargano or Cole. And while I'd understand that NXT is its own thing and it doesn't need to cater to me, the fact is that NXT is WWE's development brand. Hence, focus should be put on developing talent that can be successful on the main roster. Which means NXT shouldn't be a indy show where cruiserweights do their thing and everything is about workrate. It should be important to showcase wrestlers with the right aura/presence and help them develop a personality, a character, a look and/or a gimmick so they are appealing when they're called up. And while it's still trying to find its feet and I don't think changing the colours of the show was necessary, I appreciate this new approach.

1041 - 1060 of 1197 Posts