Wrestling Forum banner
1021 - 1040 of 1043 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I don't think Mandy is the problem. Her group is whatever, but she's had a full career resurgence in 3 weeks. That's amazing. The problem is Raquel is a horrible champion and so is Ciampa. Dakota should've beaten Raquel and hopefully Rex squashes Ciampa at Halloween Havoc.

I think the show overall is really good, but women viewers are discouraged by a bad champion and Io being used only to keep mediocre people like Raquel and Zoey relevant. Having Raquel retain is the biggest mistake they've made in recent memory.
I'm sort of ambivalent on Raquel, though think she would work MUCH better as a monster-heel, given her size: making her a face was a miscalculation. And Ciampa's probably not going to be champion much longer anyways, so we'll see how well Rex does if he gets in that spot. (BTW, I vaguely agree that Ciampa isn't the most compelling character, but think that Gargano is a tremendous worker who has shown a LOT of personality since The Way became a thing. He's certainly stayed too long in NXT, though.)

I was mixed on the first three weeks of NXT 2.0, but quite enjoyed the episode the other night: it was paced well, some of the new characters seem to be getting over somewhat (if only ironically in Tony D'Angelo's case), and there was some good in-ring.

Anyways, it was brought to my attention that NXT was on at the same time as the Yankees/Red Sox (two HUGE markets) wild-card game the other night, so we'll see if the NXT ratings bounce back a bit next week, or continue their downward trajectory.

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
17,159 Posts
They REALLY gotta find a way to get that demo up. The overalls viewership is not as big of a deal right now. They're gonna end up getting cancelled and moved back to the WWE Network. Just advertise a big name to appear on the show for a couple weeks its not that hard.

·
The EST of NXT
The LegitEST BOSS
35,244 Posts
They REALLY gotta find a way to get that demo up. The overalls viewership is not as big of a deal right now. They're gonna end up getting cancelled and moved back to the WWE Network. Just advertise a big name to appear on the show for a couple weeks its not that hard.
That's just a bandaid, not a long term solution. Like I said, Sasha Banks vs. Io still holds the viewership record here, and that match was in July 2020. It did nothing to keep people watching every week, because Sasha obviously wouldn't be back.

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
17,159 Posts
That's just a bandaid, not a long term solution. Like I said, Sasha Banks vs. Io still holds the viewership record here, and that match was in July 2020. It did nothing to keep people watching every week, because Sasha obviously wouldn't be back.
A long term bandaid is what’s needed until they can figure it out. Just trade one of the bigger stars down there for the draft and get the number up for the network then pivot and try to right the ship. Imagine if they dropped under a .10 that would be a disaster.

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
NXT was a small audience to begin with, but it was an audience. Now they are turning off the old NXT fans and the people who watch the main roster don't give a shit about this 2.0. I love watching Vince and Dunn fail after thinking HHH was the problem and that applying their "sports entertainment" mentality could fix it.

·
Custom User Title
7,007 Posts
I think the actual viewership record is held by either Rhea/Becky, or Io/Raquel, if we are going by the USA Network history. That being said, Io carried NXT to some of its strongest viewership. I don't think its a coincidence that viewership started to fall once Raquel won the title. And while NXT 2.0 had a small bump at first, they are already back to where they were before the rebrand, if not worse.

I think a combination of Raquel still being champion, and them trying to push Toxic Attraction as the centerpiece of the division is backfiring badly. I am sure there are SOME people out there interested in the feud, but casual viewers have been told for the past 4-5 years that Mandy is a complete jobber. And when you have Gigi and Jacy losing all of their tag matches, that's a bad look as well. Doesn't do them any favors that they are portrayed as nothing more than "generic hot mean girl group" version 37. And then you have Raquel where the only notable parts of her reign is exposing that she is a black hole of charisma, and also her idiot boyfriend (Braun) has caused her to become somewhat disliked backstage among her peers.

·
The EST of NXT
The LegitEST BOSS
35,244 Posts
I think the actual viewership record is held by either Rhea/Becky, or Io/Raquel, if we are going by the USA Network history. That being said, Io carried NXT to some of its strongest viewership. I don't think its a coincidence that viewership started to fall once Raquel won the title. And while NXT 2.0 had a small bump at first, they are already back to where they were before the rebrand, if not worse.
Becky vs Rhea had an advertised full scale main roster invasion that night, which saw a 922k overall viewership. Sasha by herself did 900k with Io. The Io vs Raquel episode on Wrestlemania weekend did 768k overall, while the Sasha vs Io episode did 792k, and that experienced massive drops from everything not involving her.

I think a combination of Raquel still being champion, and them trying to push Toxic Attraction as the centerpiece of the division is backfiring badly. I am sure there are SOME people out there interested in the feud, but casual viewers have been told for the past 4-5 years that Mandy is a complete jobber. And when you have Gigi and Jacy losing all of their tag matches, that's a bad look as well. Doesn't do them any favors that they are portrayed as nothing more than "generic hot mean girl group" version 37. And then you have Raquel where the only notable parts of her reign is exposing that she is a black hole of charisma, and also her idiot boyfriend (Braun) has caused her to become somewhat disliked backstage among her peers.
I don't care for the other girls, but Mandy is doing the best work of her career. We agree that Raquel being champion is a disaster though.

·
Custom User Title
7,007 Posts
"Best work of her career" still isn't good enough considering its a shitty divas era gimmick, and its not bringing in viewers.

People need to come to the realization that Mandy is not interesting to the vast majority of fans who are not spending the majority of their time online. Nothing about Toxic Attraction is must see unless all you care about are hot women cutting mean girl level promos, with average to below average ring work.

And I am sure someone will say "WELL THIS IS A DEVELOPMENTAL SHOW" in which case, Mandy SHOULDN'T be a primary focus at all. And women like Sarray, Kacy, Kayden should be, as they could all use some fleshing out in one facet or another.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
"Best work of her career" still isn't good enough considering its a shitty divas era gimmick, and its not bringing in viewers.

People need to come to the realization that Mandy is not interesting to the vast majority of fans who are not spending the majority of their time online. Nothing about Toxic Attraction is must see unless all you care about are hot women cutting mean girl level promos, with average to below average ring work.

And I am sure someone will say "WELL THIS IS A DEVELOPMENTAL SHOW" in which case, Mandy SHOULDN'T be a primary focus at all. And women like Sarray, Kacy, Kayden should be, as they could all use some fleshing out in one facet or another.

That's true. I mean back when they were a developmental show back in the 4 HW-era they had Charlotte as the champion and the primary focus, but they were also building and fleshing out the characters of people like Sasha Banks, Bayley & Becky Lynch as well as returnees such as Emma(who was no longer the goofy dancer but a jaded and bitter veteran after her stint on the main roster) and newcomers such as Dana Brooke, Alexa Bliss and Carmella.

The only other storyline with the women right now is the tag titles and even that's a bit messy with Io & Zoey coming to Raquel's aid to fend off Toxic Attraction, indicating that feud isn't done, but then you have Persia & Indi confronting and taking aim at Io & Zoey as well.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Again poor ratings and I don't it will go higher.

It is the better show as rampage but WWE failed again to tell what exactly it is.

Still enjoying it and hope it will stay.

·
Registered
Resident Centrist
6,507 Posts
Ratings aren't the best but I'm probably having more fun the last 5 weeks with NXT 2.0 than I've had with any wrestling in years. NXT from 2017-up to the reboot bored the absolute shit out of me, it was a brand for years focused on workrate and appealing to people that want to see long matches, pushing guys who can't cut promos and didn't have characters. They had some bright spots there, Kross/Lee/Priest were the best guys out of NXT during that time, but outside of them there just wasn't much I enjoyed. Triple H just wasn't able to create characters, he created a show full of "good wrestlers" but to me that's fucking boring, but without complex and larger than life characters a wrestling show sucks.

I hope it continues the way it's going, they managed to get me to like NXT, which was damn near impossible for years.

·
Currently lying down wearing a blue suit
16,374 Posts
Ratings aren't the best but I'm probably having more fun the last 5 weeks with NXT 2.0 than I've had with any wrestling in years. NXT from 2017-up to the reboot bored the absolute shit out of me, it was a brand for years focused on workrate and appealing to people that want to see long matches, pushing guys who can't cut promos and didn't have characters. They had some bright spots there, Kross/Lee/Priest were the best guys out of NXT during that time, but outside of them there just wasn't much I enjoyed. Triple H just wasn't able to create characters, he created a show full of "good wrestlers" but to me that's fucking boring, but without complex and larger than life characters a wrestling show sucks.

I hope it continues the way it's going, they managed to get me to like NXT, which was damn near impossible for years.
Triple H's vision with NXT did better with the ratings though.

Besides, the likes of Tommaso Ciampa, Adam Cole, Johnny Gargano, Finn Balor, Malakai Black, Velveteen Dream, Pete Dunne, Ricochet, Kyle O'Reilly, Roderick Strong, Bobby Fish, Matt Riddle, and Keith Lee helped carry the show over the last 3-4 years whenever they were around.

1021 - 1040 of 1043 Posts