Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perhaps this is a superficial resemblance, but there appears in some respects to be much about the current WWE product that is reminiscent of WCW 2000. Not of the Russo or Sullivan booking per say, but of WCW's belated realization that they had almost completely played out the star value of their name roster and had neglected to build a successor generation of stars.

Thus in the summer 2000, we had the sudden, non-organic push of Mike Sanders, Chuck Palumbo, Mark Jindrak, Sean O'Haire, and others. And it was done without a gradual rise to the top. Suddenly Lex Luger was losing to Shane Douglas, General Rection, and others. Suddenly Palumbo and O'Haire were defeating Dallas Page & Kevin Nash.

Flash forward 16 years later, and we have a mass influx of NXT talent - Cass, Enzo, Vaudevillians, Crews, and Corbin. And they all have to be built up, and quickly to have an impact.

Similar situation?

·
Registered
22,856 Posts
To me, I don’t want to buy that. If you said that about 2015, I’d agree with you. But since Mania, the show has been steadily improving. It still has many flaws but I look at the show now and I say it’s improving and has gotten considerably better than what we saw months ago.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
If Cena quits the promotion at Bash @ The Beach, the WWE won't crater.

The core problem was that Hogan didn't stick with it long enough to get guys off the ground. Didn't feel it was his job to job himself out constantly, and without him there was no main event draw and the crowds collapsed.

The booking of Russo? Nothing was going to stop that because it always would have run up against the problem of Hogan. Once Hogan took his ball and went home, WCW was toast. He made them, and he unmade them. Hulk Hogan has been, and always will be the biggest draw this industry ever saw. He made not only one mainline promotion, but two, and killed the second by leaving.

Either way, the WWE pretty much owns every major star atm. They aren't going to have any problems at all with this 'New Era' as there isn't any current competition worth two nickels.

·
Banned
10,724 Posts
Not really. Their were many vets backstage not wanting to lose their spot. Unlike Wcw where it was dependant on Hogan. Wwe has prooven their is life after Cena. Just like their was with Rock and Austin. Wwe always thrives. Wwe doesn't need Cena. But Cena needs Wwe. Weve seen potential new stars in Rollins, Owens, Wyatt, Reigns etc. So I dont think its the same. While theirs similarities. Wwe has a lot more going for it. If anything Wwe 2016 is more comparable to Wwe 1995.

·
Registered
766 Posts
WWE has had awful WCW booking for years now.

but i do think we need to get a lot of jobbers off this roster, so the new talent isn't to bad of a idea

·
Banned
10,724 Posts
WWE has had awful WCW booking for years now.

but i do think we need to get a lot of jobbers off this roster, so the new talent isn't to bad of a idea
You need the jobbers to make the top guys look good.

·
Banned
6,190 Posts
You need the jobbers to make the top guys look good.
I don't necessarily subscribe to that notion. Not for televised shows at least.
It's like...you beat Fandango. So fucking what? Everyone does.
Squashing a jobber doesn't make anybody look good on TV. When a jobber comes on my screen, it becomes completely predictable and I tune out. Enhancement talents should pick up wins every once in a while if they're going to be put in the public eye. Otherwise, a win over them does nothing.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I don't necessarily subscribe to that notion. Not for televised shows at least.
It's like...you beat Fandango. So fucking what? Everyone does.
Squashing a jobber doesn't make anybody look good on TV. When a jobber comes on my screen, it becomes completely predictable and I tune out. Enhancement talents should pick up wins every once in a while if they're going to be put in the public eye. Otherwise, a win over them does nothing.
totally Apollo Crews beating Stardust, Tyler Breeze and Heath Slater means nothing since they have jobbed everyone else.

·
The Last Dragon
14,488 Posts
totally Apollo Crews beating Stardust, Tyler Breeze and Heath Slater means nothing since they have jobbed everyone else.
To make it even worse it means nothing in a story, because there's none and it adds nothing to his character, because WWE forgot to give him an ounce of it before calling him up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts