Wrestling Forum banner

61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
1998-april 2001 was an outlier over the past 28 years though not the norm. Boom periods only last a certain length of time as UFC have shown.

There is reason wwe share price was ~$7-8 in 2012 when wwe announced mania 28 had done record business whereas it's $37-38 now. During the ppv model mania did great while rumble and Summerslam did well but other shows were doing 150-200k whereas today wwe has 1.5 million paid average during slow ppv months like September/October and December. They have gone from $15 million in ppv revenue during non mania quarters to $50 million today in non mania quarters.

2010 total ppv revenue for the company was $70 million, last year the network/ppv segment generated $197 million
I know comparing the WWE of today to the boom years is comparing apples and oranges due to the roster and the climate, but it still stands. If we wants to use the entertainment metric then that is how other genres compare their industries.

For example, the music business with streaming and the new rules they had to incorporate for ranking records as gold, platinum, and diamond. Newer fans like to compare sales today to that of yesteryear and it really shouldn't be the same. It is the same free and subscription based model that had to be used because of lack of actual sales in comparison to the past.

Cardi B I will use as an example. She went gold rather quickly on Friday of last week when she dropped her album. This on the surface seems quite the feat and had some new fans comparing her to legends like Lauryn Hill. The reality is there really isn't a fair comparison because during Lauryn's hey day people actually had to go out to the stores and physically buy the album. At the store when people would pre-listen that would not count to the total of the sales, but in today's market it does get counted when someone previews as a stream.

This is from Forbes Magazine.
"This is from Forbes magazine. “Bodak Yellow,” which topped the Billboard Hot 100 last September and is certified 5x Multi-Platinum (5 million units) by the RIAA. As Chart Data recently noted, 10 track units equal one album sale, which means Invasion of Privacy has moved 500,000 units on the strength of “Bodak Yellow” alone, enough to earn a Gold certification".

Now you might say what does this have to do with what I was saying about comparing to boom periods. In 1996, the hip hop genre was in a boom state with legends all dropping classics that year. So because that was not a norm it still doesn't eliminate that it happened.

The rule the artists know is that tangible sales are superior to tangible streams. . The Score sold more than 17mil worldwide...The Miseducation of sold 20mil worldwide at $15 a pop. Cardi B's number are inferior no matter how you slice it.

Do you remember when the WWE did all those cuts with workers and even stuff like pyro and less ppv shows because they said it was to cover costs from running The Network?

http://whatculture.com/wwe/8-potential-consequences-of-wwe-39-s-rumoured-budget-cuts?page=1

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2017/1127/634469/backstage-news-on-why-wwe-is-cutting-down-the-number-of-pay-per/

http://www.mandatory.com/wrestlezone/news/867989-wwe-reportedly-looking-to-cut-costs-in-an-attempt-to-boost-2017-profits-updates-on-brand-specific-ppvs-uk-expansion-pyro-more#/slide/1

As I said the WWE accountants are most likely suggesting things to create a positive outlook for shareholders to not view The Network as a failure. Back to my music comparison. WWE giving away ppv shows to potential future subscribers and deals that some here are saying WWE hands out is not the same as the WWE having house shows being bought and ppv shows being purchased upwards to $60 a show and so on.

WWE are giving away for example this month 2 ppv shows to people who may turn out to be subscribers after the trial is up. They are doing this to also increase the stream numbers in view counts as well.

As some have stated let's wait and see when the WWE stops giving away shows and time periods are stopped for trails how well the numbers really are in sustaining.

There is a reason why they have the conference calls and give Mania away the same weekend. People were willing to pay for WM at escalated prices, but now they are having problems getting record numbers without gimmicks at the low cost of $10US?

A worldwide organization that the technology trumps the past with ppv households and availability and closed circuit television at arenas? This is why I compared the boom periods to now. You put that WWF with today's financial backing and structure it would blow it out of the water.

·
I know I'm dope, but don't wet that.
11,401 Posts
That's cool but sometimes I think WWE be gassing themselves with stats and stuff.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
is it any wonder why the Roman ERA is unstoppable in VKM's eyes??

come on guys..

do NOT be surprised at the next payroll release when you see Roman either making as much if not more than one John Cena (we're talking at least $6-7mil a year)

note: this is not talk about wether or not he deserves it/etc.. all VKM $ee$ is money and let's be brutally honest.. ever since Roman has been pushed (undeservedly so in my eyes at the time back then) to WM Main Event status

WWE has set record revenue year after year..

truly, this is the Roman ERA

·
Registered
75 Posts
WWE Network is fucking amazing and worth the price. The old school library brings so many tears to my eyes, it's like I'm a kid again, reliving the best times in wrestling. I watch the newer stuff here and there, but, most of my time is devoted to when wrestling was good.
Almost everything what networks offers is available on internet for free...

·
You need to be yourself, you can't be no-one else.
7,174 Posts
bit of a nonsense statement when they kept telling people that the network was free to new subscribers, of course the numbers are going to shoot up if its free for mania, Im sure people picked up the network who arnt even big fans of wrestling. Probably just a case of "well its free, Ill just get it to see what it is" and never look at it again.

I think the network is priced fairly even though us UK fans actually pay more for it because £9.99 is more than $9.99 (we pay just over $14 for it in your money) which is bollocks but I personally dont have the time to watch old wrestling shows etc and mania is the only show every year I want to watch so I wont be getting it again after this month is up and Im sure a lot of other people will do the same, so come early may those numbers will tank again.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Well, Wrestlemania 34's card was stacked like no card in recent memory. What's more, it surpassed expectations for the most part.

I'd put the increase down to Rousey, Bryan and the possibility of Taker returning.
I'd like to say that AJ/Nakamura brought people in, but it seems unlikely, given the audience and the poor build.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Agree that the WWE Network is amazing value, and so packed with content - archive and newly produced - that's just impossible to watch everything.

I'd say that it's better value than a service like Netflix because Netflix might have more hours of content, but I'm only interested in maybe 50%. WWE Network's content - classic PPVs, old RAW/SmackDown episodes, WCW, NXT, new PPVs, additionla Network Specials, WWE 24 specials, interviews, Ride Along - it's just a LOT of really good content.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Well, Wrestlemania 34's card was stacked like no card in recent memory. What's more, it surpassed expectations for the most part.

I'd put the increase down to Rousey, Bryan and the possibility of Taker returning.
I'd like to say that AJ/Nakamura brought people in, but it seems unlikely, given the audience and the poor build.
+rep for some refreshing real talk out here

nearly 99% of posts you'll see how wm 34 is awful/worst ever/etc etc but let's be real

the hype alone on Ronda probably (most likely) led to the surge in network subscribers..

and let's even be more realistic, Ronda brought in mainstream subscribers aka people who will probably just ride their subs instead of goin thru the trouble of cancelling it

so props on you.. you are wise

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
I'm sure there's a lot of fluff in those numbers but 2.124 million subscribers, free or paid, is pretty tremendous and getting 1.8 million subscribers to even pay a 1$ is pretty excellent too. I could've sworn Vince (or some executive) said if the WWE Network can reach 2 million subscribers it will change the game for WWE.

I'm sure it'll dip down but if they can keep around 1.75 million paid subscribers that wouldn't be too shabby. :bjpenn

By the way, the Network is amazing and worth every penny. So much great content on there.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Almost everything what networks offers is available on internet for free...
The Network is a good deal, but you're right a lot of it is on the internet(I already said too much in another post). However, the mainstream audience don't know or care to go search to find it though.

The network is awesome and only ignorant people will argue against it. It's hard to get more value for your money than what they are offering, wrestling wise.
No doubt, I won't ever tell people the WWE is ripping them off with the Network. As I said in comparison to the past the Network is a steal.

I think it was the best Mania since the last time they went to New Orleans.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
This just means Daniel Bryan is the biggest draw in history. Before he was cleared they were looking at another subpar wrestlemania. Now look at them subs..

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
This just means Daniel Bryan is the biggest draw in history. Before he was cleared they were looking at another subpar wrestlemania. Now look at them subs..

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
While I do think Daniel Bryan is a big star, he's a big star within the WWE bubble.

I think the increase in subs are due to WrestleMania being the draw and it being free for new subscribers as well as all the other previous deals for subscriptions.

Maybe Bryan helped a fraction in terms of sub increase but the majority I think are for the reasons above. WM outdraws any current talent.

·
Registered
636 Posts
If it's 1.8 or 2 million, that's still a good increase from April 2017 - 9% at least. I don't think that figure translates to a 9% increase in revenue though as they are discounting the price heavily. Will be interesting to see how much clear profit the Network is actually making when the figures are released.

Whatever, still a positive result for WWE. the big challeng is hanging on to them between now and Summerslam

(I don't see how you can call someone who accesses the Network for free a "subscriber". In any normal English usage, subscribing to something means paying in return for a service/product)

61 - 80 of 91 Posts