Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's obvious that if you watch Raw or Smackdown, you can easily tell that WWE is a USA company because of many things we see(such as them always mentioning the armed forces,and making fun of a country like canada,england ect. whenever they're in it). What I'm wondering is why WWE is doing so bad internationally? They seem to pay little attention to anything that happens outside of USA.

A site I went to showed ratings for WWE and TNA in the UK. TNA had way more viewers. Reason was because way more people get the channel that TNA is on compared to WWE. Why would a multimillion dollar company not be able to get a show on a network that the majority of people get?

And Canada is a better example. WWEs agreement with the station that airs Raw is that the channel is not allowed to pre-empt RAW.Just a few months later, they started having a 15 min delay for every single episode of monday night raw from that point on. Another example was during the commercial free Raw. That show took place in Canada. But I'm sure you can guess which country was the only country in the world that WWE didn't tell their network that the show would be commercial free....Obviously it was Canada. So for that whole episode we had to hear "Raw is live in canada and commercial free...except in canada"

So it really seems like WWE just doesn't seem to care that much about their international market, that's something that they really need to fix. Especially since when WWE comes to these international places, the fans love WWE more than in USA, so WWE should at least be trying harder in these markets that love WWE. They've basically done as much as they can marketing wise in the USA, but they just seemed to stop at USA.

·
Premium Member
19,291 Posts
How dare a company dating back many decades that was started by an American in America continue to mainly tour in America and market itself strict to Americans.

·
Ted the Moth
12,865 Posts
I quite agree actually. IMO, some of the most passionate WWE fans are indeed found overseas, coincidentally where WWE seems to care least about.

WWE programming being on Sky Sports might not be as bad as you claim, because while it may be that TNA are getting more from ratings being on Challenge, the contract with Sky Sports would more than make up for it money wise, SS being a premium channel package, and of course the Pay Per Views agreement they must have.

It would be in their best interest to care, tbh.

·
Registered
10,590 Posts
There some references I don't get all in particular the football and baseball ones.

Where I'm from no one watches either sport. The whole thing with CM Punk and Cena with Punk saying Cena is now the NY Yankees just went over my head.

·
Know Your Worth
10,729 Posts
Back in the late 90s the WWE would tour numerous international places like Kuwait, England, Germany, Canada, etc.

They seem to be sticking to just England, Canada, and Mexico these days

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
There some references I don't get all in particular the football and baseball ones.

Where I'm from no one watches either sport. The whole thing with CM Punk and Cena with Punk saying Cena is now the NY Yankees just went over my head.
How could you not get that? The yankees have been the most sucessful Baseball team ala cena. They win too often so it becomes fun to boo them.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How dare a company dating back many decades that was started by an American in America continue to mainly tour in America and market itself strict to Americans.
I'm not saying that they should stop marketing to USA,or market less to USA, I said they should market more to other countries.

The company is called WORLD wrestling entertainment. Meaning they should be focusing on their global markets. They'd make way more money too if they actually tried marketing themselves to big countries like canada and england. I've only seen WWE merchandise in a canadian store(not including video games or the 7/11 promotion) once or twice ever. And even then, it was last year and it was Cena,Orton and Undertaker shirts from 2004....

·
Premium Member
19,291 Posts
I'm not saying that they should stop marketing to USA,or market less to USA, I said they should market more to other countries.

The company is called WORLD wrestling entertainment. Meaning they should be focusing on their global markets. They'd make way more money too if they actually tried marketing themselves to big countries like canada and england. I've only seen WWE merchandise in a canadian store(not including video games or the 7/11 promotion) once or twice ever. And even then, it was last year and it was Cena,Orton and Undertaker shirts from 2004....
I understand and it seems like it would be a good idea, financially in the long run. But is there a definite demand for the WWE in these other countries, as far as merchandise goes? Like, do you think licensing deals with stores in European countries would pay off with large sales or would the merchandise sit on the shelves, without much demand? I know the tours overseas always show great results and mostly sellouts (I think?)

While it could pay off, perhaps the WWE is aware that maybe they could see poor sales, losing money overall. Does anyone know of the success in merchandise sales that the WWE does, while on European tours?

·
Ted the Moth
12,865 Posts
While it could pay off, perhaps the WWE is aware that maybe they could see poor sales, losing money overall. Does anyone know of the success in merchandise sales that the WWE does, while on European tours?
no official statistics, but I can speak from my experience and I think they do okay. huge queues, very busy merch stands. then there's the stuff from wweeuroshop and indeed, wweshop shipping to europe.

see what i'm afraid will happen is this: in the long run if WWE keep ignoring its foreigners, they'll start ignoring the WWE right back. and that would be a shame for such an eager fanbase.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not sure about the money they make. But when you see these SS and WM videos, there are many people from around the world who were willing to travel all the way there to see WWE. And WWE shows in Canada,England ect. are all sold out compared to no name cities in USA that I've never heard of until WWE went there, they can barely fill the arena.

Look at UFC. I know it's popularity is diff from WWE, but they went to Toronto for the first time ever,and the show sold out and people really wanted to see it. Ever since then,canadian media is really picking up on UFC alot more because UFC recognizes that Canada is a real important market.

·
1,973 Posts
Well first off, you don't really know what your talking about with the UK thing.
Wayyyy over half of our country have sky which is what WWE is shown on. The thing is Sky has rights to over 800 different channels.

They are not an american company. They are just a company, a global business, they have more fans in America, but obviously when they were established there and that is their biggest market.
You cannot say, "They don't care about the international market." haha, they are a massive global business, my grandparents now what WWE is, if I were to ask them, stop most people in the street and ask, 'do you know what WWE is?' I'm going to say most people do. Even outside of the USA, that in itself shows what a job they've done, they can do much better, even we can come up with ways that they can do better. But what business can't?

EDIT: And someone said they company are called WORLD wrestling entertainment, their not anymore, their name is WWE, just WWE. Seriously.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I never said that the WWE doesn't advertise itself, I'm saying that the amount of attention they put into other countries isn't really that great. TV show wise, the NHL and NBA each have more televised events outside of north america than the WWE does and the NHL and NBA are both north american leagues.

·
1,973 Posts
I never said that the WWE doesn't advertise itself, I'm saying that the amount of attention they put into other countries isn't really that great. TV show wise, the NHL and NBA each have more televised events outside of north america than the WWE does and the NHL and NBA are both north american leagues.
In the UK, the WWE's second biggest specific market, NBA and NHL aren't shown, we get NFL and WWE, mainly.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Well first off, you don't really know what your talking about with the UK thing.
Wayyyy over half of our country have sky which is what WWE is shown on. The thing is Sky has rights to over 800 different channels.

They are not an american company. They are just a company, a global business, they have more fans in America, but obviously when they were established there and that is their biggest market.
You cannot say, "They don't care about the international market." haha, they are a massive global business, my grandparents now what WWE is, if I were to ask them, stop most people in the street and ask, 'do you know what WWE is?' I'm going to say most people do. Even outside of the USA, that in itself shows what a job they've done, they can do much better, even we can come up with ways that they can do better. But what business can't?

EDIT: And someone said they company are called WORLD wrestling entertainment, their not anymore, their name is WWE, just WWE. Seriously.
Over half of the country may have some form of cable but the vast majority do not have Sky Sports, which is an extra bundle and costs £30 extra a month. I don't have any cable, just freeview so watch everything online. So the actually have very limited exposure. Adding to this there is literally NO advertisements on sky sports for the shows. My brother has the channels and I have never seen an advert for the show, except 5minutes before a Raw starts or summit. I dunno if they still have shows on Sky1 like back in early 2000s but their contract severely limits the number of people who can watch the show.

In my experience, kids know what WWE is. Adults know what WWF is and have no idea what WWE is. I was on the tube going to the Smackdown in O2 during their latest tour and there was a kid with a championship belt chatting to some guy who asked about it. The guy was going on about the WWF ( he was about 25) and the kid kept correcting him. Even then I think the company has very limited exposure in this country.

I agree with OP in that they are America-centrist but then why wouldn't they be when the vast majority of their business is in the states? Its part of the WWE, being a part of Americana. It may call itself or see itself as a global brand but it is American and due to their business model that is where the big bucks lie. They would benefit from a decent international marketing division but it seems that they don't care. They visit the UK, Europe, Australia etc on such an infrequent basis (more often then late 90s early 00s) that they will sell-out no matter what. (saying that the Smackdown taping I went to was about quarter empty and the only reason I went was because the ticket was free)

·
1,973 Posts
I disagree, I knew ESPN showed them, but Sky Sports was brought up not ESPN.
But regardless whether you have Sky Sports on your sky package, you still get box office (PPV) advertisements through sky.

·
Wrestle Like It's 1999!
370 Posts
the WWE mentions the fans in the Uk nearly every PPV and have done for over 10 years, plus WCW used to constantly meet or even better RAWs rating in UK during the "Friday Night Wars" so maybe it has got to do with SS being an extra on top of the standard package. And really many people are "americanised" who doesn't know the Yankees, Patriots or other US sports teams like that!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts