Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
43,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been watching much of Raw and SD for the last couple of months because...uh...I don't want too.

However, I was amazed to find out earlier today that TLC 2019 is happening next Sunday, and absolutely no matches are announced for it.

Since October, we've had Hell in a Cell which, ideally, should be a show to feature major grudge matches that warrant using such an extreme gimmick (whether or not the matches they chose to put in the cell warranted the gimmick is another discussion), we've had one of the big Saudi Arabia Stadium events, and we had a big inter-brand war that was covered through a two show weekend in November.

And now here we are in the first week of December...and TLC is just next Sunday with ZERO (yes check the Wiki page, ZERO) matches announced. A week and a half away to the final PPV/special event of the year and there is no card to speak of.

I can extrapolate some matches that will happen based on what is being built up (Rusev/Lashley, Seth/Owens, etc) but the point still stands that WWE is going to be scrambling over the next 3 shows (2 Smackdowns, 1 Raw) to fill this card up with something, and I wouldn't be surprised if some matches were announced the day of the show.

Why is this happening? Because they are running too many damn shows! I've been complaining about the over-saturation of WWE for years now, but it just keeps getting worse and WWE has reached a point where even they seem to be struggling to manage it all.

They go hot and heavy into Hell in a Cell, then they have the Crown Jewel detour, and then they go hot and heavy into Survivor Series, and here they are scrambling around to throw another card together for December. And then when you take into account the live events, 3 hours Raws, and 2 hour Smackdowns to all build into or help set up those events, I have to ask at what point does it become too much?

Would it be so wrong to cut back on the number of major events? I mean coming right out of Survivor Series, wouldn't it be beneficial to start putting the pieces in place to build to the Rumble and Wrestlemania instead of cramming yet another show in the middle and having to rush build to that?

·
Aviary Bro Fist
14,047 Posts
I wish we could still rate threads 5 stars because you are damn right. They need to cut Raw down to 2 hours, cut out the glorified house shows, just dial back the content in general.

·
Registered
538 Posts
100% agree. Just in general there's a massive over-saturation of all things wrestling. I do love wrestling, but fuck if I'm struggling to keep up. I can only imagine how fans who are busier than me keep up. Between having to watch 4 different shows, the fucking youtube channels where (especially AEW) seem to further a lot of storylines, meaning you kinda need to keep up with them, and all the damn PPV's that's being thrown out, I'm feeling really stressed about being upto date for when I wanna watch the live PPV's (and I'm always a week or so behind on the shows/storylines). Raw needs to go down by an hour, and they need to go back to 1 PPV per month (and maybe the OCCASIONAL two PPV month for NXT to get one).

·
Illegitimate child of Robert 'Glorious' Roode
826 Posts
Yup. Oversaturated with overlong PPV's every 5 mins takes away anything that made them special in the past. I just dont believe WWE can write a good storyline that is capable of running more than one month

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I haven't been watching much of Raw and SD for the last couple of months because...uh...I don't want too.

However, I was amazed to find out earlier today that TLC 2019 is happening next Sunday, and absolutely no matches are announced for it.

Since October, we've had Hell in a Cell which, ideally, should be a show to feature major grudge matches that warrant using such an extreme gimmick (whether or not the matches they chose to put in the cell warranted the gimmick is another discussion), we've had one of the big Saudi Arabia Stadium events, and we had a big inter-brand war that was covered through a two show weekend in November.

And now here we are in the first week of December...and TLC is just next Sunday with ZERO (yes check the Wiki page, ZERO) matches announced. A week and a half away to the final PPV/special event of the year and there is no card to speak of.

I can extrapolate some matches that will happen based on what is being built up (Rusev/Lashley, Seth/Owens, etc) but the point still stands that WWE is going to be scrambling over the next 3 shows (2 Smackdowns, 1 Raw) to fill this card up with something, and I wouldn't be surprised if some matches were announced the day of the show.

Why is this happening? Because they are running too many damn shows! I've been complaining about the over-saturation of WWE for years now, but it just keeps getting worse and WWE has reached a point where even they seem to be struggling to manage it all.

They go hot and heavy into Hell in a Cell, then they have the Crown Jewel detour, and then they go hot and heavy into Survivor Series, and here they are scrambling around to throw another card together for December. And then when you take into account the live events, 3 hours Raws, and 2 hour Smackdowns to all build into or help set up those events, I have to ask at what point does it become too much?

Would it be so wrong to cut back on the number of major events? I mean coming right out of Survivor Series, wouldn't it be beneficial to start putting the pieces in place to build to the Rumble and Wrestlemania instead of cramming yet another show in the middle and having to rush build to that?
Sorry to be off topic but are you the same Triple G from the caws.ws forums?

·
Registered
11,391 Posts
You need one ppv a month because fans will cancel network that month if you don't, lose millions stock price drops. Live ppvs are driving network not any other content

I wouldn't have more than one a month though and make sure there is four weeks between shows

There was no need for Stomping grounds ppv so quickly after the Saudi show with similar matches. I would have dropped clash, put hiac in September so Saudi show was only one in October

But there have been similar level of ppvs going back to 1995. In 98 Judgment day took place three weeks after breakdown. Valentine's massacre took place 3 weeks after rumble in 99. In 2013 battleground took place three weeks after noc and hiac took place three weeks after battleground so three ppvs in six weeks during a time ppv was $40-50 and sll had same match maineventing ie Bryan vs Orton

·
glock lesnar
468 Posts
You're right OP, they really do need to trim the fat to avoid all of the scrambling to get to the next PPV/event/etc. I feel like an average build for a PPV should be maybe 4 weeks at least. You don't need shows like Fastlane and Stomping Grounds, axe them to have more time to strengthen build for other PPV's.

Fun fact: I was looking at the 2019 PPV schedule and not counting Takeover's/Saudi shows/Network events, they didn't ever go under three weeks(21 days) of building toward a PPV.

·
I'm Just A Sick Guy.
1,884 Posts
I agree. I think in 2019 where WWE is concerned less would certainly be more. The market's over-saturated with WWE TV and PPV's. Raw is too long, and the PPV's are so often there's never enough time to properly build anything to the level it could reach. Less PPV dates on the schedule would mean more matches could be given meaning and purpose in having enough time to build up to the PPV properly: which creatively would only be a good thing for the product.

·
Premium Member
43,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
100% agree. Just in general there's a massive over-saturation of all things wrestling. I do love wrestling, but fuck if I'm struggling to keep up. I can only imagine how fans who are busier than me keep up. Between having to watch 4 different shows, the fucking youtube channels where (especially AEW) seem to further a lot of storylines, meaning you kinda need to keep up with them, and all the damn PPV's that's being thrown out, I'm feeling really stressed about being upto date for when I wanna watch the live PPV's (and I'm always a week or so behind on the shows/storylines). Raw needs to go down by an hour, and they need to go back to 1 PPV per month (and maybe the OCCASIONAL two PPV month for NXT to get one).
Honestly, one of the reasons I've basically stopped watching Raw and Smackdown is because I'd rather try to keep up with everything else. MLW, NWA Powerrr, Impact are more worth my time than Raw and SD, and the two Wednesday night shows are more exciting too, and then you throw AEW Dark on top of that and its like I just plain don't have time for Raw and Smackdown. (To say nothing for shows like 205 Live and NXT UK which I have also completely dropped because I don't have the time).

Sorry to be off topic but are you the same Triple G from the caws.ws forums?
Nope!

You need one ppv a month because fans will cancel network that month if you don't, lose millions stock price drops. Live ppvs are driving network not any other content

I wouldn't have more than one a month though and make sure there is four weeks between shows

There was no need for Stomping grounds ppv so quickly after the Saudi show with similar matches. I would have dropped clash, put hiac in September so Saudi show was only one in October

But there have been similar level of ppvs going back to 1995. In 98 Judgment day took place three weeks after breakdown. Valentine's massacre took place 3 weeks after rumble in 99. In 2013 battleground took place three weeks after noc and hiac took place three weeks after battleground so three ppvs in six weeks during a time ppv was $40-50 and sll had same match maineventing ie Bryan vs Orton
Oh sure...but I've never been a huge fan of even the once a month PPV format. I remember when both WWF and WCW started doing it back in the day and I hated it because it just became too much to keep up with, and this was back when both products were exciting and worth watching weekly.

And I don't know, I feel like there is enough content they can create for the Network to keep fans happy for that month...but who knows. I only keep the Network for NXT and old stuff, so I can't speak for everyone.

·
alexa = greatest of all time!
2,864 Posts
build to HIAC felt very rushed imo

i agree we should only have 8-10 big ppvs imo.

·
Future Hall of Famer
2,277 Posts
I agree, storylines need time to breathe. I would prefer to have 6 PPV's a year personally with the main 4 and 2 additional ones.
They should have max 10 PPV's a year, these 6 for all 2 (or 3) brands

• Royal Rumble
  • Wrestlemania
  • King of the Ring
  • Summerslam
  • MITB
  • Survivor Series
and then for each brand max 2 (or just 1) only brandwise PPV's. Depends on how NXT will be treated.

·
youtube/BareFootTuna
3,592 Posts
Yes. Too much content overall. Its also why they have to recap things on every episode. 10 PPV as stated above is good.

·
The Empire will Reign again
16,480 Posts
Why does everyone think the solution to all of WWE's woes is less content? I skip 90% of Raw, 50% of NXT and about 25% of SD, if they cut the content then that means I'll get to see even less of the people I actually like. You think if they cut ppvs that it's Roman and Charlotte that are going to lose out? No, it's going to be people like Ali and Buddy Murphy.

I think WWE should go in the other direction, I think they should have brand specific ppvs.

Jan RR
Feb Raw
Mar SD
Apr WM
May Raw
Jun SD
July Raw
Aug SS
Sep SD
Oct Raw
Nov SvS
Dec SD

This way B and C ppvs don't have to be 4 and a half hours long and they should also split WM over 2 nights.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
This concept will keep continue because WWE need increase more the network subscribers. I hope it would change in 2020.

·
Registered
682 Posts
The sweet spot would be 14 events a year, with two being Saudi shows and NxT can do whatever they want with their Takeover events.

You say that October-November were packed with events but that is not the reason they haven't announced matches for TLC. And without a PPV in December and almost 10 weeks between Survivor Series and Rumble, what do they build the shows around?

So no. Nothing wrong with 12PPVs a year and 2 Saudi shows.

What they need to do is cut down the third hour of Raw or end the brand split, unify most of the titles, and focus on writing BETTER shows and building for the PPV each and every month.

They also need to stop being lazy assclowns and relying on lazy-ass gimmick PPVs which they've relied on since 2009. The TLC, MITB, HiAC and extreme rules.

HIAC matches should happen on any event, No Mercy, Unforgiven, Summerslam, or Armageddon... As long as the feud calls for it. Booking Sheamus vs Randy Orton, Randy Orton vs Mark Henry and Seth Rollins vs Bray Wyatt in HIAC match just because that's the October PPV was pure dumbassery.

In conclusion,

A)Reducing the number of PPVs or events isn't going to result in better writing or the end of laziness.
B)Ceasing to be lazy and focussing on what matters and working on every Raw/SD and every monthly PPV combined with better writing/storylines is going go solve the issue.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I'm find with the content as long as the tier the content. The three brands should not all be equal. It should be 1. Smackdown 2. Raw 3. NXT. The casual fan knows the big 4 PPV. They should not try to make the PPV's equal they should use events to build people up.

Boxing has tons of events. It helps build people up but the causal fan knows they only have to tune for the big fight. Stop trying to make everything a big deal. Let the casual fan know hey this is skippable.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts