Wrestling Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
I'm the world's greatest superhero. I can do whate
20,570 Posts
Totally taken out of context, much like anything that anyone in the business says.

He simply meant promo driven storylines, which is how things are right now.
Isn't that the same thing? Promos are for the storylines. Otherwise, they're just cutting promos to kill time and that's a waste.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Why does it matter? The wrestling business died in 2004. No one cares about wrestling now apart from those that watch it every week which is a tiny tiny fraction compared to those that USED to watch it.

The casual audience don't watch wrestling anymore because no one wants to watch fake fights lol. It's fake and fixed. People fighting in cages with no blood? Commercials every time someone gets thrown to the outside? It's so predictable and silly. It doesn't matter what WWE do, the only people that watch WWE are the ones that watch every week anyway.

Characters and storytelling are what attract LARGE audiences. That's why other TV shows like NCIS, The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Game Of Thrones have many more viewers than WWE. People don't care that they are fake because the characters and stories are so good. WWE tries to make you believe that wrestling is real lol.They all come out wearing kneepads and boots and have names like John Cena and Dean Ambrose, they try and make them look and act like real people, real athletes and people don't care. Wrestling is built on stories and characters and things that can't happen in real life. WWE trying to hard to make people think it's real.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Meh, I find it hard to get interested in a character that can't talk unless they are very unique in ring wise. I'll probably tune out if this is the case.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
I want to watch wrestling at the PPV's. I like the mash up of promos, segments and matches on Raw & Smackdown plus with it being 3 hours you need to pass the time somehow. As much as i love the matches i also hate it. For every Cesaro vs Cena you get about 10 Fandango vs Santino, or Swagger vs Kofi.

·
OG3
3,387 Posts
I totally thought they were going this way before Cena said something

Everyone complains about how WWE sucks, but the wrestling is at a pretty high level

The middle match on Raw always steals the show

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I watch wrestling for the promos and stories :(

·
Registered
408 Posts
I want to watch wrestling at the PPV's. I like the mash up of promos, segments and matches on Raw & Smackdown plus with it being 3 hours you need to pass the time somehow. As much as i love the matches i also hate it. For every Cesaro vs Cena you get about 10 Fandango vs Santino, or Swagger vs Kofi.
This.

More fast forward to me.

·
Banned
3,871 Posts
I Love it. Ofcourse theres going to be promos here and there Like it is now but this feels like a wrestling show and not a soap opera. Kudos to them.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
It's kind of frustrating that they can't just try to excel at both mic work & ring work at the same time. At this point in time, with all of the resources they have we should be seeing some of the greatest wrestling of all time every week, on the mic and in the ring. It wouldn't even be that hard if they would just try.

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
If you listened to Austin's podcast with Cena, he claims, not necessarily to his or Austin's approval, that WWE is slowly moving away from promo and character and putting more emphasis on in ring competition. He claims their justification for this is the growing overseas market and how the non-English speaking countries will absorb in ring storytelling over promos. He also says it bodes better for the roster because most of them are better in ring than on the mic.

I myself have noticed the bend toward competition than vocal gunslinging these past several months. My hunches have been confirmed by Cena, before any of the dirsheets.

Old School smarks who only loves workrate might love this.

Most people here will be ambivalent.

Lannister is gonna go apeshit.
Promos won't be going away anytime soon. I hope this just means they'll actually play to a guy's strengths, and not make him do most of his storytelling in the ring rather then in atroious promos.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I personally thinks this will be stupid and a mistake while most guys dont need to use the mic to get over alot of guys have gained fans from their mic work alone....do you really think Bray Wyatt would have gotten over if it wasnt for his mic work without that character and his promos he would just Husky Harris to everybody else and just think if guys isnt cutting promos it might be alot harder for causla fans to actually get to know this person and who he is and what he is all about because most casual fans truly is all about the entertainment of wrestlers rather than their ring work

·
Banned
3,871 Posts
And btw they are not moving away from promos. They are not going new japan. Its just more wrestling and Good inring action. The storylines and the promos lead to the action in the ring like its supposed to be. The last year has been one of my alltime wwe favirite years and I did watch the ae. Ive never been interested in over the top soap opera bullshit.

You need promos and storylines but keep it simple and let it lead to the inring stuff instead of shit like mae young giving Birth to a hand.

And when did Cena appear on Austins podcast? Id love to hear that one. Anybody got a link?

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Why does it matter? The wrestling business died in 2004. No one cares about wrestling now apart from those that watch it every week which is a tiny tiny fraction compared to those that USED to watch it.
Stock prices today are around double the amount they were in 2004.

And viewership isn't that far off in terms of USA audience, while international audience has grown.

So how exactly has wrestling business died and nobody cares, when it's bigger than it's been in quite some time.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts