Wrestling Forum banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
Why is creative so protective and not letting these guys cut their own promo's anyway? I fail to see the benefit, outside of some guys maybe not being very "PG" with what they say, but they can always reprimand them if that's the case. It really seems like there is no benefit whatsoever, in some cases like Big E, maybe the guy could actually get over if they gave him 2 minutes on the mic and let him just do his thing. Of course, some guys will bomb at first, but that doesn't mean you just never let them talk.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Well, this is kind of obvious with all these damn hours of programming to fill. They can't talk in all of the slots. When they started doing this in 1997 with more promo it simply happened because there was a lack of roster depth and time needed to be filled(I will never forget HBK being told to shut up and wrestle on one raw lol because he was yapping for like 20 minutes.)

·
Registered
749 Posts
In ring action is great and all, but it means nothing if there's no storytelling to back it up. I'm all for increasing in ring work, as long as creative still puts an effort into telling the story at hand through promo work to the right extent.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Well ring work is very important,. We all know that. But we all remember the Kaitlyn vs AJ feud. Two girls can go in thee ring for hours and everybody sees a diva match as a piss break. But with this match, these girls had a believable emotional background story and everybody felt that tension in the match. Without the segments and promos these girls had, it would have been another piss break match. I am saying wwe should become days of our lives, but we need some promos and segments to get into the match. There is only so much that you can say in the ring. Maybe some of these guys can't talk. Either they test them in the back. I have no clue. But you never know until you put them out there and let them try and grow. Aj lee was horrible on the mic in NXT and look where she is now. You just got to have faith in them to grow.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
I just think it really comes down to psychology and how much a fan is invested in the wrestlers. I've seen some really crappy stories end up getting people really involved because the ring work was just that damn good.

Look at Ceasaro and Cena from RAW. There was no huge back story there, but the crowd was way into the action in the ring. A good backstory just complements greatness in the ring.

Look at Savage vs. Steamboat and their back story. Both were KILLER. It can be done.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I don't buy that reasoning of catering more to foreign audiences. They're focusing on ring work more because the amount of content they have to fill along with very few characters to draw compelling material from has made a focus on promos outside the main stars very hard for creative.

·
Banned
3,896 Posts
The in-ring action is my favorite part of the show because I can' trust creative to write a compelling promo or storyline, but if you can wrestle, you can wrestle and keep people entertained regardless of promo-cutting shortcomings or flops. I'd prefer good stories too but WWE isn't focused on that too much.
This.

There's really only the in ring action that keeps me watching lately because of the sheer incompetence of the 'writers' (and that's a stretch)

·
wrap
9,027 Posts
I wonder, then, why they are pushing guys who are mediocre at best at both ahead of the good in ring workers. Why, for instance, is Batista/Orton a possible Main Event of WM, when Orton is no longer anything of note in either compartment, and Batista is fairly bad at both?

·
TEAM DEPPIE
7,950 Posts
Sigh, is it really that hard to give me great in ring work, good to compelling and interesting storylines with great promos?

Of course there are special cases where a talent's in ring work will get them over.
Look at Cesaro, bloody fantastic in the ring and has everyone mesmerized by his work.
See, that's fine, there's room for focusing in the in ring action sometimes.

But that doesn't work for every wrestler. Promos and mic work will always be needed in WWE and shouldn't be ignored.
Some of the best ways to connect to a wrestler is through segments and promos.
It gives them some more layers, let's you know what they're about and just presents you a way to relate, love them or hate them.

Yeah, it's nice sometimes just to see some great action between two talented wrestlers.
You can really appreciate those who have honed their craft compared to those who are only average in the ring.

But there's nothing like those matches that had a great story behind them.
The matches you could get emotionally invested into.Those are fantastic and in another league of their own.

Yeah, AE may not have the best wrestlers or technicians bar a few like a Benoit, Shawn Michaels, Kurt Angle etc.
But boy did they have matches that had you on the edge of your seat and emotionally invested in the outcome.
It's because it was easy to connect with a wrestlers back then.
You wholeheartedly rooted for them and wanted your guy to come out on top.

I mean, we still get that sometimes ala Daniel Bryan, but there should definitely be more wrestlers to feel that way about.

I don't know. I wish WWE didn't rely so much on matches to build the feud. The storytelling, promos and confrontations should be building up to the big match in my opinion.

Look at Wyatts and Shield. They haven't even tapped into the potential in what the feud could be, but just the little tension building and back forth has made their upcoming match at EC feel :mark: worthy.

I need to have that feeling more. I want to have that feeling more, because despite how much i bitch, i love wrestling and want to see WWE do better.

Sheesh, that was long :lol

·
I AM SO KAFKAESQUE
1,782 Posts
I don't know why everyone read this and assumed it meant the end of angles entirely. And I don't hear people chanting 'this is awesome' when Batista gives another awkward and boring promo, or when Wade Barrett has another lame angle.

If this means less stupid dance offs and less Goldust playing with legos, then good. Fuck that bullshit.

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
I don't mind a more sports like presentation but for whatever mic-time the guys do get let them be themselves. The only natural promos in the entire company are Cena and Bray.. (Ambrose too whenever they let him talk). Everyone else feels so overly scripted.

·
Registered
810 Posts
WWE need to do this more than ever

41 - 60 of 79 Posts