Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously, I've been thinking about this for a while and the question asking people if they'd still watch WWE if now if they weren't fans before has made me create this topic.

For the most part, all I ever hear on internet forums is how WWE is awful, predictable and its just for kids. I mean, people talk like WWE used to be high brow, intelligent television. It's never been. Plus, it's always been for kids. YOU probably started watching when you were a kid. It's one of those things that anyone from any age demographic can watch and enjoy, like the British show ''Doctor Who'' but in the grand scheme of things, it has always been for the kids. Even the Attitude Era was for kids, just kids who thought sex and toilet humour was funny. As for being predictable, was Hogan never going to defeat the big monster in front of him? Was Austin not going to overcome McMahon eventually? It wasn't predictable because you hadn't been a fan for years and you weren't ''smart'' to the way the business works.

Also, I think another problem is, once you've grown up, you've seen everything wrestling is able to offer. I think the Attitude Era spoilt everyone in that way, they did almost every angle imaginable. There isn't much wrestling hasn't done. However, for the most part, the WWE do what they've always done. The basic premises are still the same. They just do it in a more toned down way.

Personally, I've really enjoyed WWE pretty much all this year. In previous years, I agreed with people that criticised the product but this year, it's actually been good for me. I think at the minute, it's the best it's been in a long time. They're pushing new stars, they're giving us some good storylines and they've stopped including the Guest Hosts in everything on the shows. Yet still, people on the internet criticise virtually everything they do and that is when I finally realised that a lot of people have just become so wrapped up in the inner workings of the business that they just can't enjoy much anymore.

I'm not saying I never criticise anything, I thought the finish to Bragging Rights was an incredibly lame way to treat the fans who had forked out a near 50 dollars to see the main event but I can take mis steps in the booking over crap versions of Saturday Night Live, which is what RAW felt like almost every week last year.

So in conclusion, I don't think WWE isn't awful at the minute or if it is awful, it's certainly no more awful than it has ever been. You've just grown up.

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
I thought the average age of this forum was 14?

·
DAVID OTUNGA's Personal Assistant
9,748 Posts
nope. sorry. i hate when people make excuses as to when someone doesn't like something. maybe some people just don't like it? why does it have to be "oh you're just too old for it," or "you don't understand what they're doing?" why can't someone just NOT like it because they don't think its any good? i've grown up, but if something is shit, it's still shit.

although i have to say after all that, i don't think the WWE is awful. but to say all people who think the WWE is awful think its awful because they've grown up is ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Of course I know I'm not talking for every single person when I say it Rawlin67 but I do think that is it true for a lot of people that post on the internet.

When you were younger, you weren't talking about wanting to see certain people pushed, wrestlers going over or getting buried, you weren't picking holes in storylines that really aren't huge lapses in logic to begin with and you weren't talking about how predictable it was that someone was winning the main event on Sunday. You can pick a holes in basically everything that happens in wrestling if you really want to so if that is all you're going to do, why watch?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I stopped watching in 2002 simply because i lost interest,and when i look at TODAYS PRODUCT i dont look at it "haha this is childish and retarded,how did i ever like this" , i see it as now aimed soley at under 14 yr olds,NOT THE SAME SHOW WHATSOEVER... and not a male adult themed soap opera that was racey ,exciting and original from 97-2002.

·
pretending to be nice
1,492 Posts
It's not an age thing. Alot of younger peeps I've met in the internetz hate WWE and wrestling. It's actually been quite the opposite of your hypothesis.. the older folks seem to enjoy wrestling much more than the young.

·
Banned
564 Posts
Nope sorry. It's awful. You didn't find "grown ups" saying the attitude era or even the first few years of the brand split were awful....they just sad they "grew out of it". Now it's just bad that even the die hards are slowly giving up on it.

In fact in the attitude era, the target audience was like 15-25, now it's 8-14 again.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I watched as a kid when Hogan was making a name for himself. I watched as a college aged young man when the Monday night wars were at their peak. I was a career minded independent grown man when I watched former WCW stars work in the WWE. I was ALWAYS interested in wrestling up until the PG-era. I am not critical of today's product because I've outgrown it....I am critical of it because it lacks what makes wrestling entertaining to me in the first place.

Multiple major storylines are a thing of the past. Raw is all about Cena, SD is all about Kane/Undertaker. They push 1 headline story down our throats and the lesser storylines fade in and out with no consistency. WM in 2003 was one of the last PPV's I bought. Jericho/Michaels, Hogan/McMahon, Angle/Lesnar, HHH/Booker T, Rock/Stone Cold....when was the last time WWE pushed that many major storylines at once?

Bad guys aren't really bad guys....few heels can draw heat like they used to. When the Rock was a heel, they would have to turn the mike up to hear him over the boo's. Go back even earlier...the Iron Shiek could walk into the area and the boo's would shake the walls. Who can do that these days?

If just those two things were different, my level of interest would be 10X what it is now. I'd buy more merchandise, buy a few PPV's, and probably get my wife to watch it with me. Until then, I'll still record it on DVR, fast forward thru the commercials, divas, 'heres what happened earlier' segments, guest host bs....and only watch the 1-2 decent matches in about 15 minutes time.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Couldn't disagree more with the OP. Good entertainment is good regardless of age.

Wrestling is like a roller coaster with long slow climbs to the top and once you get there you fall faster and faster,

The hogan era was great, the subsequent period was awful, the attitude are was great, the current pg era is awful... wrestling will get good again (hopefully) but it has nothing to do with my age.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You didn't find "grown ups" saying the attitude era or even the first few years of the brand split were awful....they just sad they "grew out of it".
The thing is though, there were plenty of people like that. Some people hated the direction the WWF went in from 1998-2001. It got tons of criticism from the media. Plus, some people were fans during the Hogan and New Generation eras when it was family friendly and were so disgusted by some of the characters and storylines in the Attitude Era that they quit watching.

The difference is, the fans that left were replaced by a new generation of fans and that is what WWE are trying to do at the minute. They're just finding it hard to pull people in because MMA is now the in-thing instead of wrestling.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I have grown up from the attitude era, and i don't find WWE to be awful.. infact if anything i hate UFC. Believe it or not i can stand UFC or Boxing for that manner.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Well I have been watching WWE for 20 years and I have been through the Hogan era, the warrior era, the Bret Hart era, the Austin era and etc etc.

And I honestly believe that in 2010 the "wrestling" is far better now than it ever has been in the WWE.

The attitude era was and always has been overrated to me, sure the storylines were interesting at times but the wrestling was god awful 80% of the time.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Cant say i agree with the growing up thing...i think its down to it simply being PG.
However i dont think its completly awful but its not what it once was..but things change with the times and the edgy product of the past might not be as accepted right now, especially with some of the public look on the WWE

The growing up thing cant be correct cause i watch old WWF matches and footage, and i still feel that buzz. It as simple as the product is aimed differently right now.

But things will come back around again and it will be edgy once more.

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
I think the OP makes a good point. WWE clearly isn't booking a show to please 18-34 year olds. If you like it, then it's a bonus, but they know who their money is coming from and they book towards that audience.

A lot of times I feel like I'm too old for it. Only thing that keeps me watching is habit and curiosity.

·
Registered
559 Posts
you bring up some very good points. but the way i see it, people watch wrestling for different reasons. i watch it for the actual wrestling, which is getting better due simply to the credit of daniel bryan. how ever story lines show much promise and then just fall flat on its face. for example nexus looked like it would be the next big thing. but the poor booking and injuries it just became another storyline. so people who watch to see a good story i can see how they hate it. the thing that i like when i was little is the fact that it wasnt obvious they were aiming towards kids. it wasnt childish like certain things are today

·
Registered
942 Posts
I think the OP makes a good point. WWE clearly isn't booking a show to please 18-34 year olds. If you like it, then it's a bonus, but they know who their money is coming from and they book towards that audience.

A lot of times I feel like I'm too old for it. Only thing that keeps me watching is habit and curiosity.
Same here.

All I see on this forum is how it sucks because the wrestlers can't cuss or shed blood.

Is it really that serious?

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
some of us have grown up AND moved onto other wrestling, wrestling more focussed on the sporting aspect, something that WWE USED TO HAVE

because WWE stopped trying, they ran out of ideas resorted to familiar conventional cookie cutter tired ways to get basics of matches, characters and stories across to point where it isnt even structured like a sporting circuit anymore

WWE, though have gotten better this year, from 2006-2009: SUCK, absolute SUCK

from purpose of matches, roads to the titles and their importance and legacies got swept under the rug and the variety and big fight feel got sacrificed for a freaking toy deal

there used to be a clear ladder, a hierarchy of success that every wrestler had their place and their own journey to greatness that the audience can relate to

WWEs show used to have the storylines revolve around the wrestling NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND

so yeah ive grown up, realised why wrestling back in the day was so great and even how it can be now

but Sterotypes and the long forgotten pie-in-the-sky pretenses of The American Dream in this post 9/11 world in what is supposed to be a WORLD BASED COMPANY is far from the way to go to put this Artform we claim to love so much in a positive light

ITS NOT HORRIBLE THROUGH AND THROUGH, WWE IS JUST "BORING", YOU KNOW THE WORD YOU MAINSTREAM FANS GIVE TO PURE TECHNICAL WRESTLING, SO REGRETTABLY WE ARE NEVER GONNA SEE EYE TO EYE

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,036 Posts
It's not an age thing. I was well aware of what was crap and what was not when I was a kid too, and I certainly would have thought this product was crap when I was a kid too. At the end of the day, it's the product that does it for me. The creative department, Vince and his watering down of the product, John Cena being the No.1 guy etc.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts