Wrestling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
161 - 180 of 291 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Re: The Observer: WWE is still committed to pushing Roman Reigns as the top guy of the company

Reigns win - booo, same old s**t
Reigns lose dirty - booo, they're protecting him
Reigns lose - booo, it's just to force some pity on him/to start his redemption
Reigns win minor title- booo, he's being pushed again
Reigns lose minor title - booo, it's just to move him in the main event
Reigns talks -boooo, he can't talk
Reigns doesn't talk - booo, they're protecting him
Reigns does his moves - boooo, same old s**t
Reigns does new moves - boooo, "you still can't wrestle"
There's a pro-reigns rumor - booooo, it's true
There's an anti-reign rumor - booo, it's fake/it's a work
Reigns appears on tv - boooo, they just put him in the most valuable spot
Reign doesn't even appear - boooo, they're trying to take away some heat on him

And on, and on, and on, and on, and on...

·
Rolling Blunts With King Kunta
1,531 Posts
Re: The Observer: WWE is still committed to pushing Roman Reigns as the top guy of the company

The guy lost to Balor, Rollins, and Owens in the main event lately and has been demoted to mid-card for the time being. I don't like that he won the U.S. title, but it's better than him being in another world title reign. At this point, fans (the same idiots that chant "this is awesome" during his match and then chant "you can't wrestle" right after that) are just bitching because he is not an indy guy that these idiots claim Vince "overlooks". If Kevin Owens can come in and beat John Cena clean on his first night and Finn Balor can come in and win the world title in his first PPV match (but Vince doesn't give small guys a chance, right?), then Reigns can be in the main event when he's ready. I would give him another year or two before I put him in the main event again. At this current rate that he's improving, he'll be ready by then.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Re: The Observer: WWE is sitll committed to pushing Roman Reigns as the top guy of the company

lol Dude is the current United States Champion, wich is a midcard title, you are telling that in that position, you still feel he is a bigger focus than Aj Styles, Dean Ambrose, John Cena, Kevin Owens, Seth Rollins?
Titles are no more than props in WWE to further a storyline in 2016. Just because Owens is champion doesn't mean WWE are currently building the entire company around him. As soon as Reigns was crowned champion at WM WWE were referencing a "New Era" every 2 minutes.

And yes there is more focus over the past 2 years on Reigns above all the guys you just listed. Not a single one of them has won a Rumble, mainevented WM or Summerslam in that time. The only people who have the same focus when on tv are Stephanie/HHH and Lesnar over the past two years.

Let me make you a highlight of what have happened during the last months.

They made Reigns lose clean to Fin Balor.
They made Reigns lose clean to Rollins,
They made Reigns lose clean to Ambrose.
They made Styles and Ambrose beat Cena clean.
They gave the title to Kevin Owens.
They turn Seth Rollins, the second biggest young prospect in the roster babyface
and put him on the title picture.
Reigns only lost those matches because he failed the wellness. And even then he hasn't fallen down the card so the defeats mean nothing as he is still booked super-strong. He beat Kevin Owens clean just last week in Raw mainevent.

If this was 2006-08 you would be arguing that RVD, Khali and JBL were being pushed ahead of Cena because they beat him during that period.

And you still telling me Reigns in a biggest position than everybody now? Stop with the excuses, If it was somebody meant to surprass Reigns it will be already showing it.
Would they? Prior to Rollins turning face a week ago who was the top babyface on Raw or Smackdown who wasn't given a push a decade ago?

If you want to think that if they would have gave Reigns push to Sami Zayn instead, the product will be any different right now, that's up to you, if that makes you feel better, you can think like that.... But we all know what reality is.
Well we won't know if it doesn't happen.

Your argument is that WWE have nothing else and they need to double down on Reigns to the detriment of everyone else.

My argument is there are lots of options they could try and not just Zayn. Why not have Big E or Strowman or Cass or Samoa Joe or Jason Jordan set the Survivor Series elimination record and then set the Rumble record and see where we go from there. Why not go the opposite direction and push Charlotte to the moon and make her the mainevent attraction and program her with Ronda Rousey at WM.

Einstein famously said "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is the definition of insanity" so what WWE are currently doing would easily fall into that category.

·
Banned
313 Posts

Why they haven't seen that Seth is better is beyond me.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts

As long as he along with the Universal Championship (which will be his in a matter of time) stay the fuck away from Smackdown, I can find a way to live with this.

·
Registered
9,152 Posts

I'm of the opinion that there's nothing wrong with Roman being in the main event scene. But the circumstances and execution has been all wrong. Batista and Austin were 35 when they got their big push. Roman is 32 I think or 31 either way wait 4 years. Give him time to flesh out don't force it. Have faith in the guy as an investment. WWE doesn't have this.

He can improve his mic skills if you give him time
He can get over in either side of the coin

WWE just has the patience of a crazy bitch who wants you to call as soon as you get in the door after the first date

·
Fearless University Graduate
15,548 Posts
The ridiculous part is Roman can be everything the WWE want him to be if they would stop being so stubborn. We dont need a Samoan Super Hero. Start booking his feuds as being competitive, he's terrible TV when you just know he's going to destroy whoever he's feuding with and they will leave the feud looking like shit.

Its not just Reigns though, people love to hate on him, he's the cliche guy to complain about. But Rollins is just as bad as Roman is, and just as forced upon the fans and Balor would have been/will be when he returns.

This is hilarious.

Guy has failed more times than anyone in wrestling history at getting over on his level, and yet they still want him to be the face.

Fuck off.

You have ROLLINS, a guy who can actually do the things that Reigns lacks, is more charismatic and that the fans CHEERED when he was a heel. Yet, because you are so arrogant that you think a generic, talent-less samoan is a better choice.
This is such an IWC at large fallacy. Its absurd that so many people and WWE itself push this idea that Rollins is some uber talent. He's not. He's a great in ring guy, with no charisma, no personality, poor mic skills and a complete inability to do gimmick work. He's not the savior, he's just flippy Reigns, just as flawed, just as underwhelming, but lacking any natural presence/physical charisma that Roman does have.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts

I think this U.S. title run can be a good way to build himself up to actual main event level caliber. Its obvious he will continue to feud with Rusevover the belt, which will end at HIAC more likely, and afterwards he could feud with Y2J for the rest of the year. I would keep the championship on Reigns until after WM, he should wait until the summer of 2017 to be in the main event again and go after the UC. SS would be a perfect opportunity for him to get the UC belt if he is ready by that time.

·
Registered
18,879 Posts

Third time's a charm, right?

WWE must like having things fly back in their faces. Very surprised their collective ego hasn't been shattered yet. Just a shame Reigns has to go through the same shit Cena had to.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts

The ridiculous part is Roman can be everything the WWE want him to be if they would stop being so stubborn. We dont need a Samoan Super Hero. Start booking his feuds as being competitive, he's terrible TV when you just know he's going to destroy whoever he's feuding with and they will leave the feud looking like shit.

Its not just Reigns though, people love to hate on him, he's the cliche guy to complain about. But Rollins is just as bad as Roman is, and just as forced upon the fans and Balor would have been/will be when he returns.
His feuds would actually be better if he just destroyed people. But instead most of his feuds consist on him getting beat up on in matches for some inexplicable reason only to overcome the odds and win. He hardly ever dominates and it's so awkward when combined with his booking. Even the beatdowns he gives usually look gentle and non-vicious compared to how guys normally do him.

I'm so sick of having my intelligence insulted watching guys like Kofi, Owens, Miz, etc beat up on him for most of the match when we know full well that he's going over. Why even pretend like these little dudes have a chance? Even with guys around his size or bigger, he's always the one taking most of the offense and he's usually the one winning as well. It's annoying as hell.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts

His feuds would actually be better if he just destroyed people. But instead most of his feuds consist on him getting beat up on in matches for some inexplicable reason only to overcome the odds and win. He hardly ever dominates and it's so awkward when combined with his booking. Even the beatdowns he gives usually look gentle and non-vicious compared to how guys normally do him.

I'm so sick of having my intelligence insulted watching guys like Kofi, Owens, Miz, etc beat up on him for most of the match when we know full well that he's going over. Why even pretend like these little dudes have a chance? Even with guys around his size or bigger, he's always the one taking most of the offense and he's usually the one winning as well. It's annoying as hell.
I agree if anyone needs the Goldberg type booking its Reigns. He should only get dominated in matches if he is hurt storyline wise or facing someone as big as him. Even still he should dominate in those circumstances.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
It's not that he was pushed hard.

It's that he was pushed hard when the fans didn't want to see him pushed hard.

When people say that the fans would have turned on Balor for receiving the same push it's bullshit. Balor was more over on his first night on the roster than Reigns ever was.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts

I agree if anyone needs the Goldberg type booking its Reigns. He should only get dominated in matches if he is hurt storyline wise or facing someone as big as him. Even still he should dominate in those circumstances.
Right! Just let him be the destroyer that everyone loves. That level of vanilla booking should only be reserved for guys like Sami and Neville who can pull off crap like that. I don't want to see some huge scary dude get beat up on by any and everybody only to mount a sudden no sell superman comeback, win or lose. Reigns needs to be the kind of dominate, that when he starts getting beaten up on by anyone not a lot bigger than him, it's shocking to him.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Not surprising really, nothing will ever change Vince's mind on this. I guess those guys that are on SmackDown should be feeling lucking right now because if you are on RAW and your name is not Roman Reigns, well...then you don't have a prayer to be the top guy on that show. Also feel bad for Rusev as it is quite obvious that they will suck him dry in this feud to try and get the people to cheer Roman.

It will be the third time, three years in a row that they set everything up just for the sake of getting this guy over as a top face, it hasn't worked in the past despite all their efforts yet they are not giving up and we will go on to 2017 with the game goal as the last two years: sacrificing anything and everything just to get Roman over.

Kevin Owens can say "This is the Kevin Owens Show" all he wants but it is clear that this is truly Monday Night Roman.
The problem isn't Reigns, it's the booking and creative. It was Vince's idea to go all the way with Balor. The problem isn't Reigns nor Vince, the problem is booking and creative and it is showing via ratings. Kevin Owens is the convincing heel that everyone wants and yet we have a problem. In an ironic twist, if Reigns becomes a heel he will get more cheers that way yet something that will work.

·
Registered
6,115 Posts

Bryan's Running knee is a more legit finisher than the modified Firemans Carry, aka F5, so of course.

I find it funny that people complain about Brock's monster booking in his matches, but then at the same time show how well it works by saying stuff like "lol that guy would be totally unbelievable beating Brock".
If you think anything about Daniel Bryan is more legit than Brock you need professional help

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Re: The Observer: WWE is sitll committed to pushing Roman Reigns as the top guy of the company

But every accomplishment any wrestler (especially a big time one) has had has been for the exact same reason as you said Roman's is. I don't get why after almost 40 years of WWE, people suddenly care.

There are two reasons that Roman's US title is getting elevated from the preshow to secondary main event. 1. Because the brand split took away a midcard title and the most prestigious title in the company, so the US title has to be elevated since it's the only other male single's title on the Raw brand besides the Universal. 2. Because Roman is a top star and Rusev is not. And I think the concept that some guys will always be higher than others because that's how things work is perhaps the hardest concept for wrestling fan to accept. Rusev is not a top guy and probably will never be. So yeah his title reigns won't be as dry as say Kalisto's, but they won't be Roman level either. Roman may be in the midcard from time to time, but his position is a main eventer. Rusev might be in the main event occasionally, but he's a midcarder. That's the difference. Raw is led by Seth, Roman, and Kevin (was supposed to be Finn) like SD is led by Styles, Ambrose, and Miz. It's not a particularly Roman issue, just company order.
As I said before, I never saw Jericho or Edge intercontinental title's run being booked as Cena's US run, for example. And they were main eventers.

I said it already in another post: Roman's run with the US title will elevate it as much as Cena's did. It will feel like a big deal because Roman is treated as a big deal, but chances are that the title will be dropped in an unclean and underwhelming fashion to someone with barely any momentum and we'll be back to square one.
I never believed a main eventer holding a midcard title would elevate it; the title gets elevated when a midcarder starts getting momentum and his booked accordingly to a midcarder that is managing slowly to break into the main event area.

I respect your opinion of course, but for what I've seen in the last few years, if you're one of the golden boys you will get preferential booking and treatment, and even the time you take to poop would be treated as a big deal, whereas anyone else will be treated differently, maybe even good, just not as good.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Soon people will realize that Reigns is a better face of the company than every other main eventer on the roster just like they eventually did with Cena back in the early 2010s

·
Oh My Goddess
3,580 Posts
If they want him to occupy the Cena position in the future of the product, Roman is going to have to improve significantly in terms of mic skills and personality.

Until or unless that happens, it is not going to work at that level. No matter who they put him over or how many times they keep trying to force a square peg into a round hole.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts

As I said before, I never saw Jericho or Edge intercontinental title's run being booked as Cena's US run, for example. And they were main eventers.

I said it already in another post: Roman's run with the US title will elevate it as much as Cena's did. It will feel like a big deal because Roman is treated as a big deal, but chances are that the title will be dropped in an unclean and underwhelming fashion to someone with barely any momentum and we'll be back to square one.
I never believed a main eventer holding a midcard title would elevate it; the title gets elevated when a midcarder starts getting momentum and his booked accordingly to a midcarder that is managing slowly to break into the main event area.

I respect your opinion of course, but for what I've seen in the last few years, if you're one of the golden boys you will get preferential booking and treatment, and even the time you take to poop would be treated as a big deal, whereas anyone else will be treated differently, maybe even good, just not as good.
The way you say "golden boys" sounds so shady lol. That's how business works. Not every person in a company will be an executive. Not every wrestler on WWE's roster will be a top guy. That's just how it is and will probably always be. Roman is a big deal, Rusev not so much. But here's the piece you're forgetting. The US title isn't a tertiary title anymore, so yeah it was going to be elevated no matter what. It is now on level with the Intercontinental title, which is also being presented as a big deal on SD and Miz and freaking Dolph Ziggler are feuding for it. So it really isn't as much about Roman as you think.

It's actually good that wrestlers themselves affect the titles' importances because if they didn't, there'd be far more continuity issues than there already are. It's really ridiculous when a wrestler suddenly gains/loses abilities because of a title.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts

The way you say "golden boys" sounds so shady lol. That's how business works. Not every person in a company will be an executive. Not every wrestler on WWE's roster will be a top guy. That's just how it is and will probably always be. Roman is a big deal, Rusev not so much. But here's the piece you're forgetting. The US title isn't a tertiary title anymore, so yeah it was going to be elevated no matter what. It is now on level with the Intercontinental title, which is also being presented as a big deal on SD and Miz and freaking Dolph Ziggler are feuding for it. So it really isn't as much about Roman as you think.

It's actually good that wrestlers themselves affect the titles' importances because if they didn't, there'd be far more continuity issues than there already are. It's really ridiculous when a wrestler suddenly gains/loses abilities because of a title.
But that happens when you put the title on someone who has no credibility/momentum to hold it.

My point is that a secondary title should, exactly as a wrestler, go along with the rise of the wrestler that holds it, until it gets dropped to someone who is on a similar rising path through WWE ladder. I can guarantee that whoever comes after Roman will feel like a small deal, because Roman is a main eventer and the next US champion probably won't.

I didn't mean it to be shady actually, I was just implying that there are a few people that are favoured over others because WWE higher ups likes them more. Just think of Punk and Cena, those two guys SHOULD have been treated equally, but Punk with the WWE title was playing second fiddle to Cena wrestling a non-wrestler (who wasn't even a celebrity); that's the glaring example of what I meant.

161 - 180 of 291 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.