Wrestling Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6,240 Posts
There is a problem with the age of talent, in the sense that it hurts the realism and the appeal of a product if the prime age of your wrestlers is over 40. If you want to attract a more diverse audience then you need guys that young people are going to want to fuck. You can't be presenting a product that's popularity with young people depends on them having daddy issues.

That being said, the problem is that the best workers are of that age. And guys can push further past now and milk their careers a bit more. Honestly? I would not be opposed to WWE taking a risk and whisking all their talent above 40 years of age, except for maybe one or two, and putting them on their own show. I don't want to necessarily say NXT, but a place where they can work with younger talent and bring some star power to it. Cesaro, Sheamus, Shinsuke Nakamura, R-Truth, Dolph Ziggler, Bobby Roode and AJ Styles are the names that immediately come to mind. It freshens up the deck they're taken out of as well as the deck they are inserted into.

But WWE are actually doing fairly well heading into star-building mode at the moment. Drew McIntyre is 35. Angel Garza is 27. Ricochet is 31. Andrade is 30. Aleister Black is 34. That's just Raw. I think the rosters could just use a bit more movement and not remain as fixed as they do (in a sense of guys having spots -- I don't mean jumping shows willy nilly). Cycling guys in and out is important.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's time to build new stars and to be fair , I don't know how much I buy into all that.

Owens, Rollins, Wyatt, Reigns, Bryan, Murphy,

None of those guys are all that old.

But how do you build them in such a way to lure back in the casual market, especially in an age where everything backstage is so exposed that there's no element of surprise anymore?

Remember when Hogan walked down to the ring in '96? Sure, Heenan's "whose side is he own" line sorta ruined it, but to the average fan, you didn't know what he was going to do.

Nowadays, we'd know he'd be the third man long before he even decided to with some site talking about "rumors" or some shit.

·
Registered
6,240 Posts
A lot of that is Vince’s voice permeating everywhere and writers writing for Vince. They are caught in their own tropes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just stumbled across this thread after reading on WWE’s Twitter that aswell as Cena on Smackdown we will be seeing Hulk Hogan!?

41 - 44 of 44 Posts