Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
It's sad that Edge (retired, and was a second-tier main eventer at best in his prime) gets a bigger pop than anyone on the current roster.
That’s because he is fresh and just came back. Let’s see his pop when the fans get tired of seeing him every Monday.

·
rasslin
2,517 Posts
Maybe if Edge's first promo when he came back wasn't better than what the majority of the modern day wrestlers are capable of, they wouldn't have to rely on guys like him so much.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Yes
  • Rollins
  • Reigns
  • Owens
  • Joe
  • Andrade
  • Carillo
  • Murphy
  • Black
  • Bryan
  • Corbin
  • Nakamura
  • Strowman
  • Charlotte
  • Becky
  • Bayley
Yep every single one of those guys they rely on is old.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Your information is deliberately misleading though. You aren't accounting for the age/experience of the performers in 1985 guys like Muraco, Andre, Orton and many other guys on the 1985 roster were at least their mid-thirties with long careers. Of course, there was going to be a noticeable change over between them and the top guys in 1995. There is a big difference between them and guys like Randy Orton, Miz, Ziggler, Sheamus, and Daniel Bryan who in 2010 were 30 or younger with the exception of Sheamus who was 32. There is bound to be less turnover when you are utilizing younger performers with less mileage on them. You also have to remember that guys like Hogan and Savage were huge parts of wrestling in 1995 just in a different company and WWF's attempt to skew younger in the wake of Hogan's departure led to overutilization of people like Piper, Backlund, and Lawler who by that point were north of forty themselves. Truth be told WWF/E or any company leaning on older wrestlers is hardly new. It happens every generation. Whether you like it or not it's how things work. The scientific advances in performance and training and the onus put on not doing stupid things have also contributed to performers being able to perform at a high level longer which obviously adds longevity to their stay at the top of the mountain.
Average age for a male WWE main roster performer is older now than in the late 80s, and even more so than in the late 90s.

WWE was more willing (for a number of reasons) to let talent go in the past when they grew stale or caused behind the scenes issues.

Bam Bam Bigelow was in his 20s in 1987 and got a huge push out of the gate, yet WWE allowed him to jump to the NWA a year later. Barry Windham was allowed to return to the NWA in 1990, less than a year after his WWE jump. Ric Flair was allowed to return to WCW in 1993 before his contract expired (although he had to wait a few months to wrestle).

Now - with even less viable competition than in 1990 or 1993 (WCW was probably closer in scope to the WWF than AEW is to today’s WWE) the company would make each one of those wrestlers honor the full length of their contract, and add time for injuries. There’s no way that Vince would allow someone to leave now because they were about to be pushed down the card, like Flair in early 1993.

This along with the higher contracts has kept wrestlers in the company far longer than previously. I will say that although the move sets are much more intensive, the lower amount of dates coupled with a much safer ring has decreased the number of injuries that the roster has, and it’s serving to prolong careers as well.

As for being misleading about 1985, here are their ages:

Andre : 35
Don Muraco: 36
JYD: 33
Orton: 35
Hogan: 32
Piper: 32
Savage: 33
Hart: 28
Santana: 32
King Kong Bundy: 30

·
Registered
11,141 Posts
Bundy was in WWE in 1995

Andre was 39 in 85

Miz, Ziggler, Bryan were not top guys in 2010. If you rewind back to Feb 2010 top guys in WWE were Cena, HHH, Undertaker, Batista, Michaels, Edge, Orton, Jericho, Mysterio and maybe Sheamus who was getting push around this time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Where is the problem? AJ for example is still one of the best... and in other Companies the main male Champion is 49 years old (AEW) and 52 years old (ROH)...

·
Registered
20,044 Posts
This is good point. A lot of the returning, older wrestlers are being held for big Network specials. Many in the middle east. It's a blessing in disguise. If you don't want older talents and don't want to support blood money, it's a win-win for you.

If an older wrestler wants to work a full schedule like the younger, and is over, I see no reason for them to leave. When you're older, not over, and there (Cena), then I understand the argument. I also don't hold stock in who is the main event. If Undertaker and Goldberg close a show where I get Cesaro v Rollins for 25 minutes halfway through, I'm supremely happy because I can dip out early.
I feel the same on main events, as long as somewhere I get what I want the card order is irrelevant. Though that's just conditioning from being a Kane fan lol.

·
Fearless University Graduate
14,978 Posts
Its because the current roster all suck, the current roster don't draw, the current roster drive fans away.

Now there is a caveat to this though; the WWE handpick the dullest, most boring, least talented, laziest, and just generally worst people on their roster and push them to the moon. Everyone else is an irrelevant jobber. Anyone who has talent and works hard is an irrelevant jobber. So its a self fulfilling prophecy. WWE's current roster dont draw and all feel like jobbers or just in the case of the shit the push; complete garbage so they need real Stars from the past to pad the roster out.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
This is insanity. Younger people are getting a lot of opportunities. I can agree with the fact that WWE have been failing at booking them and making them feel like true stars, and that has hurt the product. But saying Edge, Sheamus, Morrison and Orton are old farts that need to retire is so foolish and incredibly stupid I can hardly believe OP isn't a troll. All of them are in a great shape and they're not even as old. And Big Show is probably just going to elevate young talent. Also, if younger wrestlers haven't become stars, 'part timers' and 'old farts' aren't at fault. Younger people have gotten tons of exposition in weekly shows and PPVs. Come on.

·
Registered
832 Posts
A lot of the new guys are good in the ring but lack charisma and storytelling skills and don’t get my wrong creative hasn’t been good but a lot of these newer guys just don’t have it.

·
Asuka
96,466 Posts
38-42 is not old.

Tom Brady is 42 and still top guy in nfl. Vince Carter is 43 and still playing in NBA. Mayweather would be top guy in boxing at 42 still and Brock Lesnar would be maineventing ppvs if he joined UFC tomorrow.

Randy Orton is 39. Are you telling me Hulk Hogan should have retired in 1992, Randy Savage in 91, Ric Flair in 1988, Bret Hart in 1996, Kevin Nash in 1998, Sting in 1998, Scott Hall in 1997?
It's not their literal age that's the problem, it's the amount of time they've been around. Watching guys from 25 fucking years ago constantly gets grating as FUCK.

·
Registered
381 Posts
The new talent is not good. That's why the old timers keep coming back
The older talent is just as bad. Wrestler need to retire after they hit early-mid 40's. Even AJ is declining. The guys WWE is bringing back are like 46-55 lol they are old as fuck

·
I'm the world's greatest superhero. I can do whate
20,282 Posts
It is ironic that back in the day they ran those Nacho Man / Huckster skits when those guys were only in their early 40s. And now they got guys even in their 50s still around.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's not their literal age that's the problem, it's the amount of time they've been around. Watching guys from 25 fucking years ago constantly gets grating as FUCK.
They're only ever around because the WWE is desperate for people to remember they still exist. They want the crowd that refers to them to this day as the WWF to come back, but they never do.

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
The reason why they always bring old talent back every now and again is because the majority of their audience is over 50+.

I always laugh when people say "Oh, look at this X old guy, he has more charisma just by APPEARING than everyone on the current roster!"

Um, no. The real reason why those old guys get a bigger pop is because the audience is 40-50+ manchilds stuck in their nostalgia for the product they watched 20 years ago when they were still young men or teens. Nothing gets a bigger pop, in virtually EVERY medium, than nostalgia.

They simply have not been able to replace their aging audience with a younger one. If the WWE had been able to successfully appeal to a younger audience, then the PROPER reaction for those old guys would be crowds not knowing who these old guys from 15-20 years ago are.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Edge returning was the breaking point for me. WWE is right back to where they were a few years ago, relying way too much on old farts and part timers and not enough on younger guys. I have no interest in seeing some 46 year old dude come back and take a spot away from a younger, more deserving, full time talent. Even worse, he's going to be facing another guy who's washed up and needs to retire (Orton) All these guys need to know when to call it quits and let the younger talent get their time. John Morrison, Sheamus, Big Show, Lesnar, Edge, Orton, Styles, and many more all need to fuck off.
To be fair, Edge never really drew as a performer. He drew in other ways.

Lesnar brings a certain legitimacy to wrestling that others don't. Lesnar is a ME guy who is over regardless of how many people whine and complain about how he's part time and holding the belt hostage and blah blah. Lesnar leaving will be a big loss to the WWE.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts