Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Edge returning was the breaking point for me. WWE is right back to where they were a few years ago, relying way too much on old farts and part timers and not enough on younger guys. I have no interest in seeing some 46 year old dude come back and take a spot away from a younger, more deserving, full time talent. Even worse, he's going to be facing another guy who's washed up and needs to retire (Orton) All these guys need to know when to call it quits and let the younger talent get their time. John Morrison, Sheamus, Big Show, Lesnar, Edge, Orton, Styles, and many more all need to fuck off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Reason for old wrestlers coming back is wwe were unable to make that next face of the company guy, they had so many opportunities in my opinion but they kept relaying on john cena instead of focusing on current roster the writing for some of those current superstar are so bad, so in their mind bringing back old wrestlers is gonna help bring back old audience i mean that might have worked back then but does it have the same affect now ? I don't think so and in time those legend are gonna get older so I question what wwe is gonna do by that time or is it gonna be to late

·
Registered
20,044 Posts
Eh this doesn't really make much sense anymore. Not to say I couldn't do without wrestlers from my childhood still being around. But the vast majority are isolated to their Saudis Arabia spin off series. Then the rest of the older folk are full time Orton, AJ, and Rey then Lesnar is part time but more frequent than in previous years.

·
Registered
11,141 Posts
38-42 is not old.

Tom Brady is 42 and still top guy in nfl. Vince Carter is 43 and still playing in NBA. Mayweather would be top guy in boxing at 42 still and Brock Lesnar would be maineventing ppvs if he joined UFC tomorrow.

Randy Orton is 39. Are you telling me Hulk Hogan should have retired in 1992, Randy Savage in 91, Ric Flair in 1988, Bret Hart in 1996, Kevin Nash in 1998, Sting in 1998, Scott Hall in 1997?

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
What used to take place was more roster attrition and refreshening due to injuries and competition.

Let's compare the Top 10 of WWE in 1985 vs 1990 vs 1995:

Ten years later, only Bret Hart remained from the 1995 roster. Meanwhile, let's have a look at 2010 vs 2015 vs 2020:

Half of the wrestlers from the 2010 roster are still active in the WWE ten years later.

·
Premium Member
16,592 Posts
Eh this doesn't really make much sense anymore. Not to say I couldn't do without wrestlers from my childhood still being around. But the vast majority are isolated to their Saudis Arabia spin off series. Then the rest of the older folk are full time Orton, AJ, and Rey then Lesnar is part time but more frequent than in previous years.
This is good point. A lot of the returning, older wrestlers are being held for big Network specials. Many in the middle east. It's a blessing in disguise. If you don't want older talents and don't want to support blood money, it's a win-win for you.

If an older wrestler wants to work a full schedule like the younger, and is over, I see no reason for them to leave. When you're older, not over, and there (Cena), then I understand the argument. I also don't hold stock in who is the main event. If Undertaker and Goldberg close a show where I get Cesaro v Rollins for 25 minutes halfway through, I'm supremely happy because I can dip out early.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I literally blame on Vince for not let his assets (superstar or talents) go big and outshine the company name and afraid they will pull Hogan who chased big payment (though it wouldn't be issue for them now), The Rock who decided to choose Hollywood and Lesnar who walked away to chase another career. He should be more proud if his talents get acknowledgement for large scale not just as WWE worker.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
What used to take place was more roster attrition and refreshening due to injuries and competition.

Let's compare the Top 10 of WWE in 1985 vs 1990 vs 1995:

View attachment 82605

Ten years later, only Bret Hart remained from the 1995 roster. Meanwhile, let's have a look at 2010 vs 2015 vs 2020:

View attachment 82606

Half of the wrestlers from the 2010 roster are still active in the WWE ten years later.
Your information is deliberately misleading though. You aren't accounting for the age/experience of the performers in 1985 guys like Muraco, Andre, Orton and many other guys on the 1985 roster were at least their mid-thirties with long careers. Of course, there was going to be a noticeable change over between them and the top guys in 1995. There is a big difference between them and guys like Randy Orton, Miz, Ziggler, Sheamus, and Daniel Bryan who in 2010 were 30 or younger with the exception of Sheamus who was 32. There is bound to be less turnover when you are utilizing younger performers with less mileage on them. You also have to remember that guys like Hogan and Savage were huge parts of wrestling in 1995 just in a different company and WWF's attempt to skew younger in the wake of Hogan's departure led to overutilization of people like Piper, Backlund, and Lawler who by that point were north of forty themselves. Truth be told WWF/E or any company leaning on older wrestlers is hardly new. It happens every generation. Whether you like it or not it's how things work. The scientific advances in performance and training and the onus put on not doing stupid things have also contributed to performers being able to perform at a high level longer which obviously adds longevity to their stay at the top of the mountain.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well , better start cheering and supporting the current generation of wrestlers like Roman , Seth , Drew , KO , Wyatt etc instead of hijacking their segments and forcing Wwe to bring older guys

·
Registered
726 Posts
It's sad that Edge (retired, and was a second-tier main eventer at best in his prime) gets a bigger pop than anyone on the current roster.

·
ROWDY RODDY PIPER
10,808 Posts
Where they were years ago?

where have you been?

They’ve been doing this forever. Undertaker is a prime example. This shit isn’t new.

·
Registered
490 Posts
38-42 is not old.

Tom Brady is 42 and still top guy in nfl. Vince Carter is 43 and still playing in NBA. Mayweather would be top guy in boxing at 42 still and Brock Lesnar would be maineventing ppvs if he joined UFC tomorrow.

Randy Orton is 39. Are you telling me Hulk Hogan should have retired in 1992, Randy Savage in 91, Ric Flair in 1988, Bret Hart in 1996, Kevin Nash in 1998, Sting in 1998, Scott Hall in 1997?
All but one of those guys bounced between promotions to keep fan interest and the other one, Sting, completely changed his gimmick.

Orton has been the same for a decade.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts