Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know some of you don't like to admit it, but sadly it's the truth. I think the tie thing has to cement it in people's head now, WWE is more like a rated G product. Whether people like to admit it or not, a lot of people watch(ed) the WWE for the story, the acting, what happens leading up to a match, what random things happen on the show. All these things are something that entertain you and lead you up to the match, which is the icing on the cake. Just seeing a good match without a GOOD back story isn't good enough for a lot of people that watch the WWE. But the thing is, in my opinion, it's hard to get someone over the age of 15 excited leading up to a match with this G type of rated show.

Now the reason I say WWE is a G rated show is because look at what happens when you compare it to other PG rated era's, and no I am not just talking about 1998-2001. First off do you all remember when a King Cobra bit Macho Man Randy Savage? The commentators really put it over and acted like Savage could ultimately die that night if he didn't receive medical attention. That was pretty scary as a kid, but it kept us watching. The kids don't have much to fear today other then some "straight edge" guy coming to the barricade and stareing at them. Moreover do you remember that that when Ultimate Warrior was locked in a coffin by the Undertaker? Savage had to come to his aid but couldn't get the coffin open and it was played as UW was suffocating to death. Very freaky. Would something of that nature happen in the WWE today? Hell no.

A lot of people blame the writing. While I admit it is bad, I don't think the writers should be solely blamed. Do you guys really think the writing team really think like a bunch of kids? I am sure Stephanie McMahon or the others have thought about something freaky and over the top that is freaky and edgy. But they just aren't allowed to do it because the product seems to be solely directed towards kids. The only thing I can see why the adults watch is because of the actual matches. They see it as an art and enjoyable, that is fine. But I can't see many adults watching and being excited over the likes of John Cena saying stuff like Poopy and Hornswoggle getting a lot of air time.

Many people here keep defending the WWE, but wouldn't you watch it to be entertaining in all aspects and not just one (the wrestling)? Unless you are a kid of course, but I do not see many on this message board. Surely this can't be good for the product you love and support since you were a kid. The future is also changing. More people and even high school kids are into MMA now. It's not just the UFC either, a lot of kids, and i'm talking about kids in their pre teen years are learning things like Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Judo, Karate, etc. I know kids have learned this stuff let's say 10 years ago, but it's more popular now then before. I don't see nearly as much kids aspiring to be a pro wrestler or a WWE super star. Their are still some out there, but times have changed. Also the kids and people who train in this Martial Arts have a lot of self discipline and a serious nature to them. Which therefore doesn't really make the WWE attractive to them because it's a really childish product, and that's just the plain truth guys, it's not bashing it.

So I think the WWE need to change their product and try to gain a more broad fan base. I'm not saying make it so the kid's don't watch, just try to gain more viewers according to the times. How they gonna do that? I'm not sure, that is up to Vince and Stephanie and whomever else to figure out. But they are pretty low on the totem pole when it comes to entertainment of today.

·
Registered
889 Posts
A thread about PG, how original.

Why should WWE want to change from what they're currently doing? You mention people turning to UFC/MMA, what do you want WWE to do about that? No matter what product they put out or how they market themselves WWE aren't going to be able to compete with UFC because they're always be 'that fake wrestling shit'. Going after that market would be stupid.

I think the the writer's are at fault a lot more than you make them out to be, somebody bought up Pixar in a similar thread and it's a great example. Most (if not all) of their films are G rated, but people don't complain about that because the writing is excellent. A good writer should be able to work with the restrictions being placed on them, unfortunately it seems that the current crop of WWE writers seem unable to do that.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
They're taking the PG rating to seriously.

Look at tv shows that are PG rated today, all of them have much worse language than WWE and even have blood too but WWE doesn't have any of those.

·
Registered
49 Posts
why do these threads keep popping up everyday these pg bashing threads are old stale are tired just like attitude era sheep

·
Registered
725 Posts
I'm not sure, that is up to Vince and Stephanie and whomever else to figure out. But they are pretty low on the totem pole when it comes to entertainment of today.
RAW is a regular in the top 5 - top 10 in weekly Neilson cable ratings.

Yeah, they are doing horrible and are in a state of crisis and chaos.

oh the IWC ... a bunch of 20-30 year-old men bitching that the current times aren't like the old times.

This begs the least answered question in the IWC - if you don't like it, why do you still watch it?

FWIW, I found half of your post to be irrelevant bullshit.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't know about the american culture, but are the ratings really so big thing there? I mean here in Finland the age limits don't mean a shit, only thing they affect is the starting time of the program. For example WWE, which age limit for some reason is 15, can't start before 9 pm... Who the **** over 6 years old is sleeping at that time? Though I understand you have several time-zones so it's a bit different thing.

I've been watching these movies and series since I learned to read the subtitles. Yes, my mom sometimes tried to prohibit it, but then I just recorded the program on VHS or watched it secretly in my own room with low volume... And I ain't the only one, in fact my mom watched after me more than the most do... So do your parents really look after you so bad or why does the WWE have to be PG to get the attention of the kids?

God I miss the times I first saw WWE. The Rock was stucking boots in candy asses and Stone Cold was giving finger and stunner to everyone crossing his path... Now the "worst" thing I see/hear is Kane saying he's breaking Punk in two. "Wow, that's a shocker"

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RAW is a regular in the top 5 - top 10 in weekly Neilson cable ratings.

Yeah, they are doing horrible and are in a state of crisis and chaos.

oh the IWC ... a bunch of 20-30 year-old men bitching that the current times aren't like the old times.

This begs the least answered question in the IWC - if you don't like it, why do you still watch it?

FWIW, I found half of your post to be irrelevant bullshit.

I said I don't watch it anymore. But I am allowed to debate about it. I have seen a couple episodes from 2010, 2009. So i can voice my opinion. Do you want this forum just to be full of liking the WWE post and nothing negative?

·
That Balotelli Swag!
505 Posts
Attitude Era sheep, smh.

·
RESTINPEACE
1,182 Posts
To me WWE is no longer the top dog in the industry ROH is i fallow the independence now because im a die hard Pro Wrestling fan Vince only cares about the money WWE wont be PG13 again like it was in the 90s i dont know how any one can support the WWE right now when ROH and TNA is ten times better than was the WWE gives us and ROH delivers Pro Wrestling on a constant basis i haven't missed an ROH show yet support Pro Wrestling.

·
Premium Member
4,216 Posts
I said I don't watch it anymore. But I am allowed to debate about it. I have seen a couple episodes from 2010, 2009. So i can voice my opinion. Do you want this forum just to be full of liking the WWE post and nothing negative?
What is the point though, i dont like or watch cricket which is why i dont go on cricket forums typing 10 paragraph posts about how i dislike it.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What is the point though, i dont like or watch cricket which is why i dont go on cricket forums typing 10 paragraph posts about how i dislike it.
Because I use to love wrestling, and I feel that the WWE is so bad at this point I don't understand how grown ups could like the entertainment (the actual wrestling I can understand).

·
Registered
725 Posts
Certainly not. There are things about the WWE I dislike and I have no issue voicing them. I also do not have an issue with others voicing their likes/dislikes either.

But when you or any given person just wants to trash it to hell just for the sake of trashing it to hell, it serves no purpose or use to the board.

·
Premium Member
4,216 Posts
Because I use to love wrestling, and I feel that the WWE is so bad at this point I don't understand how grown ups could like the entertainment (the actual wrestling I can understand).
Well im 16 so i wouldnt consider myself an adult yet but their is still plenty of entertaining things in the wwe yes alot of the hornswoggle khali stuff is bullshit but guys like miz, jericho, punk and christian keep me entertained

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Certainly not. There are things about the WWE I dislike and I have no issue voicing them. I also do not have an issue with others voicing their likes/dislikes either.

But when you or any given person just wants to trash it to hell just for the sake of trashing it to hell, it serves no purpose or use to the board.
I am just trashing it for no reason at all. I just want to raise awareness because sometimes it feels like there are people that just ignore the bad. It's the same on an MMA board, some people just ignore the bad and think all of MMA is perfect and nothing is wrong with it. But then there are people who come on there and raise the awareness on how some parts of MMA can be boring, etc, and I have no problem with that.

·
Banned
47 Posts
If I had to blame one person, I would blame Linda McMahon. She and her political team have kept the WWE very kid friendly because she is running a campaign based on family values.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts