Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I actually applied for this or a very similar job with them a few years back. I went through a good portion of the process but ultimately didn't get it because of not having a college degree. They should give a guy like me a fair chance, I have been watching for 25 years and have ideas.
I'm not upset about it though, writing songs and poetry is what I prefer and I've found success there.

The real point of this post is this, yes I applied and got an interview, it was exciting but the job listing looked almost identical to this. At the time (for about the 10th year in a row) news broke that WWE wanted better writing. Has much changed? How about going with someone fresh who HAS NOT worked on reality tv, kind of a silly requirement. I do genuinely hope the writing gets better.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I'll do it as long as I'm given a generous payoff when fired. At least I'll get at least 3 weeks of sensible storylines that matter week-to-week and pays off at the PPV before Vince fires me for telling him to fuck off and his ideas are shit! I'll get a nice little earner out of it but I need to tell my work I need 3 weeks off.
Or

1) Act you know a little about WWE but LOVE the entertainment aspect
2) Never utter the word wrestling, belt, hospital etc
3) Set up a local media interview where you proclaim Paul Levesque the greatest of all time. Spam it.
4) Encourage more cinematic matches, pushing big guys, silly comedy. Brownnose Dunn
5) Feed garbage to Meltzer how you're responsible for anything good. Have it suggested Khan wants to poach you.
6) Sign a huge contract, or jump ship, do very little, jump back
7) Suggest crazy shit and get released with a nice payoff
8) Find a new promoter to leach off. Preferably a middle aged woman with no wrestling experience
9) Make money from a eternal array of podcasts, shoots and the speaking circuit

You'll make millions

·
Registered
236 Posts
Or

1) Act you know a little about WWE but LOVE the entertainment aspect
2) Never utter the word wrestling, belt, hospital etc
3) Set up a local media interview where you proclaim Paul Levesque the greatest of all time. Spam it.
4) Encourage more cinematic matches, pushing big guys, silly comedy. Brownnose Dunn
5) Feed garbage to Meltzer how you're responsible for anything good. Have it suggested Khan wants to poach you.
6) Sign a huge contract, or jump ship, do very little, jump back
7) Suggest crazy shit and get released with a nice payoff
8) Find a new promoter to leach off. Preferably a middle aged woman with no wrestling experience
9) Make money from a eternal array of podcasts, shoots and the speaking circuit

You'll make millions
Just saved me ever reading Russo's book :) i like it

·
Springboard diving into Bianca's bed.
Le catch.
1,170 Posts
Its safe to assume most WF posters are legit going to apply

·
Registered
14,377 Posts
Applicant must have no self-esteem and must not at all be willing to stand up to Vince.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
I actually applied for this or a very similar job with them a few years back. I went through a good portion of the process but ultimately didn't get it because of not having a college degree. They should give a guy like me a fair chance, I have been watching for 25 years and have ideas.
I'm not upset about it though, writing songs and poetry is what I prefer and I've found success there.

The real point of this post is this, yes I applied and got an interview, it was exciting but the job listing looked almost identical to this. At the time (for about the 10th year in a row) news broke that WWE wanted better writing. Has much changed? How about going with someone fresh who HAS NOT worked on reality tv, kind of a silly requirement. I do genuinely hope the writing gets better.
Found it interesting they want a degree, specifically in film/tv, always assumed it was just experience and links that mattered for these sort of roles considering most bookers and even writers either don't have degrees or if so have them in stuff like english or history?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Found it interesting they want a degree, specifically in film/tv, always assumed it was just experience and links that mattered for these sort of roles considering most bookers and even writers either don't have degrees or if so have them in stuff like english or history?
My point exactly. Experience and creativity is what should matter. The whole world of creative writing has changed. They want degrees, period. I am a prideful person and I take pride in my work I have loads of experience in ghostwriting for others and a passion for making my own stuff as well but with no degree it's a huge longshot to get a big writing gig. I disagree with this tremendously.

It's DIY or die for the talented people.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
They could have just had a very short job description.

As WWE Lead Writer your job will be -
  • Get the ratings up.
  • Write stuff that Vince likes.
*We at the WWE realize these goals are often mutually exclusive and that whoever gets the job is ultimately doomed to failure because of this.

·
Premium Member
Geekslayer
8,763 Posts
They should hire Russo and Cornette and just film them writing the show and broadcast that.
I actually loved the Legends House show they did, especially with Piper being a loner. A Manager/Backstage staff Legends House with Russo, Cornette, Bruce Prichard, Kevin Dunn, Heyman, Bischoff, etc would be must watch stuff, at least until all the murders Cornette would end up committing. Throw in Ole Anderson, Jim Herd, and Jerry Jarrett and it might end up being the greatest thing ever filmed.

On the position itself, they left off "Must write on paper that is easily torn apart by a 75 year old man."

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
My point exactly. Experience and creativity is what should matter. The whole world of creative writing has changed. They want degrees, period. I am a prideful person and I take pride in my work I have loads of experience in ghostwriting for others and a passion for making my own stuff as well but with no degree it's a huge longshot to get a big writing gig. I disagree with this tremendously.

It's DIY or die for the talented people.
Yeah I agree. I'm not someone who looks down on certain university degrees like others (I'm sure you can learn some interesting stuff and maybe get some work experience) but it shouldn't be essential for this sort of gig.

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
The writers also must have a ball to push the storyline they have created to Vince and tell him that this is a good thing. Rather than be just another yes-man, afraid to be fired.
The reason why they are afraid to be fired is that history shows they indeed WILL be fired most of the time when they go against Vince.

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
The fact that they have "writers” is one of the reasons why wrestling is dying. What a joke.
WWE approach of 1997 and 1998 of shades of gray they threw out the window was their demise.

There was a bit of it in 2000, but it became too "Hollywood" when you know they almost ruined an easy to book Rock vs Hogan build up.

Whoever applies to that job will get the Bischoff treatment lol. Fired within months.

That's the other thing about 1997-98. Vince was DESPERATE to compete with WCW and would work with ideas.

Moneybags Vince with corporate power of 2020? Not so much.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
You're working with either talent who thinks your ideas are dumb, talent who doesn't care about your ideas, or talent who doesn't understand your ideas.

You're working with executives who think your ideas are dumb.

If you're outside the WWE then they think that all your ideas are dumb because you don't understand the wrestling business.

If you're from the wrestling business they think all your ideas are dumb because you weren't as successful as the WWE or you had some bad angles.

Sounds like the greatest job in the world.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts