Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They have no stars. Even if Corona didn't hit this years WM was looking like the worst since WM 2. Alexa barely even wrestles. Lesnar is beyond old as champ. It's just over for WWE. Unless they revamp their product. I don't see why they don't try something different. This same formula does not work these days. It's been the same show since 2008. It's such bull shit they don't even try to make the product more exciting.

·
The Fastest of the Fastest of Jamaican Sprinters
3,701 Posts
They have no stars. Even if Corona didn't hit this years WM was looking like the worst since WM 2.
Why do people spout hyperbolic nonsense? You either didn’t see WrestleMania IX, XI, XXVII, or XXXII, you have no earthly idea what you’re talking about, or you just use exaggeration as a crutch like the rest of the mental midgets.

Damn.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
“Alexa doesn’t even wrestle” being the first thing you wrote after those first 2 sentences is very funny.

Im on the other end. I’m bummed at Mania because I actually liked what they were doing with the card.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
“Alexa doesn’t even wrestle” being the first thing you wrote after those first 2 sentences is very funny.

Im on the other end. I’m bummed at Mania because I actually liked what they were doing with the card.
Agreed.

The matches would have been great with an audience. Mcintyre vs Lesnar, Orton vs Edge, AJ Styles vs Undertaker, The Fiend vs John Cena for sure would have had them interested and invested.

·
IRAN #1
2,314 Posts
Brock is a star, Alexa is not.. They're still trying to use Brock to get over talent like they did with Roman and Seth.. and Alexa doesn't wrestle much because she's not good at it.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
I actually thought this year's Mania was shaping up to be one of the better ones in recent years. Wasn't crazy about Goldberg coming in out of nowhere to claim a main event spot, but overall it was shaping up pretty strongly.

The WWE product started pretty hot at the beginning of 2020. The first handful of Raws were strong especially, and the Royal Rumble 2020 was a really great show IMO. Shoehorning a Saudi show messed with the build to Mania, and now the corona thing has absolutely affected things, but on paper, Wrestlemania was looking potentially excellent.

Brock Lesnar vs. Drew McIntyre- people have been crying out forever for WWE to build new stars, and they've basically rolled the dice with McIntyre. I think it's paid off. McIntyre looks confident and credible, and the Rumble Match was a genuine case of elevating someone to the main event, something that hasn't occured in years. McIntyre's crowd reactions were getting better and better, Lesnar's sold like a trooper, and we're in for a hoss battle at Mania.

Edge vs. Orton. Best story WWE is doing at the moment. The return of Edge was MASSIVE. It's too bad the dirtsheets spoiled it, but it was still an iconic moment. Randy Orton's heel turn was another massive angle, and his promos and segments are the best of his entire career by a considerable distance.

AJ Styles vs. Undertaker. While I think Taker realistically should have ended it at Wrestlemania 33, I like that AJ is getting the feather in his cap of a Mania match with the Undertaker. He's still a legend, and at this stage, getting a match with him means you're thought of highly. I like the different approach of going "shoot" with it- we've seen rivalries take that approach before, but not really with the Undertaker, who until recent years had such a strongly protected mystique.

Roman Reigns vs. Goldberg. Like I said, wasn't crazy about Big Bill just sliding in and taking out The Fiend. Thought it was a bit fucked up honestly. But... Roman has stepped up his mic work in the past couple of weeks, and I thought both Reigns and Goldberg did an excellent job selling intensity during their contract signing. So, I'm mildly hopeful that Goldberg has one more Wrestlemania 33 performance left in him. I'm also hopeful that we get more of a Wrestlemania 31 performance from Roman.

John Cena vs. The Fiend. I enjoy the logic behind The Fiend targeting John Cena. It makes sense for Wyatt to have been "broken" by that loss to Cena at Wrestlemania 30, and they also had a really strong face to face promo on Smackdown.

I really don't know how they're going to pull off Wrestlemania in this current state. But I disagree that it was bad before the coronavirus. And saying that WWE is dead is a ridiculous amount of hyperbole. It happens all the time on here. I feel like anyone that tries to start a "THIS IS THE WORST EVER" topic on here should be forced to watch 1993-1996 WWF or 2009-2011 WWE before being allowed to post their opinion.

·
Registered
161 Posts
My bad. I should've checked that before I posted. I actually didn't mean to include XX, and XXX. And the other one was supposed to be XVII.
Wait I hope you just don't know your roman numerals you're saying Wrestlemania 17 is terible? Stone Cold Rock, Undertaker/HHH, 3 way TLC, Angle/Benoit, Jericho/Regal, THAT WRESTLEMANIA?

·
The Ayatolla of Rock N Rolla
5,087 Posts
The WWE was miles better in 2008 compared to 2020. The last 2/3 years have been void of any character development, stand out era defining moments, captivating storylines etc. At least in 2008, you had engaging feuds like Y2J vs Shawn Michaels, even cena vs batista was entertaining. You had Cena's return at the rumble etc. 2008 was memorable. This year and the last 2/3 years have been so forgettable

·
Registered
11,410 Posts
The WWE was miles better in 2008 compared to 2020. The last 2/3 years have been void of any character development, stand out era defining moments, captivating storylines etc. At least in 2008, you had engaging feuds like Y2J vs Shawn Michaels, even cena vs batista was entertaining. You had Cena's return at the rumble etc. 2008 was memorable. This year and the last 2/3 years have been so forgettable
2008 is one of WWEs best ever years creatively. At least the years I have been watching 86-present.

None of last 2-3 years have come close to matching it creatively but it's also incorrect to say no standout moments or character development. The top full time star on roster right now was a white meat midcard female babyface on the b show just 2 years ago. The Fiend is a clear character development, Bayley character has completely changed, Rollins now thinks he is Jesus. Bryan going from yes man to heel hippy was pretty big character change.

Rousey debut at rumble was a big fucking moment in wwe history. Her debut match at Wrestlemania 34 had the most eyes ever in history on a pro wrestling event blowing away networks record subs. First all female ppv which would have been unthinkable 2 years earlier selling out likes of Survivor Series 2001, 04, 10 or 12. Women maineventing Wrestlemania, edge return after 9 years away at Rumble, Kofi winning WWE title at Wrestlemania, beatbox Brock

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'd be down with a dead WWE if the audience and talent migrated the AEW, ROH, Impact etc. And NXT survives.

Vince is years past his best, Stephanie would be suited running a daytime TV network and Kevin Dunn sounds like a moron. The geeky writers can fuck off back to being a runner for third rate 'reality' tv garbage. The WWE is basically a cancer to the industry at this point in time.

·
The Fastest of the Fastest of Jamaican Sprinters
3,701 Posts
Agreed 100% on 2008. It's possible that year gets a bad rap because it's sandwiched by two of the most miserable, intolerable years in WWE history.

2020 was actually looking up relative to previous years, since they at least attempted to push new stars and create storylines for a bigger chunk of the roster. 2016-2019 was an intolerable slog, a miasma of Roman Reigns dominance in a post-Cena world devoid of any character or heart.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts