Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After Randy Orton's face turn flopped he lost to Triple H at New Year's Revolution and at Royal Rumble, then he challenged The Udnertaker for a match at WrestleMania 21 and turned Heel after RKO'ing Stacy Keibler.

Shawn Michaels had brief Heel run while feuding with Hulk Hogan, even though it was short it was quite memorable and he was Heel in the SmackDown! vs. Raw 2006 game that was released later that year, and in case you don't know WWE tells THQ/Jakks what storylines and Superstarts to include in their games so it really wasn't a meaningless turn.

Chris Jericho is another big example, after Cena was drafted to Raw Jericho assaulted him after a Tag Team match and thus turned Heel, then left the Company in late August in one of the Raws after SummerSlam.

Eddie Guerrero's Heel turn was being slowly built after his match with Rey Mysterio at WrestleMania 21 and then he turned by assaulting Mysterio in a SmackDown! episode in late April/early May leading to a match at Judgement Day.

Shelton Benjamin was a midcard jobber and might have turned as late as December that year but was still a Heel turn.

As for an even better example of a midcard jobber what about The Hurricane? Not only he turned but also had a gimmick change by dropping the Superhero gimmick and becoming Gregory Helms which would lead to his very long Cruiserweight Title in the next year on SmackDown!

While not very relevant Linda McMahon turned Heel for the very first time by firing JR on screen and kicking him in the balls.

As for Divas there was the infamous Lita Heel turn by becoming Edge's girlfriend and speaking of Edge while he technically turned in late 2004 I gues you could argue that he only became a Heel by early 2005.

You'll probably say that this thread is kind of pointless and I agree that it seems at first since every year there's a few turns but think about it, in the same year Orton, HBK, Y2J and Eddie Guerrero turned Heel, it's true that HBK's was short lived but still.
Now compare it with the Face turns, who turned Face in 2005? Batista, Ric Flair and Trish Stratus are pretty much the ones I can think of from the top of my head and only Batista truly was a top star, Flair while beign a Legend was a midcarder and Trish even though she was the biggest name in the Women's Division Lita was second to her and she turned Heel in the middle of the year.

Was there any other year in the WWE with alot of turns mainly in the Main Event scene?

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Booker T also turned heel in 2005.
I knew I was forgetting someone, can't believe I forgot about him! That Heel turn was a smart idea since Sharmell was hanging around with him at the time and it's usually Heels who have a Valet/Manager, and it also helped him becoming World Champion in 2006.

·
Registered
9,728 Posts
Not sure if this counts, but after HHH left in July 2005, he returned in October and I think he had a tag match with Flair who was babyface by that point, and I think he was the IC champ as well. Anyway HHH was treated as a face like he usually does when he returns, but after the match he turned heel by attacking Flair.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
1998 had many heel turns,as did 1999 and 2000.The WWF's writer until October 1999 was notorious for it!

Mick Foley
The Undertaker
The Rock
Ken Shamrock
Owen Hart
Shane McMahon

All of the above turned heel that year,it addition to the low and midcard wrestlers such as Taka Michinoku,Mark Henry,Edge,Barry Windham,Paul Ellering and Droz.

Then in 1999 even more heel turns occurred:

Triple H
Chyna
X -Pac
Billy Gunn (twice)
British Bulldog
Roaddogg
Steve Blackman
Val Venis
Hardy Boyz
Mark Henry
Sable