Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all love the Attitude Era and all, however in terms of star power WWE was at its peak in 2003. I mean look at the roster: Austin, Rock, Hogan, Lesnar, Angle, Goldberg, Undertaker, Triple H, Michaels, Jericho, Kane Flair, Big Show, Cena, Eddie, Booker, Batista, Orton, Hardies, Mysterio, Edge, Dudleys and many others. Also divas: Trish, Lita, Stacy, Sable etc. Also, authority figures: Bischoff (the best Raw GM imo), Stephanie and Heyman on Smackdown. And of course, Mr Mcmahon more evil and more active than any other year.

I dont think there has been another period that the company had a better roster than 2003. The Attitude era was the peak of wrestling in general, but 2003 was WWE's peak on many other levels. What do you guys think?

· Registered
587 Posts
Not trying to be that guy but guys like Orton and Batista were still rookies.
Not the stars they are today. Edge was being groomed for stardom. The Hardyz
were popular, but not as popular as they are today, Eddie Guerrero was still
tagging with Chavo/Tajiri one or the other, but other than that the roster was
stacked. Add RVD and Kevin Nash in there as well.

I know you want to include those guys I mentioned earlier but they have not
yet reached that level of "Superstar" yet especially in 2003. I do agree that
the roster was great with experienced veterans and great up and comers. If only we
had a roster like that today.

· Registered
7,988 Posts
2003 was a great year for WWE easily the best since 2000 and best post AE year for sure. They had a even roster of top guys like HHH Angle Lesnar and the next gen guys with Orton Cena Batista etc. Just a damned good year for WWE everything clicked into place

· Registered
56 Posts
I don't know It may have been a peak, cuz I stopped watching weekly for a while right around 2004.
It wasn't til Jewel guest hosted that WWE peaked my interest again. Got me watching weekly again.

As far as Goldberg and his star power. I don't think he had any lasting power in WWE and was just a lot of hype.

· The Cornerstone Of The Corner Store
3,386 Posts
2003 is my favorite year ever of WWE, but that's probably because that's when I started watching again when I lost sight of it. So it has a special place in my heart hehe. But other then that, storylines were great, fantastic roster, belts actually had prestige, tag team division was alive, diva's put up very decent matches...

· Banned
4,265 Posts
2003 had an incredible roster, but it was badly misused. Hollywood Rock was pretty immense though.

Raw was pretty crappy that year If I remember correctly, but SD was pretty ace with Heymen writing.

Had the potential to be the best ever year for WWE, but the writing let it down.

Still, its HUGELY, and I mean HUGELY better than anything we have had for the past 3 or 4 years. (HBK-Jericho and HBK-Taker aside)

· Registered
3,895 Posts
I'd have to say yes, along with 2002, so around 2002-2003 was STACKED.

Although 1990 is underrated in terms of star power and established stars, one of the best years by far.
Hogan, Warrior, Andre for a few months, Savage, Dusty, Piper, Bad News, Earthquake, DiBiase, Snake, Hennig, debut of Taker, Rude, Brutus, you name it.

· Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2003 is my favorite year ever of WWE, but that's probably because that's when I started watching again when I lost sight of it. So it has a special place in my heart hehe. But other then that, storylines were great, fantastic roster, belts actually had prestige, tag team division was alive, diva's put up very decent matches...
I agree 100%

· Registered
90 Posts
Although 1990 is underrated in terms of star power and established stars, one of the best years by far.
Hogan, Warrior, Andre for a few months, Savage, Dusty, Piper, Bad News, Earthquake, DiBiase, Snake, Hennig, debut of Taker, Rude, Brutus, you name it.
Agree. Dont forget the tag teams. 1990 had Legion of Doom, Hart Foundation, Demolotion, Rockers

· Registered
7,601 Posts
I have always believed 2002 to have had the best roster in wrestling history in regards to star power with Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock, Hulk Hogan, Triple H, The Undertaker, Kurt Angle, Shawn Michaels, Chris Jericho, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Kane, Brock Lesnar, The Big Show, Booker T, Ric Flair, Eddie Guerrero, Diamond Dallas Page, Rob Van Dam and then The Hardys, The Dudley Boys, Los Guerrero's and The APA all there and this amount of star power is why WWE had to go with splitting Raw and SmackDown into two seperate roster's.

Just like in 2003 though the booking in 2002 didn't really help what WWE had on their roster and they ended up misusing a lot of the talent that they had, i will simply say Diamond Dallas Page and then leave it at that. 2003 saw WWE lose Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock early in the year and Hulk Hogan as well whilst Kevin Nash was injured and Scott Hall had long been released, the only major signing that WWE made was Goldberg but he was not as big as the people that they had lost.

· A Poster with Impeccable Style
432 Posts
I agree that on paper 2003 looked incredible. However, like mentioned above, you can have all the talent in the world, but if it's misused the amount of the talent is useless. I have always felt that people will turn in for exciting, interesting wrestling or emotional impactful storylines. Having both is like lightning in a bottle.

· Registered
1,302 Posts
I thought 2002 was much better, especially from a ppv point of view. Some of those 2003 ppv's were brutal(judgment day, bad blood, no mercy).

All those big names were around at some point in 2002, Cena, Orton and Batista all made their debuts. It was a great year!

2003 Raw was pretty bad after Wrestlemania.Kevin Nash in two title matches in a row, the Goldberg title run... pretty brutal stuff.

· Banned
266 Posts
We all love the Attitude Era and all, however in terms of star power WWE was at its peak in 2003. I mean look at the roster: Austin, Rock, Hogan, Lesnar, Angle, Goldberg, Undertaker, Triple H, Michaels, Jericho, Kane Flair, Big Show, Cena, Eddie, Booker, Batista, Orton, Hardies, Mysterio, Edge, Dudleys and many others. Also divas: Trish, Lita, Stacy, Sable etc. Also, authority figures: Bischoff (the best Raw GM imo), Stephanie and Heyman on Smackdown. And of course, Mr Mcmahon more evil and more active than any other year.

I dont think there has been another period that the company had a better roster than 2003. The Attitude era was the peak of wrestling in general, but 2003 was WWE's peak on many other levels. What do you guys think?
Damn,only thing you need to do to prove someone why today's WWE suck so fuckin much is to compare that to today's roster.WHAT THE FUCK DID THEY DO TO WWE???????????????????????????

· Registered
548 Posts
Defently biggest star power and best roster in 2003 in my opinion, i really enjoyed WWE that despite Raw having several flaws but Smackdown was A-show in terms great storylines, matches and feuds like Kurt Angle vs Brock Lesnar. There were other instresting this as well like Rock & Cena being great and Paul Heymans writing was very good which why i wish he came back to the WWE write Smackdown.

· Registered
63 Posts
Brock Lesnar's star was shining so bright i couldn't really enjoy hasbeens like Goldberg for example. Evolution was a "piece of art" as well. I agree the roster looked awesome in 2003, but the transition period from the Attitude era had no other option but to "s*ck". And it went downhill from there..

· Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Defently biggest star power and best roster in 2003 in my opinion, i really enjoyed WWE that despite Raw having several flaws but Smackdown was A-show in terms great storylines, matches and feuds like Kurt Angle vs Brock Lesnar. There were other instresting this as well like Rock & Cena being great and Paul Heymans writing was very good which why i wish he came back to the WWE write Smackdown.
Heymans writing and on screen presence as the GM was awesome

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.