Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Former NWA president Howard Brody was on the latest episode of Jim Cornette's podcast. They were discussing the 1998 NWA invasion angle of the then WWF when it came up that WWE has the right to use all NWA trademarks and the NWA World Heavyweight title belt however they want. WWE does not own exclusive rights. They own the rights to use these things with no restrictions, in perpetuity. Cornette speculates on the podcast that WWE may not remember they have these rights.

tl;dr NWA was in dire straits in 1998 and needed exposure badly. To be allowed on WWF TV they had to sign a contract that basically said WWF held the right to use any and all NWA trademarks and the NWA WHC however they wished in perpetuity. Brody signed it believing that it didn't really matter since they were in so much trouble that it was worth it for the exposure.

I assumed WWE had made a deal with someone to not have to blur NWA footage, but didn't realize they had the rights that far back and that they had so much leeway with them. I doubt WWE will ever use any of it for anything outside of the NWA footage the own for the network, but it's interesting that they've had these options available to them for nearly 20 years.

What's funny is, WWE could have used this to screw over TNA back when they were NWA-TNA and used the NWA WHC. WWE, if they wanted could have put their version of the NWA WHC on WWE TV and put it on some jobber just to hurt the brand and there's nothing the NWA or TNA could have done about it. Could have done the same thing to ROH when the NWA WHC was being defended there. And conceivably if Corrigan's NWA does somehow become big enough to compete with WWE, WWE could do the same thing to him.

·
Premium Member
5,302 Posts
They never really saw TNA as true competition so I doubt they gave enough of a fuck to do that. Also, their modus operandi with TNA was always pretend they didn't exist whic honestly is a far better business plan than actively try to screw over another competitor on air which they did constantly against WCW which never really worked. I doubt TNA fans would actually stop watching because of it and it would only serve to make non-TNA fans hate WWE for such a low move and possibly introduce them to TNA.

Reactions: 2 Ton 21

·
Premium Member
9,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They never really saw TNA as true competition so I doubt they gave enough of a fuck to do that. Also, their modus operandi with TNA was always pretend they didn't exist whic honestly is a far better business plan than actively try to screw over another competitor on air which they did constantly against WCW which never really worked. I doubt TNA fans would actually stop watching because of it and it would only serve to make non-TNA fans hate WWE for such a low move and possibly introduce them to TNA.
Oh I agree that WWE wouldn't have done it considering how they treated TNA over the years. I just thought it interesting they had/have the option. I do think had TNA been closer to being a competitor they might have considered doing it because of how, as you mentioned, they reacted to WCW being one.

·
Premium Member
15,077 Posts
I don't think WWE would've cared enough to sabotage TNA or ROH in that regard, as it's not like their ties to the NWA really did that much for them. And in TNA's case, they could've just done what they eventually did and recognized their own champions.

On WWE's end, it's no real gain in exercising those rights, although that holds true for 1998, too.

What's funny to me is, a while back when Cornette & the other guy were talking about Billy Corgan buying the NWA, they couldn't really understand why or what he had actually bought. To hear this, Jesus, Corgan wants to be in the wrestling business bad. Because, to me, this made an already questionable purchase seem so much worse.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts