Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a long time now I've been sad that we no longer get the Jerry Lawler of old. The Lawler who sympathises and makes excuses for the heels, The Lawler who contradicts himself simply to win his side of the argument. I used to love his schtick with JR, and it was a shame when they diluted him and turned him into a standard announcer guy with no shades of gray.

And now we've Michael Cole, the guy who for over 10 years hasn't needed to do a thing or be written in a certain way to make people hate him. From the frosted tips in his hair, to the soul patch under his bottom lip, to the fact he always gives away a near fall in the way he announces - people have been able to find their own reasons to hate him. But now he's a bonefide heel announcer.

During RAW last night, and specifically the Alberto Del Rio segment, I noticed more than ever that they're now pretty much porting over all of Jerry's old traits (sans the love for divas, because we all know the only woman in Cole's life is his mum) and putting them directly into Cole's persona. The Miz was one thing, but now he seemingly fawns over Del Rio... it's the same shit Lawler used to do with Triple H, with Stephanie, Vince and guys like Regal and heel Taker.

My beef is that Cole is just no good at doing any of it, yet we're subjected to his endless yapping. Meanwhile, the ever natural Jerry just chirps on about divas, sticks up for the faces and gets all outraged by the actions of the heels.

Switch it up, WWE!

·
Registered
813 Posts
They need to either go full blown heel with Cole and have it make some semblance of sense, or just scrap the whole thing, because right now, it's inane.

For instance, last night during the Alberto Del Rio segment, Del Rio comes out and Cole pulls the whole hell announcer schtick and things are fine. Then the moment the Del Rio attacks Evan Bourne, King comments on how Cole loves him and Cole says, "I don't condone this part of it."

Either you do condone that type of behavior, and you condone Alex Riley and the Miz jumping Daniel Bryan, and you make fun of R-Truth... or you call everything down the middle. It is REALLY strange to waver back and forth like that, and it's not drawing heel heat... it's just being annoying and bad at your job.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
No, Cole is good at doing it as his commentary with Matthews proves. He's good at being a generally heelish announcer who still respects some of the faces but is, first and foremost, the company man, the voice of corporate WWE.

The point is that Lawler either kills the conversation by not being interested in what Cole says so Cole can't build the obnoxious character. He just says "that's your opinion, Michael" and leaves it whereas Matthews actually argues with Cole allowing him to be obnoxious and gets the new gimmick over more.

Bring in Matthews!

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
I can't stand Lawler anymore. He was such a good heel announcer, it just came naturally to him. I used to love when he was fueding with Bret Hart and Lawler would constantly rip on Brets parents. I don't even know what to say about him now.

I got to agree with the people who say to bring in Josh Matthews. Him and Cole on NXT are great. Some of thier best stuff is when they argue about Danielson.

·
Banned
2,954 Posts
isn't Cole married, OP

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
I think they've got it spot on at the moment, I wouldn't have Lawler as the face though, I'd have somebody else like Dusty Rhodes.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
It really seems like King isn't interested in WWE much anymore(or maybe just having cole as a partner). Whenever he got to talk about past moments, he loved to do that, and went on and on about JR when talking about him.

·
Premium Member
8,457 Posts
I think they are doing it great, Lawler as a heel has passed and he probably only has two or three more years with the company left he is past 60 I think. Plus they need to build up a new heel commentator and they are doing it great by making Cole the GM's spokesman.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts