Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately there's no other real competition out there we can use as a comparison tool to shed light on just how bad it is. WCW wasn't just shit... it was shit because there was another company out there putting on a bigger, better show week after week.

There's no real frame of reference when you're the only show in town. But make no mistake, the modern WWE is equally as much of an incoherent mess as WCW was towards it's last year or so.

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
I disagree. The show has gotten progressively better over the past few months.

·
Registered
21,621 Posts
WWE in 2012 are miles better than WCW in 2000...and I'm a huge WCW fan and followed them over the WWF in the "Monday Night Wars." For the people who think WWE is bad now then they must have a skewed vision of what's going on.

·
Registered
22,868 Posts
In my opinion its been teetering off and on to that since 09

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
John Cena v. John Laurinitis

Live. On PPV.

A month after the return of Brock Lesnar.

2 months after the return of The Rock.
wow now that you put it that way, i think ur right :/

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
It is pretty bad, but most of us are just getting older and have outgrown wrestling as a whole.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
WWE in 2012 are miles better than WCW in 2000...and I'm a huge WCW fan and followed them over the WWF in the "Monday Night Wars." For the people who think WWE is bad now then they must have a skewed vision of what's going on.
WCW was chock full of underdeveloped angles, uninteresting characters, and story arcs that were created and dissolved at the drop of a dime without a moment's notice. No one got over, no one knew what was going on, and the whole show was an incoherent mess.

Sound familiar?

·
Is a Snit Head
22,215 Posts
It really isn't. Storyline wise maybe it could be but wrestling wise is miles ahead of what WCW was in 2000. I actually have the full Nitro/Thunder/PPVs from WCW from 2000-2001 and I watched the first 4 and half months of the set and there just haven't been any great matches.

·
Registered
131 Posts
It is pretty bad, but most of us are just getting older and have outgrown wrestling as a whole.
It's not even that. It's that WWE is too kid friendly. They seriously need to make one show TV-14.

Also, it is too predictable for me and the current WWE is to face-friendly.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It really isn't. Storyline wise maybe it could be but wrestling wise is miles ahead of what WCW was in 2000. I actually have the full Nitro/Thunder/PPVs from WCW from 2000-2001 and I watched the first 4 and half months of the set and there just haven't been any great matches.
A great wrestling match cannot exist without great storytelling. Two guys you've never heard of can go out there and put on the most incredible worked match you've ever seen. I'm talking breathtaking spots, near falls galore, and perfect timing from start to finish. You'd forget about it by the week's end.

Meanwhile here we are 25 years later and Hogan v. Andre is still one of the greatest matches of all time despite Andre having the mobility of a snail at the time. There's a reason we won't be talking about that wonderful six man tag match from RAW all those weeks ago... cause no one gives a shit.

And from a storytelling standpoint, WWE is giving WCW a really strong run for it's money right now.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I wouldn't go as far as saying it's currently WCW 2000 level. WCW early/mid 2000 was really, really bad, a level we haven't seen since. Not even TNA has sunk that low. I'd compare the current WWE product to WCW 2001: A struggling product with a heavily depleted roster desperately trying to find something to build on for the future....and failing to do so.

Really, current WWE reminds me of WCW and its various problems so much that it isn't even funny.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No. No. No.

I suffered through that atrocious shit as a diehard WCW fan. Fuck that. WWE's worst RAW's would be the high points of those WCW years.
C-List celebrity guest hosts, 40% commercials, PPV's 3 weeks apart with absolutely no build whatsoever, random tag matches, titles having no real meaning, the divas division, gimmicks introduced, gimmicks dropped, gimmicks introduced again, gimmicks dropped again, Jerry Springer segments, Big Show having to apologize for mocking his boss's voice, the divas division, Great Khali matches, dance-offs, anonymous GM's playing a major role for an entire year's worth of storylines but never being revealed, superstars showing contradictory behavior from week to week, contrived angles, the divas division, etc. etc. etc.

I could go on.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts