Wrestling Forum banner

121 - 140 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
What facts? He didn't even mentioned Austin's name. lol. and since when did Austin became a lockerroom leader? LMFAO. He was a loner, he said it COUNTLESS times. Rock was clearly referring to Taker.

I know for a fact that Taker wasn't happy about it, cause the day before WM 18 in a shoot interview he was asked about his opinion on bringing the nwo back, and Taker said that he didn't like the decision, him and many other wrestlers.

Did Taker turned down the match with Hogan too?

Rock said Vince already had "Hogan/Rock" in mind when he came to him.

Just stop.
Undertaker didn’t had a opponent when WMX8 was close so why when Austin saw Rock vs Hogan he could’ve went
Stone Cold vs Ric Flair
Or Stone Cold vs The Undertaker
Simply he wanted to win that’s all I guess

·
Registered
138 Posts
He alluded to it. That was years ago when he did the press tour for Scorpion King. He was on unscripted With Chris Connelly, I believe, and he basically said that there are certain talent that are in higher positions, are insecure, and only looking out for themselves, they don't give a damn about business. A day or two later, all the dirtsheet confirmed that HHH was pretty upset about Rock's comments(which is a big indication). Then about a week later after Rock said what he said, from out of nowhere, Shawn Michaels said this on TV:

9:10

Btw, on that same interview, Rock said he consider Jericho and Austin to be two of his closest friends in the business.
How ironic him saying that The Rock stole the spotlight from HHH and Austin stole from him Rock done everything by deserve he was 100% better than HHH he was never saw as a main event wrestler until Summerslam while they push him and he wasn’t at that time

·
Registered
138 Posts
Oh wow thanks for the info. Rock was right. To this day Steph and small extension HHH are out for themselves but it was probably worse back then. But Vince is an idiot, he should know Rock and Austin were his biggest draws meaning bringing more money for him. I hope back then those two didn't try to mess up Rock. I doubt it though.
Well they did Rock year in 2000 draw more than Austin in 98 and Hogan in 86 while having the weakest booking for a top guy ever if they gave him the same as Austin and Hogan he would’ve drawn the same as both together even If he was given a decent booking

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yeah that never made sense to me. Even The Rock wouldn't do this and he is the most agreeable top star ever lol.
I mean he is not even a wrestler Coach so it was nonsense to job for him first he should’ve done matches for months I think if that was the case maybe Rock would’ve accepted he gave some good momentum to Hurricane with doing great promos with him and he even lost to him then guest what his momentum was stopped! Who else than HHH

·
Registered
9,913 Posts
If you lock in Rock/Hogan and Jericho/Triple H, the biggest match left for Austin is probably Taker, to be honest. I really don't think Austin would have minded doing the job for Taker -- he always gave Taker lots. But should he? That's another question.

·
Registered
405 Posts
The original plans for WM18 were Hogan vs Austin, which would have been billed as the top guy of the 80s vs the top guy of the Attitude era. At the time, Austin refused to work the angel due to negative experiences with Hogan in WCW, and that he did not trust Hogan to put him over. This was very legitimate, as others like Sting, Bret Hart, Kevin Nash, Piper, and even Goldberg had similar issues with Hogan during the past decade.

Years later, Austin said he regretted his decision, and should have worked with Hogan, as it was a once in a lifetime opportunity, and the Rock-Hogan match ended up becoming one of the greatest WM matches in company history. Looking back, the WWE really should have had Austin fight HHH, instead of Jericho, as they could have turned HHH back to heel, and for all his success in his career, a Jericho-HHH match did not have the same appeal as Austin-HHH. One big problem I had with the Jericho-HHH match, was the 2000 feud was well received, but the conclusion of the feud was disappointing, and I thought the WWE should have put the belt on Jericho for a couple of months, to elevate him to the next level. A face Jericho vs a heel HHH would have been far better, since I think the roles fitted both characters, and most importantly, it was in Toronto, Jericho's home country.

Scott Hall peaked in the mid 90s, as the Razor Ramon, but even Hall never really had a run as a top guy in the company. He absolutely should have had one, but his personal demons prevented this. Looking back, Hall had been out of the main event picture since early 1999, due to his demons, so the match with Austin wasn't a big draw at the time. It would have been in 1997-98, but that ship had sailed.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
If you lock in Rock/Hogan and Jericho/Triple H, the biggest match left for Austin is probably Taker, to be honest. I really don't think Austin would have minded doing the job for Taker -- he always gave Taker lots. But should he? That's another question.
Austin and HHH vs the nWo (Hall & Nash) would've been a much better alternative. That would leave Y2J fending off against Kurt Angle in a USA vs Canada match for the WWF title.

·
Registered
9,913 Posts
Austin and HHH vs the nWo (Hall & Nash) would've been a much better alternative. That would leave Y2J fending off against Kurt Angle in a USA vs Canada match for the WWF title.
I did a fantasy re-book of the show and kind of came up with something similar. I had Kurt Angle against Edge though, with Angle as the heel, and Austin, Rock & Triple H against the nWo. I think my main event was Rob Van Dam going against Jericho, which doesn't seem that "heavy," but I guess you could have it take place earlier in the show.

Now, thinking about it, there's something to that Jericho and Angle match. I think you could have brought something out of each guy, who both kind of needed it. I guess Angle would win the Royal Rumble? It may not seem that "bankable" as a main event,, but if you knew you were going that way, Angle could have a Ric Flair-like performance. The PPV is in Atlanta where Angle won his gold medal. You could kind of channel Bret vs. Austin. Even if both guys were heels, you could move Jericho away from being so whiny and just being a piece of shit with a chip on his shoulder, and you could continue your process of "maturing" Kurt. I don't hate it.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I did a fantasy re-book of the show and kind of came up with something similar. I had Kurt Angle against Edge though, with Angle as the heel, and Austin, Rock & Triple H against the nWo. I think my main event was Rob Van Dam going against Jericho, which doesn't seem that "heavy," but I guess you could have it take place earlier in the show.

Now, thinking about it, there's something to that Jericho and Angle match. I think you could have brought something out of each guy, who both kind of needed it. I guess Angle would win the Royal Rumble? It may not seem that "bankable" as a main event,, but if you knew you were going that way, Angle could have a Ric Flair-like performance. The PPV is in Atlanta where Angle won his gold medal. You could kind of channel Bret vs. Austin. Even if both guys were heels, you could move Jericho away from being so whiny and just being a piece of shit with a chip on his shoulder, and you could continue your process of "maturing" Kurt. I don't hate it.
Well, not quite. The point of Angle vs Y2J is that Jericho feels unappreciated by US fans, so he renounces his citizenship and reiterates his Canadian identity. Angle, being built as the WWF's national hero for moral fiber after the 9/11 attacks, takes insult to this and swears he'll win the Rumble and make Jericho tap out in Toronto. Jericho, in turn, points out that Angle was being humiliated by fellow Canadian Benoit at Mania X-Seven, which forced Angle to cheat, thus Jericho swears to "avenge" his former tag team partner at Mania by beating Angle. Also, the fact that Jericho never met Angle at Vengeance to become Undisputed Champion plays a major factor in this feud as well.

·
Registered
246 Posts
imo a better and bigger fit for the title match would've been Taker/HHH, which was hinted at since Triple h's announced return in early 02, and subsequently that leaves Austin vs Flair which is a big money match in itself..

Jericho was the monkey wrench in the gear for that PPV, if Taker's heel title run started earlier than what transpired in real life that maybe that WM would've had a super-card, not just one super-match.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
imo a better and bigger fit for the title match would've been Taker/HHH, which was hinted at since Triple h's announced return in early 02, and subsequently that leaves Austin vs Flair which is a big money match in itself..

Jericho was the monkey wrench in the gear for that PPV, if Taker's heel title run started earlier than what transpired in real life that maybe that WM would've had a super-card, not just one super-match.
Austin and Flair had no heat, though.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Austin and Flair had no heat, though.
They could've pulled the trigger on Flair's heel turn earlier, or better yet have it be a babyface vs babyface match, with Vince scheduling that match just to see Austin kick the shit out of Flair the same way Austin did to him all those years.. Maybe the "feel good" moment after the match is Austin stunnering Vince, then he and all the Four Horsemen drink beer in the ring with Vince unconscious (which goes a full circle route from the Wrestlemania 17 ending when he and Vince drank beer with Rock unconscious, kind of a redemption thing)

·
Registered
9,913 Posts
Well, not quite. The point of Angle vs Y2J is that Jericho feels unappreciated by US fans, so he renounces his citizenship and reiterates his Canadian identity. Angle, being built as the WWF's national hero for moral fiber after the 9/11 attacks, takes insult to this and swears he'll win the Rumble and make Jericho tap out in Toronto. Jericho, in turn, points out that Angle was being humiliated by fellow Canadian Benoit at Mania X-Seven, which forced Angle to cheat, thus Jericho swears to "avenge" his former tag team partner at Mania by beating Angle. Also, the fact that Jericho never met Angle at Vengeance to become Undisputed Champion plays a major factor in this feud as well.
I don't hate it. That is largely what I had in mind, but I think the difficulty runs into Angle's reaction in Toronto. And he and Jericho never fought each other because Angle lost, and he was already a heel at this point. But if you could have kept Angle a babyface and just had him go into alien territory as an experiment? Sure. You could possibly try and be really clever and leverage the fans away from Jericho where he calls himself "the best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be" just to be blasphemous. Angle and Jericho may have been good enough, even then (keep in mind Angle was still really new) to do something amazing where they have Angle slowly become the babyface even in Canada. Orton got a pop for beating Benoit.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The original plans for WM18 were Hogan vs Austin, which would have been billed as the top guy of the 80s vs the top guy of the Attitude era. At the time, Austin refused to work the angel due to negative experiences with Hogan in WCW, and that he did not trust Hogan to put him over. This was very legitimate, as others like Sting, Bret Hart, Kevin Nash, Piper, and even Goldberg had similar issues with Hogan during the past decade.
No that wasn’t the plan Hogan came so they asked him who he gonna face he said he wanted both but one on one so they brought the idea to The Rock and Austin so he simply refused while The Rock accepted not knowing what the outcome will be
Years later, Austin said he regretted his decision, and should have worked with Hogan, as it was a once in a lifetime opportunity, and the Rock-Hogan match ended up becoming one of the greatest WM matches in company history. Looking back, the WWE really should have had Austin fight HHH, instead of Jericho, as they could have turned HHH back to heel, and for all his success in his career, a Jericho-HHH match did not have the same appeal as Austin-HHH. One big problem I had with the Jericho-HHH match, was the 2000 feud was well received, but the conclusion of the feud was disappointing, and I thought the WWE should have put the belt on Jericho for a couple of months, to elevate him to the next level. A face Jericho vs a heel HHH would have been far better, since I think the roles fitted both characters, and most importantly, it was in Toronto, Jericho's home country.

Scott Hall peaked in the mid 90s, as the Razor Ramon, but even Hall never really had a run as a top guy in the company. He absolutely should have had one, but his personal demons prevented this. Looking back, Hall had been out of the main event picture since early 1999, due to his demons, so the match with Austin wasn't a big draw at the time. It would have been in 1997-98, but that ship had sailed.

·
Registered
75 Posts

The real question is how does the Toronto crowd react to Austin and Hogan? There's no way you get the type of reactions that Rock-Hogan got, right? I think we ended up with the better match, moment, and atmosphere.

·
Registered
21 Posts
How does everyone think a Triple Threat between Hogan, Rock, and Austin would have gone at Mania? From a booking perspective, I think the NWO would have been involved at some point in the match, which would have killed much of the Hogan nostalgia that ended up taking place. Either way, it would make sense to have Hogan eat the pin from The Rock. I'd love to hear how people would have booked the flow of the match.

·
Registered
138 Posts
How does everyone think a Triple Threat between Hogan, Rock, and Austin would have gone at Mania? From a booking perspective, I think the NWO would have been involved at some point in the match, which would have killed much of the Hogan nostalgia that ended up taking place. Either way, it would make sense to have Hogan eat the pin from The Rock. I'd love to hear how people would have booked the flow of the match.
Like going that way would’ve been good and The Rock going over seeing his last three Manias

·
Registered
923 Posts
That narrative didn't make any sense to me. If Hogan was hellbent on not putting Austin over, why would he put over the Rock at WM X8 then?
Rock laid down clean for Hogan on RAW in a tag match shortly before Mania...Rock was the ONLY top star that would do a random job on TV. Hogan was able to get his win, AND, he was probably promised the return to "Red and Yellow" and the title for doing the job to Rock. He did become champion a month after the match and (trivia) was the last WWF Champion and first WWE Champion!

Austin would NEVER make such concessions to anyone while Rock took losses left and right even when he was at the absolute top of his wrestling career.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The real question is how does the Toronto crowd react to Austin and Hogan? There's no way you get the type of reactions that Rock-Hogan got, right? I think we ended up with the better match, moment, and atmosphere.
Imagine if Austin delayed his heel turn by a year and did the exact same thing, but against Hogan at WM 18...

121 - 140 of 146 Posts