Wrestling Forum banner

101 - 120 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
Austin was suppose to face Vince at XX and Coach at Taboo Tuesday 2005 (there was build for it)
Yeah I remember that rumor too. Again, this was another time if Vince really could have booked Austin vs Hogan he could have. I mean Austin agreed to Vince and Coach for a match, but yet had the Hogan dream match he claims he needed?

Unless this is a Cena vs Taker situation at Mania where Vince made the call that he did not want to ruin his money train with both men. Vince blew that too which could have easily gone down at WM 26 or 27. I get it though as he was protecting both his Mania drawing cards.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Yeah I remember some people were expecting Hogan vs Austin at WM XX and even throwing in Bruno Sammartino as special ref. Nothing of the sort, but that looks pretty damn appealing on the marquee for something called 20 Years In The Making.

Steve Austin ends up getting used in the special ref role for Goldberg and Lesnar. It's not like WWE didn't hear about the rumors and possibly couldn't try to get it done although there was talk Hognan hated his WM 19 pay out.
Austin was too banged up to wrestle again. He nearly died of a stroke or something prior to his match with The Rock in Seattle.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Yeah I remember that rumor too. Again, this was another time if Vince really could have booked Austin vs Hogan he could have. I mean Austin agreed to Vince and Coach for a match, but yet had the Hogan dream match he claims he needed?

Unless this is a Cena vs Taker situation at Mania where Vince made the call that he did not want to ruin his money train with both men. Vince blew that too which could have easily gone down at WM 26 or 27. I get it though as he was protecting both his Mania drawing cards.

The Vince match had build all of 2003, Vince going on Raw and Smackdown every week smacking around Zack Gowen was suppose to put heat on him to get his ass kicked by Austin, It was going to be a street fight, Austin was cleared to do it but backed out last min and was added to the Lesnar match as ref.

Austin has a habit of agreeing to matches and backing out last second

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
The Vince match had build all of 2003, Vince going on Raw and Smackdown every week smacking around Zack Gowen was suppose to put heat on him to get his ass kicked by Austin, It was going to be a street fight, Austin was cleared to do it but backed out last min and was added to the Lesnar match as ref.

I think Jim Cornette made a reference to that in his Sable shoot. Don't blame him, though; Why would a BAMF like Austin sell for a guy who just got powerbombed by his own fake-titted wife?

·
Registered
959 Posts
Austin was too banged up to wrestle again. He nearly died of a stroke or something prior to his match with The Rock in Seattle.
Then how come there was build for a Coach match in 2005........ lol
By the end of Raw they already made a VS match up screen.

·
Registered
6,611 Posts

Yeah rumor also had Austin not actually even knowing Vince was building the match throughout the year and why he didn't go through it. He might have just thought it may have sucked too.

Anyways, it just shows that Austin has say on who he wants to fight. It's been said Hogan and Vince were up for a Austin showdown and it was Austin who never followed through with it regardless of the WM 18 scenario. There was plenty of other times they could have done it.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I think the whole build had to do with USA network wanting Austin on Raw every week
That wouldn't have worked anymore. Austin needed to be in a non-performing role to appear more often than not, and he was already done with the co-manager role by late '03.

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
I think the whole build had to do with USA network wanting Austin on Raw every week
If this is true how is Coach beating Austin helping this? It would just make Austin look washed for losing to a commentator lol. The biggest and baddest star who went face to face with Tyson now losing to a commentator lol.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
If you go back and watch Austin's last full year (2001) as an active talent you can tell it's only a matter of time until he's done. He was rarely wrestling on TV and only doing the major house shows at the time. He had slowed down significantly as well in ring.

Even if he recovered, why would Austin lose to Coach? Yes, LOSE! To Jonathan fuckin' Coachman! Rock's interview bitch! On PPV!

WHY?!
Doesn't make much sense. Austin Vs Coach seems to me like it'd just be lock up, kicks in the corner, a couple stunners and a beer bash.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Rock was an untouchable at that point. He was the company's biggest star and he was making Vince a shit load of money by not only wrestling, but making movies as well. Austin however got shafted and pushed to the side for a returning HHH, who was having a tough time getting over as a babyface.
Basically HHH, Michaels and Stephanie couldn't touch Rock. Makes sense.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Sounds more like Off The Record on TSN.

I'm pretty sure it was Chris Connelly. Rock did OTR only once.

Then how come there was build for a Coach match in 2005........ lol
By the end of Raw they already made a VS match up screen.

Austin losing to Coach is simply dumb. Actually, the whole thing didn't make any sense. The only good thing that came out of this little feud is this promo:

LOL. She tried to play the "I'm a boss lady" bullshit, and Austin basically took a big crap all over her.

·
Registered
138 Posts
^ Oh stop, now you're actually writing Austin's verbals, coming up with his insults, and projecting what he would say - in your mind - during a promo.. do you not see how weak (and cringy for that matter) this is?

Everything you're saying is purely speculation based on your own conformation bias. You're saying Hogan would only job if it didn't hurt him and when given examples you dispute them not by a factually based thesis but by whatever compromise fits your whims.
"Hogan lost only because he knew the loss wouldn't hurt him" well if we're gonna take the mind-reading route I'm gonna say that I read Hogan's mind completely different, I don't know which signal you were getting but mine told me a different story.

Also by that logic, I could pickpoint whatever result occured in professional wrestling throughout history, and mold it to whatever suits my agenda. I could say for example - and by your token - Austin walked out on Lesnar because he was afraid he'd make a bigger star than him by that loss, or that Austin himself refused that match against Hogan in 05 for the same reason you stated (a match btw which Hogan himself proposed showing up on RAW trying to hype it) Only I'd look like an unreasonably fueled anti-Austin mark wouldn't I?

I could argue all day with you about the Shawn Michaels case and the real story behind it, or I could go on about how your example isn't an efficient one as Shawn isn't known for his professionalism for that matter, as well as Randy during his early days. Fact - as stated by the man himself - is that Austin was completely frustrated in 02 by the creative and by the nWo barging in specifically, he didn't felt he had to compel with that group and was on edge because of their presence, hence him no-showing the night after Wrestlemania18. He hated the fact that Rock gets to wrestle Hogan while he gets Scott Hall, as he mentioned in his podcast. He hated (again, all documented) that they were getting babyface reactions throughout the build up of that WM, and them showing up to tv drugged and late only fueled his frustrations even more. According to Scott Hall and Kevin Nash, the original finish was suppose to be Hall going over Austin, and Rock going over Hogan but the nWo attacks him in the aftermath.

Please try to deal with both facts and results here, and not the inner-workings or the subconscious of a certain someone's mind of which you concluded cause you didn't like him/her. Oh and try not to treat Meltzer's words as gospel
He could’ve found another opponent and The Rock vs Hogan was great for The Rock he lost three WM while he should’ve won in WM16 arguably 17 also so now facing Hogan was huge in terms of WrestleMania results but Austin could’ve went against Undertaker who was searching for an opponent or even Ric Flair imagine past vs Present
Hogan vs The Rock
Ric Flair vs Austin would’ve been huge

·
Registered
138 Posts
No, Jericho main evented at HHH's selfish insistance because he was champion, and HHH was the challenger. Mania could've been held in North Korea and HHH would still insist on having the title match main event over Rock vs Hogan, all because he thought his shit was hotter than them. What a twat.
But if we look at matches like Hogan vs Rock was worthy of being the main event just the other match came last just like WM19 Stone Cold vs The Rock
WM25 HBK vs Taker
HHH sure take the glory for being last but none of the the match against Orton or Y2J is worthy of a main event

·
Registered
138 Posts
The rumble wasn't really about Austin, it was about HHH coming back.

The reason Austin main-evented all those PPVs, is because, he was the WWE champion, and that's the same reason why HHH/Jericho main-evented WM when everybody knew, including Chris and Hunter, that Rock/Hogan was main-event. As soon as Austin dropped the belt he never main-evented a PPV ever again.

...and coming out 2nd does not mean anything. lol. I've seen HHH come out after Rock, does that mean that he was the bigger star?...

The moment Rock made his return in late '01, it was clear that the company was going full speed ahead with him. He ended the 4 month long invasion storyline by pinning Austin...They gave him Hogan for WM...and months later, he became the 1st 7 time WWE champion. Not to mention, he was the most over wrestler in their roster.

How could Austin be their top star when they didn't even have any WM plan for him?...
Still Austin trying to dodge him like The Rock could’ve have challenged him at Summerslam 01 and win the title coz he done the favours while leaving at WMX7 but it never happened probably for Austin jobbing for The Rock was the end of the world for him

·
Registered
138 Posts
He was the champion that was in the main events, over the Rock, on Raw, Smackdown and PPVs post Rock's comeback. Jericho main evented as champion but his title rain was in mid-show segments on Raw so they aren't the same. Austin's feud with Angle was more important than Rock's with Jericho. After Austin dropped the belt, we had the Royal Rumble and then No Way Out where the main event was Jericho (c) vs Austin, and ended with the NWO spray painting Austin. Literally the PPV before Mania we had Austin in the main event and Rock in the semi-main against Taker.

They tend to send the 'bigger star' or at least the more important at the time, out 2nd when two guys team up. Even when HHH returned and tagged with Rock in 2002, it was Rock coming out 2nd usually.

Rock was obviously the bigger mainstream star at this point but the company clearly put Austin back to #1. It wasn't until the mania build up where Austin took a backseat to Rock. I'm not a Rock hater or Austin wanker, by the way. The Rock is my all time favourite and got me into wrestling in mid 2000. I hated Austin when I was younger, but Vince had a clear #1 in his mind and it was Austin right up until that point.
Still the only thing he had more was I guess most PPV shows main event in 01 while the 4 months he was out and then he was still the champ but crazy how Rock who missed 4 months had most Raw shows main event in 01 tied with Austin (36 both ) idk about Smackdown but PPV Austin was above still he catch him

101 - 120 of 146 Posts