• WWF

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was going to hold this one off a bit, but I'm awake and bored...

Dean Malenko
Promotions Worked
ECW: 1994-1995
WCW: 1995-2000
WWE/WWF: 2000-2001​

Dean Malenko was a no-nonsense mat based monster who made a huge impact as a member of Triple Threat in ECW, The Horsemen in WCW and the Radicalz in the WWF.

-------------------
Break it Down
-------------------

Feuds
ECW
2 Cold Scropio, Eddie Guerrero, Sabu & The Tazmaniac

WCW
Rey Misterio Jr, Ultimo Dragon, Syxx, Chris Benoit, Jeff Jarrett, Steve McMichael, Chris Jericho, Curt Hennig & Barry Windham, Raven & Kanyon, David Flair, Jersey Triad (DDP, Kanyon, Bigelow), The Filthy Animals (w/Revolution), The Varsity Club (w/Revolution)

WWF
Scotty 2 Hotty, Eddie Guerrero, The Hardy Boyz (w/Perry Saturn)

--------------------

Championships and Accomplishments
ECW
1-Time ECW World Tag Team Champion w/Chris Benoit
2-Time ECW World Television Champion

WCW
4-Time WCW Cruiserweight Champion
1-Time WCW United States Champion
1-Time WCW World Tag Team Champion w/Chris Benoit

WWF
2-Time WWF Lightheavyweight Champion

-----------------------
My Opinion

Dean Malenko didn't really benefit from the jump to WWF as much as you'd think lol. I'm going WCW on this one. Malenko's ECW was fun but only lasted a year. His founding of Triple Threat and feuding with Eddie Guerrero really served as a chance to get signed with WCW.

The Iceman was awesome in WCW. He dominated the Cruiserweight Division and then held the US title for over 6 months. His matches with Rey and Ultimo Dragon made me a fan of WCW. His feud with Chris Jericho was simply awesome in 1998. And then he became a freakin Horseman! His team with Benoit was awesome and even Revolution was cool for a while.

In the WWF he really didn't do much except dominate the lightheavyweight division...but there wasn't much of a division. He became Double Ho Seven, a ladies man parody of James Bond? Oh well. Saturn had moppy so I really don't know what was good about their WWF run.

WCW win IMO.

-----------------------

So what do you think WWF, WCW or ECW?

-----------------------

VOTE AND LEAVE COMMENT ON WHY YOU VOTED THAT WAY

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
WCW all the way!! He was the man in the CW division back then, and that's saying a lot considering all the talent they had...

·
22,784 Posts
Despite being "held back" by WCW (in his opinion, even though I am a MASSIVE Malenko mark, the US title was as far as he should have gone anyway), he had the better feuds, matches, and bigger title wins there. From the stuff I have seen of him in Japan, he did well there too, but I haven't seen nearly enough to know how great his run over there actually was.

·
Registered
975 Posts
He'll always be remembered most (in my opinion anyways) for his time in WCW because he and rey mysterio (and a few other cruiserweights) made their style of wrestling mainstream, so I think WCW hands down. ECW is probably second then lastly WWE/F. The Man of 1,000 Holds was simply incredible in WCW though.

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts
WCW, without question. He was featured as a prominent member of the cruiserweight division and had some of the best matches in that division's history.

The highlight for Dean was his feud with Chris Jericho. After Hogan-Sting, I rate it as the best WCW feud of the late 90's.

·
Registered
121 Posts
That Cruiserweight battle royal he won whilst disguised as Ciclope was epic. The reaction he got when he unmasked and Chris Jericho's reaction was phenomenal. His later run with the Revolution was kinda crap though, as he was lost in the shuffle. His Japan stuff is worth tracking down.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
His only highlight in the WWF was that Lightheavyweight Championship match with Scotty 2 Hotty at Backlash 2000. Fantastic stuff that.

No doubt about is that his WCW tenure tops the lot. He had some cracking matches and was used proficiently during that time.

LOL. I almost forgot about that.

·
Sly as a fox, ferocious as a lion
3,031 Posts
Despite being "held back" by WCW (in his opinion, even though I am a MASSIVE Malenko mark, the US title was as far as he should have gone anyway), he had the better feuds, matches, and bigger title wins there.
This.

In WWE/F, we've had "Double Ho Seven". Didn't do his career any justice.

·
Damn Fine Cup of Coffee
12,954 Posts
WCW but if he would had stayed in ECW, they would have pushed him more.

Ignoring the WWF/E, ECW would have pushed Benoit better than WCW. Malenko and Benoit were a great tag team in ECW and either would have eventually won the ECW WHC.

·
Premium Member
5,901 Posts
It’s obviously WCW. He was the US champion as early as ‘97. How awesome was it to see Guerrero/Malenko fighting for that particular title, Rey/Iaukea for the TV title, and Syxx holding the cruiserweight title. Then you had Ultimo Dragon/Psicosis in exhibition matches on PPV. It was crazy. It didn’t matter which division he was wrestling in, Malenko was the glue that held the midcard together for the longest time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts