Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As Everybody knows, WWE has gone thru many peeks & Valleys, as well as different "Era's". As much as I am Objective & as much as I enjoy Daniel Bryan , CM Punk, Ambose, Ziggler, I was watching an old Promo video from WrestleMania 17. It was hyping Rock-Austin , the song was "My Way". I know you all know what I'm talking about. & I know it's been said to death, but I miss the Attitude Era so fucking much. What was it? The fans? The Superstars? What drew sooo many people to the Attitude Era? & What drew so many fans to Love Austin, Rock, Angle? what was it? Record ratings 8.0's . Why is it so different now? It's a legitimate question. Why did so many fans love the Attitude Era, & Why did they love the Superstars, & Why do people dislike it so much now?

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Um a ton of people like this era. You can't listen to IWC opinions as they bitch about every era.

Imagine how many people record/watch on YouTube/stream/watch across the world now.

·
Ted the Moth
12,866 Posts
This really has been done to death. But I think a lot of it was sheer luck to be honest. Rock and Austin are both once in a lifetime performers and they were BOTH in the same company at the same time. Also, there were still territories, so it made the wrestlers a lot hungrier to get to the WWF and more importantly success there.

·
You spent too much time looking at my avatar and s
7,822 Posts
There was a huge thread on here a while back of us reading old usenet posts during the attitude era. While 2012 of the PG era is arguably competing to be one of the worst watered down and boring years for the PG era so far, there was just as much complaining in the AE. There was people complaining about The Rock at the peak of his career, people bitching about Austin at the peak of his career. For some god damn reason Test was a IWC sweethart..

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
^ True, from the IWC viewpoint there were still a lot of issues, although i don't know if we're ever truly happy.

From a teens POV it was mostly epic. To the OP: It was a totally different time back then. Everything came together and culminated in the perfect storm. Decades of sports entertainment reached their zenith and matched the prevailing mindset of so many, reflected in the fans responses. Things felt fresh and innovative. Great stories and performers had been built up the old fashioned way, all the experiences merged and created a hot product that could tap into the times. Times have changed though and that time could only last so long, everything that goes up must come down, that was the very top.
To many anyway.

Raw/Attitude/Ruthless Aggression.

Not words that can really be applied fully today. For so many different reasons.

·
Registered
326 Posts
There was a huge thread on here a while back of us reading old usenet posts during the attitude era. While 2012 of the PG era is arguably competing to be one of the worst watered down and boring years for the PG era so far, there was just as much complaining in the AE. There was people complaining about The Rock at the peak of his career, people bitching about Austin at the peak of his career. For some god damn reason Test was a IWC sweethart..
Does anybody have a link to this? I saw it not too long ago as well, but forgot what the thread is called so I can't search for it. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I guess there are a lot of nostalgic feelings when looking back on the Attitude Era, especially for many of us who were introduced to wrestling during the time, but it wasn't all that good. I believe in the late 90's and early 00's the rosters were deep with some magnificent performers and that made the era the way we remember it now.

I believe the talent today is there, is all a matter of booking and writing from the creative department.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts